That's not food!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you not just pull the cord out without needing the gag reflex? I am not that sure on the anatomy of a snakes insides but can't see a reason why you couldn't just pull it out.
Snakes have nowhere near the same convolutions in their intestines as most other vertebrates. However, they do have a few twists and turns and the wall of the intestine is considerably thinner. So attempting to retrieve a length of semi-rigid object by pulling could damage the gut wall, which is usually a death sentence. So it was either do as she did or cut off what was hanging out and hope what was already inside went through unhindered. I think Drazzy did very well. But I won’t bring up her reaction to the semi-digested rat (if you get my drift).

Blue

Funny stories but in my opinion there are some good examples on this thread of why (with the possible exception of juveniles) paper towel should never be used as a substrate for yearlings, sub adult or adult snakes and why heat cord/tape should always be placed on the outside of an enclosure. BTW for reasons which Blue has mentioned, if you value your critter it's never a good idea to attempt to pull objects such as heat cord/tape out of a snakes mouth or encourage snakes to regurgitate anything.

George.

Funny stories but in my opinion there are some good examples on this thread of why (with the possible exception of juveniles) paper towel should never be used as a substrate for yearlings, sub adult or adult snakes

George.

Why?

Mine was on coir peat but recently back to paper towel after a trip to the vets.

Oh dear! I know you're joking but that's hilarious because he never poops in his enclosure and only when he's out so I always wipe his bum with paper towel so he doesn't trail it around.
Well there you go. That just supports the theory... Like any young one it is growing up and learning to be independent. It can now wipe its own bottom!

Blue

Snakes have nowhere near the same convolutions in their intestines as most other vertebrates. However, they do have a few twists and turns and the wall of the intestine is considerably thinner. So attempting to retrieve a length of semi-rigid object by pulling could damage the gut wall, which is usually a death sentence. So it was either do as she did or cut off what was hanging out and hope what was already inside went through unhindered. I think Drazzy did very well. But I won’t bring up her reaction to the semi-digested rat (if you get my drift).

Blue

Hi Blue,

I do not have an understanding of a snakes insides but do they have a gullet , stomach and intestines? If they do is the gullet convoluted or the stomach? Does the food need to stay in the stomach area for a number of time before passing through to the intestines? I was imagining the heat cord in the snake similar to when a sword swallower inserts then removes the sword.

Cheers
Andy

Was the heat cord still plugged in?
Seriously you wipe your snakes bum?

Feeling bewildered ......

Was the heat cord still plugged in?
Seriously you wipe your snakes bum?

Feeling bewildered ......

Lol sounds worse than it is.

He poops on the floor then trails it everywhere so I get him to slide over paper towel to wipe any remaining liquid so he can continue exploring without having a helicopter mum following him to clean the trail.

Like I said, he doesn't poop in his enclosure, only when he's out. Good thing I have lino floors - makes cleaning easy :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi Blue,

I do not have an understanding of a snakes insides but do they have a gullet , stomach and intestines? If they do is the gullet convoluted or the stomach? Does the food need to stay in the stomach area for a number of time before passing through to the intestines? I was imagining the heat cord in the snake similar to when a sword swallower inserts then removes the sword.

Cheers
Andy
G'day Andy,
Snakes have all the basic organs systems and parts that you would expect to find in a vertebrate. They do, however, lack most of the limb girdle bones (such as the collarbone), a sternum and a diaphragm – all to allow swallowing and passage of particularly large food items. Their internal organs tend to be rather elongated in shape and positioned a little differently to allow them all to fit. The following diagram off the net gives you a better idea than I can.
Snake-Anatomy-BugsInTheNews.jpg

The positioning of the stomach tends to be a third to half way along their length. The stomach itself is a simple, highly distensible, muscular bag. With snakes being carnivores, the role of the stomach is very much simplified compared to that of omnivores (and of course herbivores). I have never dissected a snake with a particularly large prey item inside in. However, when I see photos like those in the following, I believe that part of the prey item occupies the first section of the small intestine to allow it to all fit in... http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/black-headed-python-scoffing-goanna-159601/

Here's an X-ray that shws a prey item that has obviously progressed into the small intestine still fairly intact.
12840114387625345987568172042845259249731330604071.jpg

Hope that helps,
Blue

Thanks Blue very informative. I guess what we could assume especially if erring on the side of caution is that the heat cord being so long could possibly have worked its way through to the small intestine.

