Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if your unemployed take any job till something better comes up. your more employable if you have a job than not having one.

really?

I have a casual job, working 1 -2 days per week.
I have been looking for a full time job for the last 3 months, and have applied for over 110 (thats just on seek) and still havent managed to find anything. I am well dressed, show up on time or earlier, have various certificates in business and customer management and still havent been able to find something full time or even part-time, because there is just so many people that are out there looking for a job.. last interview I went to, they said that they had over 500 applicants in 4 days and had to take down the ad on seek because it was way too many for them to handle.

Thats the biggest cop out. my old lady worked two jobs to keep me and my sister with a roof over our head dinner on the table and clothes on our body.
Yes but not everyone can walk straight out of a marriage where they were a homemaker into a job so what do they do in the meantime.

how does posting a topic like this make me a troll? i think its a good thread where people have expressed quite openly there thoughts and feelings about it. whats wrong with it?
You are a troll because you initially said you didn't want to turn this into a fight but you knew that is exactly what would happen.

some people need to be stereotyped. why should some one who earns $100,000 a year not be entitled to the bonus over some one on the dole.
Because they don't need it and to decide to bring a child into the world for a government handout is wrong whether you are rich or poor.

Ever had an apprentice ship? Mate i earnt $220 a week paid rent food water bills everything same as alot of other apprentices plus i actually had to work. didnt get that money for nothing. would of been much easier to get on the dole. this is why i / people get annoyed with people on the dole
No it is not much easier to get the dole, in fact if you are under 24 you have to study now in order to get Youth Allowance

i wasn"t talking about people with disabilitys at all but i do struggle to believe you have been job hunting for six years and in that time youve had 1 job.
maybe you should be less picky about what you want to do.
You don't know her circumstances so you have no right to sit up in your ivory tower and judge

get a new appartment / house. there is nothing wrong with people wanting to make their own lifes better.
What did you not get about rent prices flying through the roof, I can afford the house I am in and I am not going to risk not getting another one when I don't need to.
also "As for poor people crying poor, in my experience it is more often people who are not poor whinging about how hard done to they are. I don't have a problem with being poor and happy than rich, greedy and bitter about having to work every waking moment to pay for my extravagant lifestyle "
that is the bloody problem. why not want to be more than poor?
why can you not be wealthy and happy?
seems like an excuse that a lot of people use so they dont even have to try?
Why do I have to want to be anything other than happy, you don't know anything about me, so don't try and pass your narrow-minded judgement onto me, I have had some very high paid jobs in the past but frankly, I was not willing to sacrifice quality time with my children to maintain them, I am now pursuing what I want to do at university as my children are grown up and I have time to do it and yes I am happy being poor, it makes me appreciate every single thing I strive for and achieve just that little bit more. I am educated and intelligent and could probably be right up there if I wanted to be, but at the end of the day, I am not that ruthless or driven because it is my friends and family that make me happy, not money. I think the world would be a much better place if money didn't exist but that is a whole different subject. I don't think wealth makes people happy unless happiness is measured in material gain which is not real happiness.

its funny i actually had to work over the weekend and wasnt able to get on a computer, sorry about that.
why should this thread be closed?
if topics like this dont get debated and talked about whats going to change.
and there is a definate need for change.
yes or no?
This thread should be closed because it is causing petty squabbles and ill will between people who use this forum to come together for a common love of reptiles, not to air their personal finances and circumstances with the world.

well maybe its time to get a job?
if you spent half as much time on careerone trying to find a job as you seem to spend on this website i can imagen you finding a job fairly quickly.
That is just rude. You have no right to talk to anyone like that, you ave a huge chip obviously maybe you should go get help with that before trying to cause dissent about welfare on a reptile forum.

not sure if it has been mentioned but i get drug and alcohol tested often at work, i think they should introduce random testing so people that are taking advantage of the system and blowing it on booze and drugs get caught out and dont get their payment. It wouldnt surprise me if people use the money to support their addictions

not sure if it has been mentioned but i get drug and alcohol tested often at work, i think they should introduce random testing so people that are taking advantage of the system and blowing it on booze and drugs get caught out and dont get their payment. It wouldnt surprise me if people use the money to support their addictions
As stated before, people who can prove they have an addiction, which isn't that hard, get disability support. Also, what if the testing happens to occur after some kind of event like a wedding, or maybe they have just gone out after 6 months of doing nothing, or spend $5 of there money on a beer once a fortnight, what because you are in hard times you are not allowed to have any kind of life. An example, and I am on Austudy not the dole, but I don't drink for health reasons but last night I went to a gig I saved up to go to and had 2 vodkas, first time in 2 years. Should my payment be cut for this.

