Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondie84

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been thinking about getting a python for quite sometime now but have decided to actually take steps towards making this happen. It is all a little overwhelming to begin with, just looking for some ideas/advice on how to get started.

Thanks all,

Amie

what state are you in? go to the relevant government website and get a wildlife licence application and send it off (DSE in vic, DECC in NSW..thats the ones i know.) then decide what type of python you want. if you want soemthin smaller and placid, an antaresia would be good (spotteds, childrens and stimsons pythons), for somethin larger maybe a bredli or Murray Darling python. once you have decided what python we can give you more specific info on what you need.

Hey blondie, the first step is to work out what species you want to keep.Things that may influence this is size it will grow to, price to buy and maintain, your experience with snakes.
Then work on how to house it. Enclosure size and shape, heating etc.
Now is a good time to start to think about your first snake as it is hatching time of the year and soon there will be an abundance of all varieties and flavours all freshly hatched and looking for new homes!

find out what state licence you need, get the licence. find out what snake you want, latch on to an APS member thats EXPERIENCED with the species to learn everything you need to know to get started, get t set up, get the appropriate funds aside for emergency vet bills and get the snake from e reputable *aka reccommended* breeder :) and KEEP RECORDS (poop, shed, feed, temps, weight, etc) :)

Thanks guys. Theres just so much to consider... everytime i think of something else i remember why I haven't gotten past the 'thinking about' stage.

Welcome!

If you want a python, go for it! They are very basic to care for.
It will depend on the state you live in regards to licensing, each have a slightly different set of rules.

Thanks guys. I'm in NSW and it seems pretty straight forward in that regard. I have been Googling as well as reading up on here and I think a carpet python may be the way to go for me.

hav a bit of a browse through this website at peoples pictures and stories, you may find something you really like. if ur after a python that may be quite well behaved i would go with a diamond, md or a carpet.
u will hav to think about a enclosure, most young snakes can be kept in a properly set up tub until they are large enough to move into there forever enclsoures.
and have a think about mice/rats. check out local breeders, or even get a pair of rats yourself and save ur self some money by not having to buy the food.
lots to think about, but u will find it extremely rewarding.
all the best.
mel

Thanks guys. I'm in NSW and it seems pretty straight forward in that regard. I have been Googling as well as reading up on here and I think a carpet python may be the way to go for me.

Hey if your looking at a carpet python and its your first then look more towards the Murray/Darling carpet as they are the most placid and the best to start out with... We got a MD first and he is my favourite... We have now just purchased a darwin python and they are extremely nippy everytime he's picked up... so def consider the MD!!!!

I was the same as you, wanted to get a snake but had no idea. Just look around, find a snake you like mainly the colour or look of the snake. Don't worry too much about temperment, as all types of snakes could have a grumpy one or a happy one within the same species (there are some that stay more one way than the other though), even holding the snake before purchase wont guarantee it wont get happier or grumpier as it gets older, but it is a good start. I decided on a bredli becuase I loved their look. Was a bit worried with the size, as they grow a bit bigger than your average python, but I figured by the time she gets that big I would be a lot more confident, and I was right. I now can't wait till she gets bigger!!

Basically choosing the python is the first and main decision. Then match license required to python, then choosing age of python you want to start with. Everything else will follow these decisions; enclosure size food size etc.

Carpets are adorable! i've got 3 coastal carpets one is a pussycat, one is so placid and doopey but has never even attempted to strike or bite anything other than yummy rats, and the last thinks he is macho and is a litcage defensive but once out is another pussy cat lol. definatly an awesome snake if your still considering them.

I guess I'm a little strange in that I don't really mind if I get a grumpy, bitey one.... I figure I'm going to have a snake, snakes bite... If I wanted a cuddly, fluffy happy pet I could get s puppy or a rabbit or something.

The ones I REALLY like the look of are the jungle and the diamonds but they are a little pricey for a first snake i think and the licencing is a little vague on those ones. The carpets are a definite.

I am thinking I would like to get one as young as possible, just so I can see the whole growing up process, but this is a whole new world for me so I really don't know much about the whole age thing.

As for the rats/mice... that is an awesome idea, saving money on food but I don't think I would be able to feed my snake something I have seen be born lol. See... strange.

i would hurry up and apply for a nsw licence from the decc because they take like 2 months to send back ur licence... from my experience anyways. then get a carpet, i got a bredli and shes placid and very pretty. make sure you get a hatchy that is feeding and shedding well.

I guess I'm a little strange in that I don't really mind if I get a grumpy, bitey one.... I figure I'm going to have a snake, snakes bite... If I wanted a cuddly, fluffy happy pet I could get s puppy or a rabbit or something.

The ones I REALLY like the look of are the jungle and the diamonds but they are a little pricey for a first snake i think and the licencing is a little vague on those ones. The carpets are a definite.

I am thinking I would like to get one as young as possible, just so I can see the whole growing up process, but this is a whole new world for me so I really don't know much about the whole age thing.

As for the rats/mice... that is an awesome idea, saving money on food but I don't think I would be able to feed my snake something I have seen be born lol. See... strange.

I needn't mean you wanted a fluffy friendly animal. Just thought a new person to snakes might want something they can handle to build confidence and not worry so early about being bitten. I know all too well they bite, even my gentle boy bit when he was a baby, but has grown out of it now. But my first girl was awesome, never bit or even looked like biting anyone, and I know it made it a lot easy for me to learn how to hold her, and learn how to read her behaviour better. It made me a lot more confident with snakes, and helped me to decided to buy another one!

I needn't mean you wanted a fluffy friendly animal. Just thought a new person to snakes might want something they can handle to build confidence and not worry so early about being bitten. I know all too well they bite, even my gentle boy bit when he was a baby, but has grown out of it now. But my first girl was awesome, never bit or even looked like biting anyone, and I know it made it a lot easy for me to learn how to hold her, and learn how to read her behaviour better. It made me a lot more confident with snakes, and helped me to decided to buy another one!

I didnt mean that that was what you were implying, just that I'm happy to be bitten, its a risk we take by keeping 'exotic' pets!! And I guess there are no guarantees with it anyway!

Mind you, I was petrified of my first pet ferret as he made this strange hissing noise and I was SO scared of him biting me!!

You can pick up stunning diamonds and jungles at reasonable prices $250-$350. May aswell apply for you license find a breeder & save the extra few dollars and get something quality so you don't regret it later.

we will see how u go once u get a full grown diamond or jungle latched on to u. have seen the damage they can do

True true, but I guess its just a risk that is associated and I am willing to accept that. Especially since there is no real way to avoid it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back