Swimming snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redlittlejim

Reaction score
I have a read a few post where owners say there snakes have gone swimming with them and they love it! was curious if this is in a chlorine pool? is it safe for say my water python to go for a tip when im swimming? i thought the chlorine would be harmful

Cheers in advance

Chlorine is fine, but I wouldn't put it in there on purpose as it's a higher level chlorine that standard tap.

Anyone out there put their stimsons python in the bath for a swim?
Curious as they are predominantly a 'dryer' climate snake.

i would imagine a salt chlorinated pool would be ok for short to intermediate periods. im not 100% on regular chlorine pools but i would think it would be ok so long as it is not a pungent eye-burningly chlorinated pool. i have put the turtles in the chlorinated pool for periods of up to an hour before. and in the salt chlorinated pool we accidentally left them in there for two days with no issues at all.

i would imagine a salt chlorinated pool would be ok for short to intermediate periods. im not 100% on regular chlorine pools but i would think it would be ok so long as it is not a pungent eye-burningly chlorinated pool. i have put the turtles in the chlorinated pool for periods of up to an hour before. and in the salt chlorinated pool we accidentally left them in there for two days with no issues at all.

Can you clarify what is the difference between the chlorine in a salt chlorinated pool vs one using (say for eg) hyperchlorite?

I'd assue the concentrations of chlorine would be similar... and both have to be able to have UV protected chlorine...

To be honest, I'm not sure how the salt chlorinator works - I should look it up as it's something I might teach one day :)

Do turtles drink the water??? Would salt chlorinated be worse???

Can you clarify what is the difference between the chlorine in a salt chlorinated pool vs one using (say for eg) hyperchlorite?

I'd assue the concentrations of chlorine would be similar... and both have to be able to have UV protected chlorine...

To be honest, I'm not sure how the salt chlorinator works - I should look it up as it's something I might teach one day :)

Do turtles drink the water??? Would salt chlorinated be worse???

sorry mate i thought i replied to this....

to start off with, gday slimy, long time no speak. forgot to get in contact with you when i went up to cairns last for that beer. (it was dark when i walked home.. would have been much lighter at that time in melbourne)

to answer your question i have no idea what the difference is.. i know that it is nowhere near as harmful to your skin or eyes. there is no pungent chlorine odor that you sometimes get with pools and im thinking that maybe it works by still using chlorine (obviously) but turning it into a salt by bonding it to potassium or sodium? or by exctracting the chlorine as required into specific concentrations by breaking the bond between chlorine and the sodium or potassium?

as far as i could tell they were perfectly happy, one sitting on the step with the head out of the water and two swimming around the bottom of a 9ft pool. No odd behavior or feeding in the weeks following. wouldn't know if drinking it would be worse or not? depends on if its a hypertonic solution or not i guess... i cant imagine that the chemicals would be lethal considering the amount that i have accidentally swallowed and only suffer from mild personality disorder.

sorry mate i thought i replied to this....

to start off with, gday slimy, long time no speak. forgot to get in contact with you when i went up to cairns last for that beer. (it was dark when i walked home.. would have been much lighter at that time in melbourne)

to answer your question i have no idea what the difference is.. i know that it is nowhere near as harmful to your skin or eyes. there is no pungent chlorine odor that you sometimes get with pools and im thinking that maybe it works by still using chlorine (obviously) but turning it into a salt by bonding it to potassium or sodium? or by exctracting the chlorine as required into specific concentrations by breaking the bond between chlorine and the sodium or potassium?

as far as i could tell they were perfectly happy, one sitting on the step with the head out of the water and two swimming around the bottom of a 9ft pool. No odd behavior or feeding in the weeks following. wouldn't know if drinking it would be worse or not? depends on if its a hypertonic solution or not i guess... i cant imagine that the chemicals would be lethal considering the amount that i have accidentally swallowed and only suffer from mild personality disorder.

Ahhhh the infamous beer.... Never mind...

A site - selling these particular chlorinators suggests:

"A small amount of natural salt is dissolved into the pool water. The chlorinator's electrolytic cell is plumbed directly in-line with the pool equipment, typically after the heater. The power control unit is wired to the pool timer so it sanitises the water when the pump is running. As the water flows through the electrolytic cell, electrolysis separates the salt water into its basic components, sodium and chloride. Pure chlorine gas is produced by this process and goes to work in the pool to oxidize bacteria and sanitise the pool water. Following this process the chloride and sodium re-bond and become natural salt again."

So my guess is you're correct - sanitisation occurs in the filter, not the pool... So there's less 'free' chlorine in the pool - hence it's just like salt water... :)

However, freshwater turtles don't usually swim in high concentration salt water - obviously for a good reason.

My guess goes back to the ol' - if it's safe for us - then it's safe for them prophecy....

However, your snake (and/or turtle) may now have a mild personality disorder!

attachment.php
hahaha nah my snakes swim in my fish tank. and from what i can tell, the turtles have always had personality disorders

attachment.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back