Last edited:
If you test positive and have a responsibility to attend job seeking appointments yes.
in the workforce you have the responsibility to enter the workplace fit for work regardless opf if you went to a wedding or whatever.

im not saying at all that people cant have a life. i think every person deserves the right to have a drink as often as they want, wedding or no wedding. i know of people who abuse the system, get their payment, sit at home and smoke drugs all day. I dont think thats fair by any means compared to people that get the same amount of money who are out day and night trying to find jobs but can not. Most people do do the right thing by the system, but its the minority that give the "dole" a bad name.

im not saying at all that people cant have a life. i think every person deserves the right to have a drink as often as they want, wedding or no wedding. i know of people who abuse the system, get their payment, sit at home and smoke drugs all day. I dont think thats fair by any means compared to people that get the same amount of money who are out day and night trying to find jobs but can not. Most people do do the right thing by the system, but its the minority that give the "dole" a bad name.
That's true, but I met a woman in town the other day who just randomly started telling me how the dole was hassling her too much so she went and said she had a problem with pot and they said if she agreed to see a social worker once a month and got a letter and urine sample test from her doctor she could go on disability payment, almost twice as much as the dole, she then proceeded to ask me if I had any pot for sale. My son had a bit of a pot problem for a while, partially because we were living on the north coast of NSW where it is everywhere, but more so because he couldn't get work. Once he moved to the Illawarra and got a job, all that changed. So it can be a cycle that leads to self esteem problems and substance abuse, not always the other way around.

LOL Thats another big can of worms
and suggests a level of naivety when it comes to marijuana use.

im on a single parent pension
2 kids and work 22 hours a week
i get about $500 pw form work net
and centerlink give me about $300 pw that includes ftb a and b
i live in a nice big 4 bedroom public housing house 3min from a beach
i get a pension card and 2 free train trips anywere in the state each year i get free rego $5.50 medications plus heaps of other discounts and free bees
and i love it . i worked hard for 25 years now i dont
i think people should be more up in arms about the money thats wasted each year by both state and fed gov like the restocking of the parlentry wine celar , the 100s of millions wasted on planning a road or tunnel that never gets built the free limo rides to work those mungrels get the list goes on
bottom line is the dole helps everyone rich or poor
at sometime in there life

My dad is on the dole and I feel sorry for him.
He wants to work so bad, but because of his injuries and disability, he physically can't manage it.
He has torn disks in his spine and suffers from frequent seizures and although he gets paid on the dole, it isn't much, because my mum works and apparently 'earns too much'. I say that in quotations cos shes only parttime.
I feel sorry for him because he is such an outgoing and lively person, and he is now so depressed that he can't wake up and go to work.
He has to sit at home and I'm sure he breaks things just so he has something to fix lol.
Sometimes he gets a bit of cash work helping his mates out just building and basic stuff like that, but if he works himself too hard hes back in bed for the next week.
On the other hand, there is definitely people being dole bludgers, who do waste their money and make excuses and they don't deserve it. That money could be helping the ederly or doing something else thats important.

im on a single parent pension
2 kids and work 22 hours a week
i get about $500 pw form work net
and centerlink give me about $300 pw that includes ftb a and b
i live in a nice big 4 bedroom public housing house 3min from a beach
i get a pension card and 2 free train trips anywere in the state each year i get free rego $5.50 medications plus heaps of other discounts and free bees
and i love it . i worked hard for 25 years now i dont
i think people should be more up in arms about the money thats wasted each year by both state and fed gov like the restocking of the parlentry wine celar , the 100s of millions wasted on planning a road or tunnel that never gets built the free limo rides to work those mungrels get the list goes on
bottom line is the dole helps everyone rich or poor
at sometime in there life
this is a troll reply its NOT possible to earn 500 a week and still get any benefits i l just looked into it.
this thread should be closed its getting out of control

Last edited:
this is a troll reply its NOT possible to earn 500 a week and still get any benefits i l just looked into it.

dont call me a troll you must of been looking in the wrong place
you can earn more and still get benifits
have you ever heard of ftb a and b ???
Centrelink - assists people to become self-sufficient and supports those in need
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/ftb_a_rates.htm
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/parenting_rates.htm
after $140 i think its 40cents in the dollar they take of you

so have to say sorry but your wrong and out of con-troll

Last edited:
Yes, angelic in front of their parents and other adults maybe. The majority of them want for nothing and don't mind rubbing that in the faces of less well off kids. Plus, do you think if kids grow up seeing they're parents struggling to put food on the table from one week to the next they are going to grow up and want that for they're own families. Maybe in some cases like breeds like but it very often has the opposite effect.

You know the majority of middle class children in Australia? popular lady!

I know that generalizing against kids who come from poor families is not the way to go. But do you see that you've swung it around and generalized about middle class kids? I come from a very two sided family, my English/Greek side are all well-off lawyers and work very hard and their children are made to have jobs and pay a small portion of the bills from the age of 15 and so that if they want something, they can have it and understand the value of money. My Aboriginal/french side of the family (most are steriotypically low income earners or unemployed) are made to work from the age of 15 to pay a small amount of rent and buy things that they want. I see absolutely no difference (and I have a very big family on both sides). What is true on both sides is that if the parents attitude is "people owe me something" then the kids attitude will be exactly the same. I have three obnoxious little cousins on one side and two on the other and I can definitely link it to the fact that their parents are obnoxious themselves. Long story short, where the money comes from and/or how much you get (within reason) makes little difference to how your kids turn out. The parents attitude and attentiveness to their kids far more of an influencing factor. I would hate if you were the deciding member on my jury...

