Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A gravid one warming it's eggs would make some sense for sure!For some reason taipans are one of the meanest looking snakes to me because of their head and they're reasonably common where I am and if I happen to come across one I just kep my distance and admire from afar LOL

Is this one definatly a taipan? cause i would have called that one as a brown if it wasn`t so long! I`m begining to think that any snake i see with brown colouration i should call it venemous and leave it at that! ;) Oh nice find by the way!:D
=Carol. Yes, This is a Taipan. I was trying to point out some id factors in another post, and got ridiculed for it. The taipan has an orange eye colouring, surrounding the pupil. The Eastern Brown doesn't, can clearly see that in this photo. This is definetly a Taipan. But someone else here might argue that this in not a taipan, but an Eastern Brown. LOL.:lol:

=Carol. Yes, This is a Taipan. I was trying to point out some id factors in another post, and got ridiculed for it. The taipan has an orange eye colouring, surrounding the pupil. The Eastern Brown doesn't, can clearly see that in this photo. This is definetly a Taipan. But someone else here might argue that this in not a taipan, but an Eastern Brown. LOL.:lol:
The taipan/brown thread igot into a heated debate about it had a orange ring around the eye?:)

Mmmm, with those herps, I don't think you live "down the road from me".. but I wish I lived "down the road from you" ;).... Grass is always greener I guess...

Great pics................. tai's always look so angry with that bit over their eye!!!!!!
The brown tree snake in the second lot of pics looks like it's trying to hypnotise you!! LOL

Fantastic find....

Do taipans move much at night and what sort of habitat was it in?

People might um and ah as to what it is when shown a photo of a Brown snake....but there's no doubting a Taipan when you see one!

Where's Carol when you need an ID???
= Carol. Ok. This is a Taipan. The eye colouring gives this one away. Wide eye, orange colouring surrounding the pupil.

= Carol. Ok. This is a Taipan. The eye colouring gives this one away. Wide eye, orange colouring surrounding the pupil.

In time Carol, you will be able to tell them apart just by looking at their shape, to those who have seen plenty of both, they are as different as dogs and cats.. eye colour doesn't help those poor colour blind souls like myself, though I wouldn't trust eye colour in photos anyway.

Yeh..that first photo is distinctly a Taipan.....and like Jason says....its just the shape and feel of the animal....no hint of eye colour from that distance

In time Carol, you will be able to tell them apart just by looking at their shape, to those who have seen plenty of both, they are as different as dogs and cats.. eye colour doesn't help those poor colour blind souls like myself, though I wouldn't trust eye colour in photos anyway.
=Carol. The Eastern Browns have a narrower head as well. Scale count is all good and well if you can get close enough to pick one up and have a look. Great pics, anyway.

Saratoga. If you are talking about the pic in this post, you can clearly see the orange colouring around the eye. Most easterm browns have a smaller eye than the Taipans.

Carol, I was referring to the first pic of the whole snake on the road...not the close up. The point I was trying to get across is that you don't need the eye colour. Look at the whole snake......body shape, definition of neck from head, and the long coffin shaped head......that all says Taipan......you just dont' need the eye colour...you shoud be able to pick this as a Taipan from many meteres away!

it's a shame i didn't take that 3rd pic (on the grass) about half a second later as it took a lunge at me with it's mouth wide open, it unerved me somewhat, hence only a few pics
NEW UNDIES PLEASE ! LOL

The king of elapids.....
Fast; alert; and on the ball....demands respect.
incredible animals; thanks for the pic's herpkeeper ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back