Cheers
Andy

Why?

Mine was on coir peat but recently back to paper towel after a trip to the vets.

Hi Lawra.

The absorbent, pliable nature of paper towel combined with the size of the sheeting allows it to easily be ingested by snakes who, for whatever reason, mistake it for a food item. It often occurs when people thaw the food item in water before feeding. This feeding method allows the towel to become an added attraction to a snake through intensifying the transfer of the scent of the food item onto the paper towel through absorption from moisture off the food item. I'm not suggesting that this is the way you thaw food just that it often happens when food is thawed in this manner, especially if it is left in the cage for a snake to consume at its leisure.

It should pass through ok and not hurt the snake in any manner but it saying that it might cause harm if ingested on a regular basis. Also it should be a consideration that the ingestion of any synthetic material (including paper towel) should be avoided when ever possible, simply because we are not aware of any chemical properties that may be used in the manufacturing process, some of which could be harmful to snakes.

Blue I like your jovial comment about the snake learning to wipe its own bottom...lol

I also like the manner in which you explained the internal make up of a snake.

George.

Hi Lawra.

The absorbent, pliable nature of paper towel combined with the size of the sheeting allows it to easily be ingested by snakes who, for whatever reason, mistake it for a food item. It often occurs when people thaw the food item in water before feeding. This feeding method allows the towel to become an added attraction to a snake through intensifying the transfer of the scent of the food item onto the paper towel through absorption from moisture off the food item. I'm not suggesting that this is the way you thaw food just that it often happens when food is thawed in this manner, especially if it is left in the cage for a snake to consume at its leisure.

It should pass through ok and not hurt the snake in any manner but it saying that it might cause harm if ingested on a regular basis. Also it should be a consideration that the ingestion of any synthetic material (including paper towel) should be avoided when ever possible, simply because we are not aware of any chemical properties that may be used in the manufacturing process, some of which could be harmful to snakes.

Blue I like your jovial comment about the snake learning to wipe its own bottom...lol

I also like the manner in which you explained the internal make up of a snake.

George.
I may be wrong again in this thread but I don't think that paper towel would contain any harmful chemicals because it is made for use in kitchens and used on food.

I may be wrong again in this thread but I don't think that paper towel would contain any harmful chemicals because it is made for use in kitchens and used on food.

I think the bigger issue is that they cannot digest cellulose so swallowing large amounts could be detrimental.

Thanks George. ‘Tis appreciated!

This is one of those “relative” arguments. A certain amount on a regular basis is not an issue. An excessive amount on a regular basis may well be an issue. Rather than find out how much and how often causes problems, the prudent alternative is to try and keep it to zero.

The digestive system of snakes, like most other vertebrates, actually requires roughage (= indigestible material) to function appropriately in the long term. Fur, skin and thick bones constitute their most consistent roughage. Cellulose fibre is frequently present in the gut of their rodent prey items and other herbivorous prey, and so constitutes a regular component of their roughage.

If you take four sheets of absorbent towelling, wet them thoroughly, and then compress and work at rolling them up into the smallest possible ball, you might be surprised at how the final volume is when you have squeezed all the air out of them. No need to take my word for it... try it yourself.

Blue

[MENTION=39076]GBWhite[/MENTION] yes that is the method I use to thaw food, however it was consumed straight away by my snake. He's a weirdo that turns his nose up at anything "fluffy" and not dripping wet.

Like I said, he's on paper towel for a reason... However I am interested to hear your thoughts on possible preventative measures in the future.

If I may interject? What might be worth trying is placing his food items in the middle of a sizeable flat piece of fairly rigid plastic, such as the laminated photos they sell as dinner place mats. Can’t hurt to try...

Blue

[MENTION=20726]Bluetongue1[/MENTION] ... I feed him on his 450x450 heat tile out of a plastic bowl.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a pain but how do you post new threads
Navigate to the forum you want to post in and you will find a button in the top left called "Post New Thread"

Please PM me if you need further help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back