I myself was on the dole for about 4 weeks at the beginning of this year after coming back to Melbourne looking for a job and waiting for my div1 nursing registration to come (still waiting but I have a job as a human boxing bag for the DHS.) I have no shame in that I was on the dole, nor should I. I have worked since I was 14 and a half and payed my taxes. I have studied for years so I would be qualified for a low paying job that has the sole purpose of helping people. I had 2 days notice that I was going to be out of work and got no severance package. If the dole didn't exist I could very well be homeless right now. I applied for jobs like crazy but was "over qualified" for many of what I consider the "undesirable jobs". the issue is not people think these jobs are below them. it is that some of the people on the dole have extensive experience or qualifications that doesn't fit into the need of the employer. If they want a monotonous laborer, they're not going to hire an ex-diesel mechanic or uni grad who hasn't yet found a job. They want to hire the bloke who's either worked as a monotonous laborer before or just dropped out of tafe because its safe to say that you aren't going to lose that person to a higher paid job in a month or so time and have to recruit, induct and train another employee.

You know the majority of middle class children in Australia? popular lady!

I know that generalizing against kids who come from poor families is not the way to go. But do you see that you've swung it around and generalized about middle class kids? I come from a very two sided family, my English/Greek side are all well-off lawyers and work very hard and their children are made to have jobs and pay a small portion of the bills from the age of 15 and so that if they want something, they can have it and understand the value of money. My Aboriginal/french side of the family (most are steriotypically low income earners or unemployed) are made to work from the age of 15 to pay a small amount of rent and buy things that they want. I see absolutely no difference (and I have a very big family on both sides). What is true on both sides is that if the parents attitude is "people owe me something" then the kids attitude will be exactly the same. I have three obnoxious little cousins on one side and two on the other and I can definitely link it to the fact that their parents are obnoxious themselves. Long story short, where the money comes from and/or how much you get (within reason) makes little difference to how your kids turn out. The parents attitude and attentiveness to their kids far more of an influencing factor. I would hate if you were the deciding member on my jury...

I myself was on the dole for about 4 weeks at the beginning of this year after coming back to Melbourne looking for a job and waiting for my div1 nursing registration to come (still waiting but I have a job as a human boxing bag for the DHS.) I have no shame in that I was on the dole, nor should I. I have worked since I was 14 and a half and payed my taxes. I have studied for years so I would be qualified for a low paying job that has the sole purpose of helping people. I had 2 days notice that I was going to be out of work and got no severance package. If the dole didn't exist I could very well be homeless right now. I applied for jobs like crazy but was "over qualified" for many of what I consider the "undesirable jobs". the issue is not people think these jobs are below them. it is that some of the people on the dole have extensive experience or qualifications that doesn't fit into the need of the employer. If they want a monotonous laborer, they're not going to hire an ex-diesel mechanic or uni grad who hasn't yet found a job. They want to hire the bloke who's either worked as a monotonous laborer before or just dropped out of tafe because its safe to say that you aren't going to lose that person to a higher paid job in a month or so time and have to recruit, induct and train another employee.
Your right, I did flip the stereotype and I shouldn't have, I have just seen first hand how wealthy kids can often treat poorer kids. My son copped a very hard time at one school in a rather wealthy area of the Illawara, things like people befriending him and asking him to birthday parties just to tell him to leave after they got their present. Telling their parents he lived in a garbage dump and teasing him about it. He had no friends and was thoroughly miserable so I guess I did judge a bit to harshly by that experience. He is in high school now and has friends from all socioeconomic backgrounds so I know they are not all like that, but the ones that come off as being angelic are quite often the nastiest when adults are not around.

Great post syeph8. Some very sound points.

I don't think you should feel any shame for going on the dole temporarily. That, in my opinion, is exactly what the dole is for.

Nursing is an honorable profession - grossly underpaid in my opinion (yes my wife is a nurse).

Your right, I did flip the stereotype and I shouldn't have, I have just seen first hand how wealthy kids can often treat poorer kids. My son copped a very hard time at one school in a rather wealthy area of the Illawara, things like people befriending him and asking him to birthday parties just to tell him to leave after they got their present. Telling their parents he lived in a garbage dump and teasing him about it. He had no friends and was thoroughly miserable so I guess I did judge a bit to harshly by that experience. He is in high school now and has friends from all socioeconomic backgrounds so I know they are not all like that, but the ones that come off as being angelic are quite often the nastiest when adults are not around.

As unfortunate a circumstance that must have been for you and your child. Kids will be kids. I think you'll find the poorer kids will pick on the richer kids just for something to do as well as the other way around. in my personal experience and observation, a child with money behaves no different to a child without but a child with boundaries and good role models, however, acts very differently to one without.

Thanks spilota. I'd happily concede not getting a pay-rise if we were provided with some form of Kevlar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back