The 2010 Australian Herpetological Symposium, Cairns, Oct 1, 2, & 3

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something like this is really easy to criticise but really hard to organise.
Congratulations to all involved, I hope it's the huge success it deserves to be.

Sure is a big project. With Scales & Tails on board as sponsors, the event in coming years will have a lot more advance exposure, so interested people will have access to more info, and far earlier, to allow them to plan accordingly.

Jamie

Something like this is really easy to criticise but really hard to organise...
Krefft, is that comment directed towards me? If so, do you think that my comments are not valid? I'm not the only person that misunderstood that particular set of conditions. H ('Nephrurus') and another highly intelligent, well-educated person that I showed it to were also put off from entering the competition after reading that clause.
I'm glad that H brought it up and my post was answered by Silverback, otherwise I wouldn't have entered. I dare say that others now reading this, that also had similar concerns about those particular conditions of entry, may well enter now.
Don't misinterpret my criticism of the wording of the conditions into the photo comp to extend to the event in general. I think that the symposium sounds great from what I've read so far and I'm considering going. I'm just looking at the schedule details (and fine print! lol)

Last edited:
I know Kreft well enough to assume that he didn't direct his comment to you. Your concerns were valid, not critical of the event.
There was someone else in this thread who wanted to spend his money elsewhere ..... so let him spend. I trust we are all on the same page now.

Thanks Michael. I'm being unnecessarily defensive it seems. I should stay off the forums after I've had a drink.

Another way to look at it - the more exposure your images get, the more advertising for you and your photography. :D

there are so many great photographers on the aussie sites, it would be a shame if people didn't take advantage of this opportunity to showcase their skills. i am sure there will be plenty of people from all around the world having a good look at this competition and symposium.

and nephrurus, if you are interested mainly in field herpetology as opposed to herpetoculture, I think you will find amongst Allen Repashy, Philippe de Vosjoli and Emmanuel van Heygen, you have got some of the best (if not the best) field herpers in the world. I really think talking with those guys would be your "cup of tea". I reckon there is something there for every one.

Less than 3 weeks to go, can't wait.

Benson,it would be a good idea to explain to the vewers who some of these people are.Ive heard of Phillipe but who is Allen and Emanuel also Craig Stewart is he from U K pythons ? There overseas guys and not everyone is familiar with them.
If they said Dave Makintosh from Pilbarra Pythons,Neil Sonneman,Brian Bush,Bob Whithey.Ken Griffiths etc were to give a lecture ide know who you were talking about.

Zulu, apart from Silverback's post here, which says briefly who those people are, each of the speakers has a web site which explains in detail who they are and what their business is. You will find links to those sites on the AHS site under "links".

I looked up the UK pythons website and the proprieter is Paul Harris not Craig Stewart LOL

Benson,it would be a good idea to explain to the vewers who some of these people are.Ive heard of Phillipe but who is Allen and Emanuel also Craig Stewart is he from U K pythons ? There overseas guys and not everyone is familiar with them.
If they said Dave Makintosh from Pilbarra Pythons,Neil Sonneman,Brian Bush,Bob Whithey.Ken Griffiths etc were to give a lecture ide know who you were talking about.

I know this isn't much help for this year, but for next year we'll be running bios on each of the guest speakers in plenty of time prior to the Symposium. For this year, we agree with Waterrat, and our advice is to click onto the links for the different speakers that you'll find on the official AHS site.
cheers
Joy

Best of luck to all involved ,sounds like a major effort is being put into this,dollars well may be exxy to some ,but reasonable to others... Just one question 'those' that are running it into the ground before it is even on , why?...sure you can have queries on costs involved and such ..and maybe not all fields of reptiles are covered ,but this to me, was aimed at a specific lot of herpers with this type of reptile hobby/further business makings ,and they will get alot out of it ...sounds great if it was up my alley would love to go, but as my dollar dont stretch that far and my collection is minimal ,alas, I wont be there ...sad I know.... but true ;)
and my final say,,,, I hate you all for owning GTP'S and all the other reps that are on my fantasy list ...GOODLUCK get pics (I want to make a dart board so get your heads in the shots)

Best of luck to all involved ,sounds like a major effort is being put into this,dollars well may be exxy to some ,but reasonable to others... Just one question 'those' that are running it into the ground before it is even on , why?...sure you can have queries on costs involved and such ..and maybe not all fields of reptiles are covered ,but this to me, was aimed at a specific lot of herpers with this type of reptile hobby/further business makings ,and they will get alot out of it ...sounds great if it was up my alley would love to go, but as my dollar dont stretch that far and my collection is minimal ,alas, I wont be there ...sad I know.... but true ;)
and my final say,,,, I hate you all for owning GTP'S and all the other reps that are on my fantasy list ...GOODLUCK get pics (I want to make a dart board so get your heads in the shots)

I'll look forward to catching up with you at our Festival in November instead.
cheers
Joy

Thanks for the heads up RBB. You're right in that not every aspect of herpetology can be covered in a single conference but apart from the keeping / breeding talks, there are going to be some interesting conceptual presentations concerning us Aussies. I had the privilege to read Greg Miles' paper on commercial utilisation of wildlife and conservation breeding - a very thought provoking approach to the future direction of herpetoculture. I am also looking forward to see what angle Peter Johnson takes on his topic "transition from hobby to business", considering that (in most states), we are not allowed to set up commercial venture involving protected wildlife.
And the gala dinner should be a great treat too. My next door neighbor is the Executive Chef at the Cassino complex, so I may whisper few words into his ear. LOL

Don't you guys know that if a book is not about Australian reptiles, then it's not worth reading? Is that not the general sentiment? All you need to do is google some of the names attending! You would be surprised just how much information these guys have shared over the years with their articles and publications. Allen Repashy pioneered the artificial gecko food industry, when everybody said it was impossible! Philippe wrote books on the successful keeping of many thought to be impossible to keep species. Bob Mailloux streamlined mass production of high quality bearded dragons along with some other species. The achievements off these guys are too many to name. Sometimes people just need to move out of their comfort zone to realise that Australia fills a very small niche in the international reptile scene.

There (sic) overseas guys and not everyone is familiar with them.

either go to our links page Australian Herpetological Symposium

or google the names, you'll be absolutely in awe of the experience these guys have.

in addition, checkout our sponsor's page Exo Terra - Make Your Reptiles Feel At Home

or if you want to be absolutely blown away by the experiences and expeditions of extreme field herping you have to check out Emmanuel van Heygen Flickr: Emmanuel Van Heygen's Photostream

by the way, we are approaching 100 entries in the photo competition, the quality is unbelievable

Netty, if you take a look at the speaker's web sites, it will become clear what their interests are and what they're likely to talk about. Understandably, not all aspects of husbandry / herpetology, equipment and business can be covered in two days. The theme is "how to convert from hobby to business" (or something to that effect), which may yield very valuable information to some whilst being of no interest at all to others. Whatever the outcome of this symposium, in a long run, it will benefit the whole reptile keeping industry, not only those attending and the event therefore deserves support and a plug (as you put it) from everybody. If you can't make it there, for whatever reason, give it thumbs up, don't knock it.

I am not knocking it, just saying i wont spend my money on it! I hope it goes well for all who attend. I also relaise the calibre of the speakers now after doing some reaserch. I have only really heard about this even in the last 3 weeks why was it not advertised more frequently on site and other places? I also think it will be good for the hobby but just thought it would have been better slotted in to the syd expo weekend.( This was just a thought)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back