The guns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been meaning to get my gun licence and a rifle for ages now, but have never got round to doing the safety course, and finding a reason for the licence etc.

Might just wait til I graduate.. you can use 'veterinary surgeon' as your reason for owning a gun!

need some pig dogs now aye?

I was keen to take my dog but after seeing all the crocs around the areas we hunt i have decided there is no way i'm putting my boy at that kind of risk. I recon he would do fine on a pig but i think he would come a long way second to a croc.

Jimmy

Jimmy is pretty much spot on with the choices he gave you.

For a first gun and one that will last for years, is very accurate, won't cost you an arm and a leg and has next to no recoil I would go for the (and I'm biased) the Savage .17HMR with thumbhole stock in laminate, go the heavy varmint barrel like the one I have.

The gun will cost anywhere between $650 and $750 in OZ. A cheap but decent scope will cost up to $200 (you can always upgrade the scope later). Gun bag $20, ammo from memory is around $25.00. Gun cleaning kit.

Very accurate rfile straight out of the box and like I mentioned will last for years if treated well.

bit

thanks guys, appreciate it. whats the deal with buying arms? do you just have to find dealers nearby or what. pardon my ignorance. thanks in advance.

Been meaning to get my gun licence and a rifle for ages now, but have never got round to doing the safety course, and finding a reason for the licence etc.

Might just wait til I graduate.. you can use 'veterinary surgeon' as your reason for owning a gun!

You might as well start the proccess soon it will take quite a few months and you will need to join a shooting club and/or get a letter of shooting permission from a suitable landholder to be able to use the guns for recreational purposes, the vet thing wont make much differance.

thanks guys, appreciate it. whats the deal with buying arms? do you just have to find dealers nearby or what. pardon my ignorance. thanks in advance.

You need a licence, then get a permit to aquire for the gun you are buying. It is possible to buy from other states or countries although its more of a hassle.

You might as well start the proccess soon it will take quite a few months and you will need to join a shooting club and/or get a letter of shooting permission from a suitable landholder to be able to use the guns for recreational purposes, the vet thing wont make much differance.
The vet thing can be in place of having a gun club membership, or landholder signature for recreational shooting. It counts as a reason for owning a gun.. you can then hunt with that gun or shoot targets.. That's as far as I can tell from the reading I did anyway.

The vet thing can be in place of having a gun club membership, or landholder signature for recreational shooting. It counts as a reason for owning a gun.. you can then hunt with that gun or shoot targets.. That's as far as I can tell from the reading I did anyway.

There are conditions attached to each reason for owning a gun i cant remember it exactly but if the only reason you provide is for vetinary reasons its likely that your licence will only allow use for vet type stuff, such as putting down animals. All you need to do is join the sporting shooters association to be able to have a gun for recreational use.

Vic

In Vic you have to get the firearms handbook (I think that's what it's called these day) from the District Firearms Officer. You then book in for the test.

When I did it there was 9 common law question (which you must get 100%) and 20 common sense questions.

You then decide what firearm you want and go looking at prices. Then a PTA (permit to acquire) needs to be appplied for. You then get this mailed to you and payment must be made at the local bank for it. Once the bank stamp is on you have 28 days to use the permit,

Go to gun shop and walk out with your new firearm.

If you wish to buy from Interstate or from a private collection you will still need to go to a gun shop for the transfer to take place and be recorded.

Just bought a Sporterised Gustav 6.5x55, next on the list is a TOZ .22 and when the money allows a Tikka T3 in either .243 or 22-250

Sounds awesome mate got any pictures?

What do you hunt?

Nah, no pictures yet, I usually forget to take the camera out with me. Hunt all things feral and knock the occasional roo for dog meat.

Getting a licence in Canberra, like other states is a waiting game.

first you sit your safety course to get your certificate which is handed in with your licence application.

With your application you also need a genuine reason to shoot, i.e club membership (plus club official signing a section in your licence application) or property owners consent section signed (used both ). Once all the forms are filled in and all the other little bits and pieces are sorted out you trot off to the ACT Gov shopfront and give them $75. They give you a recipt and then you make your way to the ACT Firearm Registory and lodge everything. If all the forms are filled out correctly and there aren't any marks against your name your licence will be ready to pick up 28 days later,

Once you get your licence you head out to a dealer, pick your gun and pay for it. They give you the details, Make, calibre, serial number etc and you head back up to the Firearm registory and fill in a Permit to acquire. You then go back to the Gov Shopfront and pay another $20 and take your recipt back to the Firearm registory and lodge these forms. Once again, providing everything is signed and filled in you wait another 28 days to pick up your permit. Once you pick up the premit you go and pick up your rifle and repeat the process to register the gun.

It all takes months and lots and lots of running around.

My dad has a gun :D
i like it too, he's shown me how to fire it, even though u can't really lol. Even if u loaded anything into the barrel and tried to fire it, its so old it would just blow up :D its was my great great great grandfathers rifle. Mind u it scares the crap out of people we u bring it out :)

Show us a few pics Gordo. You live in the hog capital of Australia. Where are the pics :D

A little boar from the weekend. Didn't stand much of a chance with the 45-70 from 15 meters

SmallBoar.jpg

would love to get a gun, I hunt rabbits, not with gun, use a compound bow, have them in the backyard so just have to go outside with the bow to shoot them. does everybody that hunts eat there stuff or do they just hunt to control pests and for fun. I hunt mainly to control the rabbits, we have them everywhere digging up the garden, do not eat them as of yet, also what are the laws on shooting native species like kangaroos and ducks and stuff.

You need to have a permit to cull kangaroo's Ryan. Ducks I dunno..Aren't they just for sighting your scope in? LOL

I mainly go fox/rabbit shooting and the occasional deer if I'm lucky. Using my .204

I do love to eat deer and occasionally rabbits. If culling roo's generally dog meat but I keep some nice cuts for steaks and snags mmm.. Foxes on the other hand are stinky little buggers! Only good for pelts & throw the rest far far FAR away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back