Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He said the dead one had no egg tooth which was the question you asked me if I had seen a hatchling with no egg tooth,hence the reason the top one died so I'm guessing Pythonsrule pipped the other one thinking it may also have had no egg tooth.

You mentioned you always pip yet on the other hand you said you lost a whole clutch which wouldn't have happened if you did pip.For a whole clutch of healthy eggs not to hatch means something went wrong somewhere,maybe all had no egg tooth a friend of mine lost 3 nicely striped jungles due to no egg tooth and I had the same last season,however for every egg failing to hatch is very strange if they were fertile healthy eggs and suggests they may not have meant to hatch due to some abnormality or as the yanks say an anomoly"sp?"

Underdeveloped at 51 days and 31.5 celcius? I knew I should have never posted photos. Opinions, opinions, opinions.

Actually at that temp the normal hatch time would be around 58 days so yes they are under developed,the pics you posted clearly show that also.

I still don't understand this lack of egg tooth business.Something to think about,maybe the eggs themselves are too tough for the hatchling to to pip by themselves and the egg tooth wears away or falls off prior to actually pipping?

Anyways as far as manually pipping eggs go I never do not for any species.I used to although I would wait until well over half the clutch had pipped all by themselves before interfering.

The hatchlings are all upside down.... in the pipped egg photo....this is a sure sign, they're not ready to come out.
They'll "upright" themselves.... when it's time.
I have pipped a few eggs at 40 days....just to watch a developing snake. It sure is cool to watch....and, has no ill effect on the hatchlings.

D.

Thanks for all the input. I shall ask the moderators to remove some of the rubbish assumption out of this thread. Thanks Derek, it's amazing to see how people can carry on about somebody elses achievements. That's interesting Ramsai? It's been a funny season this year. Females laying early, heat waves in November and underdeveloped hatchlings! Amazing.

Personally I am not a huge fan of pipping eggs, reptiles that fail to hatch can usually be put down to having calcium / develpmental problems, possibly from heating issues somewhere throughout the breeding process or carried forward from a female with calcium issues. These problems should be addressed so that young snakes hatch normally and weaker ones die. Raising weak snakes doesn't help anyone other than the person selling them.

Browns:You mentioned you always pip yet on the other hand you said you lost a whole clutch which wouldn't have happened if you did pip. Please show me exactly where i said i lost a clutch?
Browns: So now it seems you are agreeing by saying we'll hopefully see the progression of colour in a few days meaning they are not ready to hatch yet so why pip? Because on my books 51 days is hatching time, its not just me that thinks that but literature also suggests that. And You the forum viewer will see the development. I have witnessed this before. I dont base my opinion on pictures.
Ramsayi: Actually at that temp the normal hatch time would be around 58 days so yes they are under developed,the pics you posted clearly show that also. They sometimes do sit around in their egg shell for a few days.
JasonL: Raising weak snakes doesn't help anyone other than the person selling them. You should go an tell that to all those keepers out there that assist feed and force feed their hatchlings after a month. I agree that weak hatchlings should not be allowed to live. I have never assisted in snakes feeding, even if it takes a year. I have also never lost a hatchling to starvation. They all seem to figure out that the food is their friend.

JasonL: Raising weak snakes doesn't help anyone other than the person selling them. You should go an tell that to all those keepers out there that assist feed and force feed their hatchlings after a month. I agree that weak hatchlings should not be allowed to live. I have never assisted in snakes feeding, even if it takes a year. I have also never lost a hatchling to starvation. They all seem to figure out that the food is their friend.[/QUOTE]

It is just my opinion that to make ourselves better keepers that we should figure out why they are not hatching and try to rectify the problem and not take shortcuts to gain success. Hatchling snakes don't eat for various reasons, yes sometimes it is because they are weak, but usually it's because they want to eat skinks... A poor eater is a hatchling that is heated perfectly and won't take a skink.... and that isn't overly common from a snake that hatched out on it's own.

JasonL : Poor eater is a hatchling that is heated perfectly and won't take a skink.... and that isn't overly common from a snake that hatched out on it's own. Unfortunately this is not allowed, so best we get them onto our preferred food source. Another choice that we as keepers make for our snakes. ProChoice!

