Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakehandler

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
There was a thread about crosses that has been closed, not wanting to open an old thread I thought that I would clarify what is not permited in VIC in terms of crossing.

It is illegal to cross species of wildlife, such as GTP and carpets, they have their own unique species code and therefore must be placed under the appropriate code. However as most subspecies are not recognised by the DSE the crossing of subspecies is fine as long as a person maintains the records. (according to regulations)

Technically keeping a jungle in Vic is the same as keeping any other carpet. They have taken out the subspecies list in many cases.

Gvien that they have Morelia spilota, morelia bredli, morelia amethistina, there are no subsepeices listed....so it is not illegal to cross a jungle and a carpet from any locality...but it is illegal to cross a bredli with any carpet.

Gvien that they have Morelia spilota, morelia bredli, morelia amethistina, there are no subsepeices listed....so it is not illegal to cross a jungle and a carpet from any locality...but it is illegal to cross a bredli with any carpet.

So that is to say all other morelia sub-species (aside from the ones Victorians cannot keep ie: carinata[thought I read that somewhere]), are kept under M.Spilota? Just curious.

They have changed it recently to state Morelia spilota......there are NO subspecies listed on the application forms, here is a link to the application form from the DSE website.
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/CA256F310024B628/0/B26F8AF7E3D97226CA257193007930EF/$File/Application+for+a+Private+Wildlife+Licence.pdf

Thanks for the quick reply. Strange the Vic gov't saw fit to remove sub-species. I will have to look into the science involved in making their decision.

Sorry about the first post I was just sent the species list given by WAGLS has the following:
2618 Morelia amethistina
2969 Morelia spilota varigata
2623 Morelia bredli
2968 Morelia spilota spilota

NO other carpets are on the list at this stage...this is up for review at the moment, this technically means that jungles cannot be kept in victoria!!...

As proserpines and other local names for coastals are just locality names they all go under varigata, but all others are not permit to be kept.

The regs state that you cannot cross a listed species with another listed speceis....

There are a few changes planned here for the next renewal of permits, a umber of species will change from the current licensing categories, some more species will be added and some will go off permit.

DSE recognise that there is a fault with the forms which state only morelia spilota and the WAGLS which has a few different sub species codes, however as there is not enough data to support all the claimed subspecies they have to date not changed the codes. this may not change

When you say some will go off permit, do you mean they can be legally kept off license like eastern bluies or that they won't be able to be kept at all?

yes there are several species that will be going of permit like eastern blue tongues and can be kept without a wildlife permit, this does not apply to people conducting a display or demonstration as they must have them listed on their permit in order to take them from their premises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back