Top 10 reptile you want to see at a 'Reptile Zoo'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its nice to see exotics to show more from other parts of the world but also seeing more natives would be nice too. Zoos are tourist attractions of other areas not just their local population. So a display of what they have living locally as well as showing varied colours/patterns of similar species from other states would also be cool. I mean, most ppl have seen a red bellies and they don't change whether they are in QLD, NSW or VIC. But the carpets do, monitors do, and many other lizards and snakes do doubt also change. Tigers seem to come in varied colours depending on location so I've seen.

as a few have mentioned it is good to see well done displays. i also prefer multispecies enclosures where possible.

main thing i;d like to see in a zoo is good coloured jungles and some bredli's. there probably more i could think of but the jungles i've seen at zoo's are dog ugly and never see bredlis

main thing i;d like to see in a zoo is good coloured jungles and some bredli's. there probably more i could think of but the jungles i've seen at zoo's are dog ugly and never see bredlis

you need to go to the australian reptile centre in canberra they have a bredli display, huge female, and the jungle/ adder display is pretty good. Though be better if the enclosures had some background pictures in them

Attachments

• jungle adder display.JPG
    jungle adder display.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 59
  • bredli display.JPG
    bredli display.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 53
wouldnt the adder kill the jungle

no, as far as i know they have been housed like that for 10 years together and obviously there arent any issues.

There isnt any reason for them to interact with one another

Actually the scrub pythons have a couple of green tree frogs in with them which have also been there for a while

when i went to the reptile center in canberra, went there hopeing to see a great range of animals n i was very disappointed, the bredlis looked severly overfed. there are alot of members on this site with better quality animals and larger varieties. the ballarat wildlife park has some nice reptiles on display, also their aussie lungfish is a must see, its as close to a prehistoric animal as you can get.

all the worlds different species of crocodiles & alligators in enclosures one next to the other so you can really see the varities.

Ballarat wildlife park has rattlers, retics, cobras on display. And melbourne zoo has eyelash viper. Plus one of them has a bredli on display also.

For me it'd probbaly be alot more monitors, i am constantly disappointed at the lack of large monitor species displayed at zoos, with the exception of one Perentie at 'The Australian Reptile Park' and the Komodo at Taronga.
Good question to ask, SlothHead.
Ben.

Boelens Pythons and massive Gippsland Lace Monitors.

As great as some background landscape paintings are, i think if they are too impressive they tend to take the attention away from what you're supposed to be looking at.

vipers have movable front fangs ... elapids, the fangs are fixed in one position and are relatively short to avoid puncturing the snake's bottom lip. Vipers have long fangs that are hinged and fold back into the mouth.:)

Komodo dragons, yellow spotted monitors, king cobras, coastal taipans, saltwater or nile crocs, black mambas, aligator snappers, African rock pythons, Gaboon Vipers and leatherback turtles.

Yeah, it is always good to see large animals, but there is that issue of having the space to accomodate the animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back