TrueBlue's Anti-Thermostat Stand

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you need to adjust the wattages depending on the time of year then TB? And how do the snakes go on the hot summer days when the cool end is so warm?

25 watt over summer, 40 watt over winter.
When the summer temps are hot its the same as any set up except i know what time of the day/year the shed gets to 30 degrees or more and use timers to turn everything off, if it gets to hot ,which it rarely does up here, ice packs wrapped in a pillow case do the trick.
If the timer breaks and im not home in warm weather it dosnt matter at all because the cold side is unheated so they can escape any artificial heating.

Now that is the part I don't get, you don't mind using a timer which can break but hate thermostats. If like me you use low wattage bulbs with a thermostat it is effectively no different to your system but with the thermostat it is more accurate because it will actually turn off when the temp gets too high but with the timer it still relies on you to adjust it.
Don't get me wrong if it works for you fine but what I object to is the assertion that snakes will somehow live longer healthier lives without a thermostat which is quite frankly absurd.

thats a nice set up Blue, so all your cages are doubles, and all you use is a 25watt globe in summer and a 40 watt globe in winter. No thermostat. Looks like you dont cage your lights?
Do you use thermometers or don't need to.
Question- where i live in winter a 40 watt and a 25 watt globe run together dont bring the temp up enough, so i need to put a heat mat under the cage cause the cage floors are cold. you dont get this in winter ( or it may not matter if cooling anyway)
I am interested in trying to understand your method.

theres a big difference boa, this method for most of the year has CONSTANT heat not on/off heat that a thermostat provides. For example if a snake starts feeling a little bit crook it can lie under the light to get as warm as it wants with constant heat, with a thermostat the light is constantly turning on and off in most set ups which can, and in alot of cases does, make the snake sicker quicker. Thats another reason thermostats suck big time.
plus boa for about the 500th time i am refering to box type enclosures that use fairly high wattage bulbs as this is the most common way people keep them and high constant temps WILL shorten a reptiles life, not absurd at all. In fact most of these type set ups the keeper is telling the snake what temp it has to be, WRONG, best to let them decide for themselves i recon and the way i set them up it does exactly that, much like in the wild. Do you understant it yet.!!!!

Cement, its irrelevent what the cage temps are as they can lie on the box/perch directly under the light and get as warm as they want by absorbing the heat radiated from the bulb, the longer they stay there the warmer they get. simple.

Last edited:
with a thermostat the light is constantly turning on and off in most set ups which can, and in alot of cases does, make the snake sicker quicker. Thats another reason thermostats suck big time.

How about dimming thermostats? They don't turn on and off.

We had an ON/OFF thermostat but I didn't like it so we got rid of it and switched to a dimming type. The temps seem to stay very constant.

better than an on/off one, but just not need at all the way i set them up.

Ahh ok. Yeah I don't like the ON/OFF ones. Too inconsistent.

Come on Rob, you know you're wrong!

TrueBlue: can I have your address and birthday? I want to send you a big bag of thermostats as a present. Promise not to smash them, okay? They're for your snakes.

Here is a design for you to use, you can replace all your old enclosures now :)

Attachments

• Rob's new snake enclosure design.jpg
    Rob's new snake enclosure design.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 330
LMAO thats a beautiful picture Sdaji! i wish youcould change thread titles to more suit the thread lol

Oh! Should I have put that into a new thread? Oops! :oops:

Rob with your enclosures would you need to make them larger than you would for a box type enclosure? So that the snake can stretch out in one heat range? Or do they not mind?

From the pics the enclosures look almost 8 feet all up

hahaha, sdaji, sledgehammer prey !!!.

waruikazi, na they can lie the length of the tank from warm to cool side if the want.
All the enclosures are roomy enough for the species, lagre snakes are housed in 6 foot long tanks, medium sixe in 4 foot tanks and small in .9m tanks.

hahaha, sdaji, sledgehammer prey !!!.

waruikazi, na they can lie the length of the tank from warm to cool side if the want.
All the enclosures are roomy enough for the species, lagre snakes are housed in 6 foot long tanks, medium sixe in 4 foot tanks and small in .9m tanks.

Don't deny it, Rob! Now that you've seen my design you're already ordering materials to build enclosures just like it! You just love the even spread of the heat source! Admit it!

Sdaji, those snakes look pretty sick. And I don't mean "fully sik".

:p

Hix

send me as many as you can make sdaji, its my birthday this month. true.

There really is no need for the sarcasm Rob, I understand exactly what you are saying but my point is that having a thermostat somehow shortens a snakes life and I still have heard nothing to come close to showing me how.
I know you have said to me that I argue with you but I am trying to understand what you are saying and some of it to me makes no sense. I use dimmer stats which don't switch lights on and off and maintain a constant temperature extremely well.
I think what you need to do is avoid telling people, especially new keepers, that thermostats are bad and will kill your animals because that is all people see KILL YOUR ANIMALS. Of course a thermostat can fail and could kill an animal but that is only if the keeper is using a bulb that is way too powerful for the cage it is heating.
I have seen a great many collections big and small including some of the biggest breeders in this country and almost without fail they use good quality thermostats and have amazing results. That is not to say their system is right but equally it isn't saying yours is wrong, both systems work in different situations. Rather than scaring people with theoretical scenarios I feel it is better to advice keepers, new and old, on the correct way to set up a cage be it with or without a thermostat.

There are nowhere near enough heat sources in there, you need a nice big heat mat for night time and a big powerful ceramic in case it gets a little chilly.

TrueBlue: can I have your address and birthday? I want to send you a big bag of thermostats as a present. Promise not to smash them, okay? They're for your snakes.

Here is a design for you to use, you can replace all your old enclosures now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back