Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's fine , don't worry about it I have a 7ft costal that sits in a branch all day long until I turn off the light.

My friend has a BHP that likes to climb :p your Stimpson must be a character

They are generally terrestrial so they are called that whereas most morelia are generally arboreal so are called arboreal but that doesn't mean they never spend time on the ground.

Spends a lot of time chilling up on his branches... But I thought stimsons we're terrestrial primarily.
Completely normal ...just try to keep the branches lower as they tend to lose there balance and go BUMP in the night

I put a vine in my hatchies cage and he doesn't leave it. :) I think they like to climb aswell...

Completely normal ...just try to keep the branches lower as they tend to lose there balance and go BUMP in the night

Agree, on both counts. I have heard of a case where a stimmie injured itself falling from a branch that was too high up.

when i had one he was always on or under his rock didnt climb much until one night he escaped and i found him high up on a wall behind a mirror lol so they definantly can and will climb....mine never chose to in his enclosure though.

Coastals and stimmie are 2 completely different snakes. One is arboreal e other is terrestrial. So of course your coastal sits in a branch most the day. It is less uncommon for a stimmie but that is a generalisation.

I've seen plenty of stimi's climbing in the wild. Rock faces, caves etc.... They will munch down bats hanging on cave roofs if they get half a chance. I think the idea that they dont climb was put forth from arm chair herpers.

Just like my 'arboreal' Diamond who after swallowing her dinner fell off her ledge and landed in her water bowl 2 feet below

Stimmies are "primarily" terrestrial. If you put finer branches in your enclosure they probably wouldn't use them. But a log like you have - and I have in mine - they can use a lot. They seem to enjoy the different texture of the wood. As others have said, keep them low to avoid fall injuries.

My BHP and Spotted Python, both love to climb, my spotted spends most of her time on her branch and my BHP loves to climb anything.

Most animals will go where the correct temperature is. If that means siting on a log well...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back