To cull or not to cull... that is the question...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a real problem with the fact that this view is so widely held. An eastern grey kangaroo found 200km from where eatern greys lived prior to european settlement is just as feral as a cat, goat or dog.
Just because something is native to Australia does not mean it is native to the area.

Interesting point... hehe...

Feral \Fe"ral\, a. [L. ferus. See Fierce.] (Bot. & Zo["o]l.)
Wild; untamed; ferine; not domesticated; -- said of beasts,
birds, and plants.

Hmmmm... Well does that mean sugar gliders are feral too??? They're not domesticated...

Nor are they beasts however... similar to be said of roos...

However...

feral
adj : wild and menacing; "a ferocious dog" [syn: savage]

The adjective would be close to stating a wandering roo was a 'menace'.

How ever native to a country normally isolates pockets of the said species.. Therefore on that suggestion any new pockets that may occur will be ordered by natural selection.

In the case of cane toads... not native to this country nor area, but natural selection is forcing other animals (natives) out...

Now a native forcing a further native out does sound closer to natural selection, therefore the word feral in my opinion is not the word to use...

This easter grey found its way, 200km from its own family... Natural selection will therefore determine the order of species in that pocket...

Sorry magpie, all respect to you and the idea. But I just don't buy it :p

Keep it rolling!

(incidentally, for your info, I'm not anti culling, im anti murdering for our mistakes)

For all those bleeding hearts take a wonder through pucka and see all the Roo's dieing of starvation, and illness. We are talking about plague proportions of animals here not endangered natives, or even natives that are blossaming. I think a few people need to take a drive out of the city and drop into see a few farmers and find out what is really going on. I haven't seen a practical solution yet other than to do regular culls. I've seen a Roo go over a 15 foot cyclone fence, it clipped the top but still made it over. Try farming an animal that can do that, it has been done don't get me wrong but not sustainable.

"Bow and arrow I dont know so much too many near misses or near hits for my likeing"

not entirely true a skilled archer will hit and kill far more then an unskilled shooter, archery is a sport of skill and patience, we dont just drive around in a 4x4 shooting at anything that moves we have to stalk the prey and get close enough for a true shot ,sometimes this can take hours to kill one animal and once we hit an animal if it runs as some do we track it down to make sure it is dead.

Save the Roo !

Over the years I have read and heard the tireless argument about how kangaroo populations have grown to plague poportions as a result of land-use changes that Europeans have visited upon this continent.

We have all been brain-washed ad-nauseum with the belief that killing is now the only solution for this "problem" and the bigger the kill, the better.

Now, in this day and age of terrorist threats, even the national symbol of Australia has become fair game !

Well quite frankly...when one considers the entire macropodid radiation, the facts just do not support the actions. Even the periodic bursts of recovery that two or three species experience should not be taken as justification for what is without doubt a mindless act of extirmination.

We are currently living in a time of global wildlife slaughter that probably has no equal in human history, and in my opinion this so-called "culling" of kangaroos is among the worst examples on the planet.

It must be stopped, and stopped very quickly indeed.

Now, I know there are some very experienced and intelligent users of this forum that will recoil in horror to their filing cabinets to prove me wrong. So, go right ahead and pluck out any of the various reports by the honourable Professor Destructo of the University of Stupidity and Ignorance, and I'll rip them to shreds.

You will only succeed in boring me with these numerous, publicly-funded academic diatribes about how Australia can "safely" kill-off millions of Red Kangaroos and Grey Kangaroos each year and actually HELP our environment. I already have all the reports, all the so-called scientific papers, read all the projections...and most importantly have seen the results. And the results are appalling, the responsibility awful.

These so-called scientific reports and papers that have been written to justify the culling of roos are, in my opinion, documents of disgrace. To me, many are flawed at the most basic level of methodology, and many contain both errors of interpretation and interpolation that would be a disgrace in a high school science project.

Yet billions of dollars of public money has been squandered in achieving little more than the protection of an industry operated largely by a pack of moronic animal butchers and part-time criminals.

The simple fact is all commercial and recreational killing of kangaroos should cease immediately.

It's the bloodiest of disgraces, and it makes me sick to the depths of my being.

Richard Wells

When I was at Pucka Barracks they had just done a cull, you couldn't even tell that they had culled any. There was no food for them at the time and most were beginning to die from starvation. What would you prefer would you like to see them starve to death or would a bullet look better. Sometimes ****** just has to be done and those who no the least about whats going on are the loudest voices you hear.
Im sorry but most people who live in suburbia do love roos and all the furry little creatures that the bush has but in the real world they can be a pest and have to be contolled to some degree.Bow and arrow I dont know so much too many near misses or near hits for my likeing but humane culling is a must.I invite anyone to come out my way Im on the cusp of the great dividing range and tell me we should stop culling.Cattle ,sheep,goats, and pigs can all be a menace but they can also be controlled by fencing,try keeping a roo confined it cant be done unless you want 15 foot cyclone fences JMO but having been a farmer and a land owner for over 25 years there is a place for everything and also a limit to what can have a place.
Odie

Well said mayo and Odie .Couldnt have put it better myself Odie, as a live on the cusp of the range aswell. I grew up around Sydney and some city folk just have no idea what it's like to live on the land.

