Thought I'd come out of my hide :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cooperftw

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello people!

So my journey into the reptile world has been an interesting one. I live in a unit, and I started out searching for a small pet to care for as I love animals and I'm pretty passionate about them. This time I was after something unique. My girlfriend suggested the Australian Phasmid (stick / spiney leave insects) as they pretty much are easy to care for with gum leaves and a spray of water and presto.

I went to Kellyville Pets (largest pet store in sydney) as it's nearby and had a look at a few, they actually grow quite large. I was almost ready to buy on impulse but I didn't. I'm an impulsive buyer :rolleyes:

I decided to do a little more research, and insect keeping sites linked through to reptile keeping ones so I got more interested about reptiles. My girlfriend has always wanted a black headed python one day and I was reluctant to entertain that idea. But reading a little more I've decided a reptile (I looked at blue tongues and now snakes) might be a little more interesting. I told her I've been looking at Antaresia pythons and she's stoked. So here I am :)

I've been doing a lot of reading on keeping and maintaining them. I suppose the next steps I'm taking is getting my reptile license and finding a breeder/seller nearby where I can look at and buy the one I want, either spotted, stimsons or children's pythons as they're nice and small.

Well that's me in a nutshell, looks like I've found the right place.
Cheers!

Welcome to APS Cooperftw,

just a warning keeping Reptiles is ADDICTIVE.

Agree with Schlumpe, you wont stop at one.

I have Central Dragons, but am falling in love with monitors on this site.

I dont go the whole snake thing, to fickle.

:)

Yes well this is looking at being a potentially expensive hobby, if at all addiction. I've gone from a $20 Spiney Leaf Insect to a $300 or thereabouts python, hehe. I can already see myself out of pocket for this guy. I might be having a look at some local spotted pythons soon, the excitement is beginning to build.

Get the licence underway as soon as you can, as it can take up to a month to get it all sorted.
And welcome. Keep us posted on what you end up getting. :)

welcome to aps. I have two spotted hatchies atm. they are great but are very snappy when young. Most grow out of it though.

Welcome to APS :)
First tip if your trying to save money ,.. Dont shop @ Kellyville:)

Yes well this is looking at being a potentially expensive hobby,

You say that you have an impulsive buying nature.
LMAO, Your DOOMED :p

At least your doing some research before buying your 1st.
Welcome to the site :D

Welcome to APS,its great your doing some research before buying on impulse,like alot of ppl do,then realise how do i care for it,what temperatures do they need,how often do i feed etc.Buying any of the Antaresia family to start with would be a great choice for a first snake.Ive never owned any myself,but what alot of others have said,they are great,make sure you get one with a great feeding history,remember pictures when you do buy,best of luck....

Welcome to APS:D
Members/private breeders often have much cheaper (and generally better) snakes.
The banks love impulse buyers:D
Well done.

Welcome Azza, my 1st snakey was a spotted and she is awesome. She's a little bit psycho now that she's an adult but it adds to her charactor. great first snake good luck.

Welcome to APS!!!

Id send in for your license right now, because if you find a snake first your gunna hate waiting for your license hehe takes up to a month, some are quicker..

Good luck !

Welcome to APS :)
First tip if your trying to save money ,.. Dont shop @ Kellyville:)
welcome to aps cooperftw.
Like gecko just said dont shop at kellyville they kinda love over priceing things;)
Try some online shops like herpshop or our aps for sale section for some bargins!
cheers.

Get the licence underway as soon as you can, as it can take up to a month to get it all sorted.
And welcome. Keep us posted on what you end up getting. :)

Welcome to APS!!!

Id send in for your license right now, because if you find a snake first your gunna hate waiting for your license hehe takes up to a month, some are quicker..

Good luck !

Cheers:) Yeah It's faxed in, done and dusted. The dept. e-mailed me telling me it will be in my letterbox within 3-4 weeks *sigh*

Welcome Azza, my 1st snakey was a spotted and she is awesome. She's a little bit psycho now that she's an adult but it adds to her charactor. great first snake good luck.

Welcome to APS,its great your doing some research before buying on impulse,like alot of ppl do,then realise how do i care for it,what temperatures do they need,how often do i feed etc.Buying any of the Antaresia family to start with would be a great choice for a first snake.Ive never owned any myself,but what alot of others have said,they are great,make sure you get one with a great feeding history,remember pictures when you do buy,best of luck....

Thanks guys. Yeah I am reading all about that and so fourth, I wouldn't want to care for an animal if I didn't know how. I suppose my biggest questions are around handling. I mean obviously reptiles aren't affectionate or anything and I'm not looking for that reason, it's more the novelty and speciality, and they just look cool as well.

cracksinthepitch, what do you mean by a bit psycho? :) Do these guys, once out of their enclosure go for their lives all over the place or are they more placid (generally speaking about antaresia pythons here as that's what I'm after). Do they generally dislike being handled? I'd love one with character though. I thought they became a little more laid back when they get older :p

Oh, and thanks for the advice, I'll try and stay away from Kellyville pets... was just browsing really :) Admittedly they are very helpful and stock a lot of stuff though. I've had a look at Reptile Direct online, from the outside they look a little expensive ( $20 for a water bowl for instance) but I haven't done a thorough search yet but I should get something before I find my python.

Any advice on the size of an enclosure for an antaresia? And the type of flooring like sand or whatever? I'm going to try and create a natural enclosure.

I have two, one is a hatchy, she is a bit psycho but calming down nicely, when they are tiney they don't break the skin and it is funny when they try to kill your finger, not so funny when older but makes for good APS pics;):D

First was psycho to begin with but a few good feeds fixed that.
I have kept mine in 2ft set ups and the hatchy is accessed via a lid , not doors like my first and I have found this good for getting behind her to pick her up, she is not as flighty. Either way it seems reasonalble to allow them a few moments for eyes to adjust to the light. Having said all this alot of members will tell you to use a click clack as it is cheap and small thus making the snake feel secure. I have never had one, and my hatchy is out all the time, very confident little thing:D:D. My boy was a bit shy but is out alot now he's older. This is just what I have done, proberbly breaks all the rules.

Yes well this is looking at being a potentially expensive hobby, if at all addiction. I've gone from a $20 Spiney Leaf Insect to a $300 or thereabouts python, hehe. I can already see myself out of pocket for this guy. I might be having a look at some local spotted pythons soon, the excitement is beginning to build.

your probley looking at about $180-$220 for a spotted (mac)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back