The 2010 Australian Herpetological Symposium, Cairns, Oct 1, 2, & 3

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there are some great images coming in for the photo competition.

i think you are missing something on several levels.

1. herping around sydney in may is not that good!
2. the lineup of speakers are the best in the world, you cannot even get to see most of those guys speak in the US.
3. it must cost a fortune to bring them all downunder, but the cost of the ticket is worth it for the quality.
4. you will miss out on the best line-up of speakers ever put on in Australia, and all the knowledge they can pass on.

and wokka, it is being held in the centre of Aussie Herpland, see you there.

good work Scales and Tails

Nice to see you try give it a plug pal, but its still not worth it. Hope all who attend have fun, my money will be spent on something else.
Is there even anything on Dragons, Geckos or Monitors? Or mainly all GTP's?

Nice to see you try give it a plug pal, but its still not worth it. Hope all who attend have fun, my money will be spent on something else.

Netty, if you take a look at the speaker's web sites, it will become clear what their interests are and what they're likely to talk about. Understandably, not all aspects of husbandry / herpetology, equipment and business can be covered in two days. The theme is "how to convert from hobby to business" (or something to that effect), which may yield very valuable information to some whilst being of no interest at all to others. Whatever the outcome of this symposium, in a long run, it will benefit the whole reptile keeping industry, not only those attending and the event therefore deserves support and a plug (as you put it) from everybody. If you can't make it there, for whatever reason, give it thumbs up, don't knock it.

but its still not worth it. Hope all who attend have fun, my money will be spent on something else.

Craig Stewart owns one of the best gecko breeding facilites in the world, Bob Mailloux owns the legendary "Sandfire Dragon Ranch", Allen Repashy was the first person to breed Emerald Monitors, Allen and Philippe have authored some of the best books on geckos ever published! there are only two speakers on GTP's, both high quality I might add. There is a great mix for different fancies. Even for those who like elapids, the boys from Glades Herps coming.

FNQ is great for herping at this time of year, the speakers are top quality, plus it will be a great place to meet others who share the passion.

Nice to see you try give it a plug pal, but its still not worth it.

of course i'll give it a plug, but i can't understand why anyone criticises when they haven't even looked into it. of course there's a lot more going on than just gtp's! just look at the links page if you want to know more about the speakers.

any attendees who have a special interest in Bearded Dragons, please let us know so we can try and sit you at the Gala Dinner at Bob Mailloux's table. you will be able to pick his brains all night!

I would have loved to attend, but knew nothing about till recently

Hot tip, I dont know if it's true, but I have heard that Green Effect is now offerring a free flower with every GTP next season ** obviously this will be subject to the usual conditions!

Hot tip, I dont know if it's true, but I have heard that Green Effect is now offerring a free flower with every GTP next season ** obviously this will be subject to the usual conditions!

Absolutely! And a stubby of XXXX for the blokes. *Condition: *personal pick ups only.

Wow! Amazing prize for the photo comp. That is some serious camera gear. I was about to enter but then i saw this old chestnut:

11. By entering this competition, the entrant grants AHS an irrevocable and unrestricted right to use, reproduce and publish any of the entries, or part thereof, for any purpose at their discretion and in any manner and/or medium, to alter the photograps without restriction and to retain all copyright in the photographs including, but not limited to any future purposes as deemed suitable by AHS.

Best of luck with the symposium. It's not exactly my cup of tea but I thought that lineup would appeal to many of the herpetoculturalists in the hobby.

I agree H. It's a great prize but what is condition 11 about?:?. I also would have entered if it wasn't for that condition of entry. I bet this has turned quite a few photographers off entering. It seems that you lose all rights (including copyright!) and your name doesn't even get associated with your photographs any longer if you wish to benefit from the exposure you'd get from being selected or even winning.:shock: Please correct me if I'm wrong here and not reading the terms correctly.
Otherwise, it sounds like an excellent event that I have no criticism for. It's a great line-up of speakers and topics.
Likewise, I wish all the best to the event and hope that it goes well.

Last edited:
Please correct me if I'm wrong here and not reading the terms correctly.
Otherwise, it sounds like an excellent event that I have no criticism for. It's a great line-up of speakers and topics.
Likewise, I wish all the best to the event and hope that it goes well.

yes you have misunderstood the condition, below is an explanation sent by email to all who have inquired,

"2. there is no transfer of copyright, the conditions protect us from
infringing upon your rights. you will find that our conditions are
standard and protect us when we wish to use and re-use the images for
future promotion of competitions either on our web-sites or in our
sponsors magazines, and to use in an on-line gallery (all low-res images
in the gallery).
3. the conditions simply protect us from entrants stopping us from using
the images on our web-site and in our sponsors' magazines."

and yes, you are 100% correct, it is a great prize

there have, to date, been 62 entries, some from overseas - all of them are exceptional.

good luck to all entrants

Another way to look at it - the more exposure your images get, the more advertising for you and your photography. :D

Only if your name is attached to your images of course, which is what I was checking Waterrat.
Will this be the case?

Silverback, thanks for correcting me and for clarifying the condition in question. You might want to re-word that particular condition (#11) as it's obviously being misunderstood and putting people off. Actually, on second thoughts maybe don't, as now that I'm probably going to enter, the less competition there is the better my chances will be. ;)

Something like this is really easy to criticise but really hard to organise.
Congratulations to all involved, I hope it's the huge success it deserves to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back