TEMPERAMENT! How important is that to you???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Temperament is important to me, as my snakes are pets and get handled. That said, you have to work on it a bit - especially with young snakes. I have a Murray-Darling as a classroom snake and temperament is crucial in that situation, because I frequently get him out for students to touch (I still protect/control the head) and feed him with an audience. He's just perfect - very mellow and nothing puts him off his food. Not the prettiest snake, but perfect for his situation. There are other snakes at the school that are purely display specimens and are a bit bitey. It's great to have them, but the MD is more useful for teaching and making lessons interesting.

Temperament is important to me as im a first timer and it was a huge deal for me to get a snake. My lil girl is so placcid and calm and Im so in love with her. It wouldnt matter what they looked like to me as i find them all beautiful. I definitely like to handle them as they are so calming. In saying that, if she were to change and start nipping, she is a part of my family and id never get rid of her. She is a snake! But as i get more experienced and own more snakes, my thoughts on this may change.

I "selected" my first carpet by putting my nervous hand in a small tank of bitties first to strike i took home,and bit me two weeks later then never bit again,Dont we have them because there mysterious and scary?

It's obvious from peoples replys that we keep snakes for different reasons. So it's a personal thing in the end.

I think if you're going to have them around kids then you have to be a bit careful & a bit more choosy - obviously they can all bite, but as a parent you might choose a species that's known to be less aggressive.

I think if you're going to have them around kids then you have to be a bit careful & a bit more choosy - obviously they can all bite, but as a parent you might choose a species that's known to be less aggressive.

Not sure I entirely agree with you... Personal view of course so no one is wrong and no offence intended. But I think it's about how you go about housing and handling them. There's plenty of people who keep and breed death adders and raise children in the same house without a problem.
I'd be more concerned about giving a child a python to hold and that kid getting salmonella from not washing their hands afterwards.... than a bite from it... Supervision and good judgemet and education should prevent any risk a python may pose, bitey or not.
My brother doesn't let his 3 year old see my snakes in fear that he'll think it's okay to pick up a dugite that have been known to visit his yard. Fair enough too I say.

It's important to me.

Suprisingly, my scrubby was a GREAT handler! I never got bitten once!

But my baby Bredli on the other hand LOVES his bitey end! I didn't like him as much at first when I found out he was a biter (I think I was more dissapointed then anything), but the more he gets held, the better he is, so I'm assuming he will come around in the end. My love for him is growing :D

Colour and beauty is more important then temperament I think. If your going in for breeding then good strong colour, muscle tone, beauty etc is whats its all about but if you only want a pet then temperament is important as you dont want to loose a hand each time you want to handle your reptile hey.

But each to their own hey.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back