I think Roo’s are absolutely delicious!! :D Apparently possum isn’t too bad either! :p Quite frankly, anything that can be BBQed, salt and peppered and washed down with a coldie should be given at least a moments silence after it’s been taken out :lol: It’s a good thing we’re not a carnivorous species of animal, hell, we might even start having some compassion for lamb, duck and pigs (delicious the lot of em by the way :D)

By the way i'm not for culling, I have been a life time vegetarian. Hence I don't like culling animals but sometimes it just has to be done. Four people on my short country road have been killed alone due to accidents over roo's this year alone. The rest just lucky. Next time your feeding your herp what was once live food, or are eating a steak, think, does that bother you? Or does it not matter so much cause you did not do the culling.
I'm sorry if that sounds harsh to some, but it is a way of life...

Last edited:
lilith you just reminded me of my friends neighbours they too are vegetarian, but the sad part about this is all their animals are too dogs included, its no wonder then that their dogs killed and ate their goats is it lol

please note im not dissing vegetarians, just thought it was a funny story to share

Gotta say roo tastes way better than the brahmans they sell up here as our steak, less fat content also..

No offence taken kel.. I may be vegetarian, but i would not deprive my carnivorous friends, legged or not of a good feed of meat :lol:

I have heard that Hunter, not that i would know :). I feel The quality of meat is declining due to the drought and all those extra roo's hopping around the place eating up the resources surely couldnt help...hmmm and those bunnies we have around here

due to the drought and all those extra roo's hopping around the place eating up the resources surely couldnt help...hmmm and those bunnies we have around here

And those evil animals are eating your vege’s also lilith!!! Doesn’t that make you mad?? Even ANGRY?? I’ll tell you what, you club em and I’ll eat em and we’ll both benefit from it :D What do you reckon?? Huh? Huh? :D

Yet billions of dollars of public money has been squandered in achieving little more than the protection of an industry operated largely by a pack of moronic animal butchers and part-time criminals.

The simple fact is all commercial and recreational killing of kangaroos should cease immediately.

It's the bloodiest of disgraces, and it makes me sick to the depths of my being.

Richard Wells

This statement complete BS. I have met roo shooters that are actually fairly bright ppl yes they are animal butchers obviously since they butcher animals for meat:lol: to judge a group of ppl as morons says alot more about you than it says about them.
Im sorry we arnt all ethically supperior no it alls like your self, i would be interested to see the proof you have that shooting roos is bad for the environment.
I cant say i have ever heard of any factual arguement agianst the limited culling and harvesting of roos. I hear alot of emotion about how wrong it is to kill an animal but where are the facts to back it up?
I would also like to see your proof that roos cannot possibly have a negative impact on the environment.

I do agree with the ppl who suggest that we should not be farming destructive hoofed animals, but i dont see that changing myself and if it did that would just mean more roos would need to be used for meat so the bleading hearts would be out in force :lol:

Me?! Angry? ummm no, but some people might class me as a little mad :D Be my guest moose, though i would probably find it more amusing watching you run around the paddock after them, i could supervise :lol:

Interesting point... hehe...

Feral \Fe"ral\, a. [L. ferus. See Fierce.] (Bot. & Zo["o]l.)
Wild; untamed; ferine; not domesticated; -- said of beasts,
birds, and plants.

Hmmmm... Well does that mean sugar gliders are feral too??? They're not domesticated...

Nor are they beasts however... similar to be said of roos...

However...

feral
adj : wild and menacing; "a ferocious dog" [syn: savage]

The adjective would be close to stating a wandering roo was a 'menace'.

How ever native to a country normally isolates pockets of the said species.. Therefore on that suggestion any new pockets that may occur will be ordered by natural selection.

In the case of cane toads... not native to this country nor area, but natural selection is forcing other animals (natives) out...

Now a native forcing a further native out does sound closer to natural selection, therefore the word feral in my opinion is not the word to use...

This easter grey found its way, 200km from its own family... Natural selection will therefore determine the order of species in that pocket...

Sorry magpie, all respect to you and the idea. But I just don't buy it :p

Keep it rolling!

(incidentally, for your info, I'm not anti culling, im anti murdering for our mistakes)

So if we change the environment and allow the "native" animals to colonise areas they did not live before, in numbers that are far in excess of what they used to be, we should allow natural selection to deal with the problem. But if we move an animal over a bit of ocean, then we should try and eradicate them? Where's the line?

Oh, and I can play word games as well...

Feral : Used to refer to animals which have become wild in an area outside of their natural range, usually due to human forces.

Richard Wells you did nothing but blow hot air, Give me a viable alternative, or a practical solution and I'll listen but you said absolutely nothing. Do you live in the city and work out of a little cubicle? Just a though because you don't seem to understand the problem at all. Yes they are a native and humans have caused the problem but by not doing a regular cull we are only letting the problem get worse. The Roo's over population is killing off other species as well. Where is your bleeding heart for those animals dieing because the Roo's have eaten them out.

And yes Skippy tastes good, good bit of butter on the plate for a good skippy steak, or cut off a chunk and wrap it in aluminium foil and stick it in the coal's all good (Just don't over cook get's to chewy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back