WELL ...as a fence sitter ,due to not knowing alot about this matter ...I will be watching this thread over the period of time ..keep the pics happening CARPETPYTHON ..and as for any other views bring em on ...always an interesting debate ...best of luck with your babies too ;)

WELL ...as a fence sitter ,due to not knowing alot about this matter ...I will be watching this thread over the period of time ..keep the pics happening CARPETPYTHON ..and as for any other views bring em on ...always an interesting debate ...best of luck with your babies too ;)

Me too... I wish to learn, and learn I shall!

JasonL : Poor eater is a hatchling that is heated perfectly and won't take a skink.... and that isn't overly common from a snake that hatched out on it's own. Unfortunately this is not allowed, so best we get them onto our preferred food source. Another choice that we as keepers make for our snakes. ProChoice!

Yes I agree.... and I don't have a major issue with opening or slitting eggs as at times I have done it myself for various reasons, but I would rather experienced keepers refrain from making it standard practice and to work out why they are having snakes die in eggs and aim to perfect their keeping instead of using a quick fix...at the end of the day you may loose more snakes, but in the end you will come out a better keeper with a better understanding on heating / incubation needs of reptiles.

I have never said my techniques are perfect. I am still learning. I had a look this morning and their heads are are all in the right position. The point of this thread was to show you guys something you might not have seen before. Even some of the more experienced keepers might not have witnessed this before. Especially with some albinos. But there are always those who can not help themselves and critisise everything to make themselves feel more important. I hope some can find use in observing the development of these hatchies. I will post updated pics this arvo. My son was a lot to handle this morning.

Underdeveloped at 51 days and 31.5 celcius? I knew I should have never posted photos. Opinions, opinions, opinions.

i pipped a clutch of womas last season at day 60, incubator was between 31.5 and 32, only a small V on the top as most people do, long story short only one had coloured partially the rest had not yet coloured up at all.... even with 100% humidity etc they all died.
i only pipped because several people had told me its safest.... ironically a few that said to i have heard recomend against it now.
best of luck. loock foward to watching there heads imerge.

for those that think pipping in this manner is 'extreme' check out this link and look at some of his previous hatching videos. he cuts larger then this and basicaly removes them from the eggs.
YouTube - prehistoricpetstv's Channel

That is so correct JasonL,Personally i wouldnt pipped the eggs until atleast a couple have stuck their heads out,but each to there own...Have you done this same procedure before,if so what species of snake were they...I hope all ends well...Best of luck..cant wait to see those little ones.....Just remember Jason,what works for some doesnt mean it will work for others....MARK

But there are always those who can not help themselves and critisise everything to make themselves feel more important. I hope some can find use in observing the development of these hatchies.

Just to clear the air, my original question were innocent. It was simply honest curiosity as to the reasonings behind failed curiosity. I just thought that a breeder of your size, might have had some insight into why failed hatchings may have occured. I queried the egg tooth developement as this would be an obvious cause of failed hatching but could most certainly be a genetic trait as well. However, i also asked for your opinion on potential reasons as you had mention failed hatchings before, therefore, i figured you might have insight as to why due to the volume of snakes you produce.

Could you answer this one question for me though.....Did the snakes you that you stated you lost in years gone by, to failed hatching, have egg teeth?? If so, then do you have any thoughts as to why they may not have hatched?? This was the sole reasoning for the questions, as pipping this early would mask the development of an egg tooth but not other developemental problems that may cause death in the egg or failed hatchy (if failing to emerge from the egg is not reason for death).

Last edited:
This thread is very interesting. Everyone has their own methods.
Who is to say whether the hatchies would survive if they were pipped or not???
Maybe not. But at least the keeper felt they were giving the hatchie a better chance of survival.
Something may have happended previously to make them be much more cautious.
I personally won't pip eggs until at least one is showing his head. I remember on one occasion we pipped an egg and the little diamond's head came flying out as if it was gasping for air!

We are not nearly as big as some seem to think. We just out a lot of effort into our website and made it user friendly. There are keepers on here that have massive collections. To answet the question Josh. The 3 or 4 hatchlings I lost slit their eggs and their heads were out. They pulled their heads back into their eggs and after this they never came out again. I believe that they start breathing air. They somehow manage to pull their heads into the albumin and try to breath in there and drown. I will usually cut a triangle flap into the egg. I prep through this window to see how far along the hatchlings are. If there is a lot of yolk in there I close the lid again. After day 51 I cut the window out and give the egg a slight squeeze to get rid of some of the albumin. This reduces the chance of the hatchlings to pull their heads into the albumin. I do this with all my clutches. This is my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back