TrueBlue's Anti-Thermostat Stand

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bredli84,- sorry mate but totally wrong, boas method is NOT as safe and in hot weather if his thermostat breaks there is a real chance of him cooking his snakes even when using low wattage bulbs, whereas if you had read the thread propally, with my tanks there is no way in hell it could ever happen as they can always move to an area that is COMPLETELY un-affected by any artifical heating.

-peter,- hahaha so very very true.

Sorry Rob but unless my reptile room could get to around 50C then there is no way in the world my snakes could cook regardless of how long the bulbs were on. I know you think that piece of timber acts like a force field but really the heat can get through the hole :)
I think the fishing comment could work both ways hey Rob ? LOL

thats absolute rubish boa and you know it, now your just clutching at straws.

On a hot day you DO run the risk of cooking snakes, and no the heat does not affect the other side at all, sorry mate but you are wrong.

Like ive said the only reason i turn the heat off is to save power when its not need, not to stop the snakes cooking because it can never happen. i use timmers for this for the conveiniance of it nothing more.

Rob, maybe just once admit you might be wrong about something. Clutching at straws ??
Like I have said I have nothing against how you set yours up, it seems to work well for you but you do need to accept there are other methods that work as well. Earlier in the thread you have said your comments don't apply to the way I set mine up but now they are a potential death trap.
My room never gets above 30C so I can't see that a few low wattage bulbs are going to make much difference but please you believe whatever you want.

sorry boa yes i was wrong i admitt it, i should of said you have LESS chance of cooking your snakes the way they are set up using low wattage bulbs, but the risk is still there if your airconditioner and thermo breaks. still a risk against no risk.
yes clutching at staws boa, because if you cant get your head around this by now you really must be intelligence challanged, and i know your not, so yes definitley clutching at staws.

Do you have heat after feeding Rob? Or just heat for the day and no heat for night all the time?

Rob, I give up you are right, I'm just off to smash up all my thermostats.
I'm not sure what it is you think I can't get my head around ? Your system works as does mine, I have said this a number of times but somehow it is me who can't get my head around it ?
I'm just not sure how or why I am clutching at straws ?

dee4, the only time my herps dont have acsess to artifical heat is if the snake room, (not tanks), gets to 30 degrees or more as its not needed and saves a bit of power, or if im cooling animals for breeding, ie on during the day off at night, when i feed them during mating their heat stays on 24/7 after a feed untill its all passed, then back to hot days cold night and more mating.
Althought it is not nesecary to turn the heat of at night when mating as most cool themsevles down in the cold side anyway and sucsessfully reproduce.

Its about time you saw the light boa and looked out side the "box".

just for the record boa, ive never said the the thermo method dosnt work but it has a risk that my method completely eliminates, this is my main argument and the fact that most set ups have far to high wattage bulbs imo.

Last edited:
I can see Rob and Boa will never agree, they have been arguing thermostats on this site for at least the last couple of years. Obviously both systems work as each will attest too. But I think Robs systems have a lot of merit.I believe what Rob is trying to show is that his enclosures have a much greater heat gradient than a 'typical' box enclosure and this can only benefit the snake. If people took the temperature at the hot end and cool end of a typical 'box' enclosure I think everybody would agree that unless your enclosure is 10 feet long the diference in temperature would only be a couple of degrees (in a 4ft enclosure), whereas in a setup like Robs the temperature gradient would be at least 5 or 6 degrees, probably more. This HAS to be more benefial and a more natural environment for the snake. I don't believe Rob is trying to rubbish other peoples enclosures who are using thermostats, just trying to point out that you can create a more natural heat gradient by his system, a system that if the right globes are used at the right tie of the year, no thermostats are needed, thereby eliminating a risk that everybody knows is possible

:) Rob would have to be the mother.
We must remember that at least from my side there is no real seriousness to these debates, we don't see eye to eye on a few things and I can live with that and I am sure Rob can but we definitely agree on the really important thing though.

I don't know both TB and Boa use lights to heat with which is more dangerous to the snakes whether you use a thermostat or not.. Seems like a silly argument when using lights isn't the best idea anyway. TB if your so concerned for how others keep their animals why do you recommend using lights??? Randy

Randy, I should add that only one of my banks of cages uses light bulbs for heating, the others use heat mats, or cord. They are a much safer heat source and it is virtually impossible to over heat the animal as they need to actively seek out the hot spot on the floor, also they don't radiate a lot of heat so the rest of the cage remains cooler.

A thermostat is like "a dwarf with learning difficulties"...

hmmm what was that thread on heat mats going crazy and almost burning down the house again?

Yeah mine are pretty small and just clever enough to do their job, no point making them too intelligent I reckon.

A thermostat is like "a dwarf with learning difficulties"...

Hate to cut in on the argument here, and YES… I have read the whole thread. But am I correct in saying that the only real difference between both your heating methods (in the enclosures you have both used as an example) is that TrueBlue uses a partition between both the heated and non-heated ends of the enclosure and boa does not? And the only other difference from the examples given, you both use low wattage bulbs, however TrueBlue’s are left to run 24/7 (unless it is summer, and then they’re on a timer) and boa’s are on a thermostat 24/7?

From the outside looking in, I’d say both methods quite obviously get the job done, only in different ways (which you have both seemed to have realised in the end, if still a little “stubborn”). Glad to see though you guys have actually maintained a mature and VERY interesting argument for once without it getting out of hand… Quite a rarity these days in forums. Good to see you both you guys are very passionate about the health and well beings of the animals you look after and you’re willing to make a stand and back yourselves up and all with the animal’s well being kept at the forefront. Well done!

Absoliutely right, I don't class it as an argument but a debate. A debate has as a minimum 2 opposing sides, in this case both sides are aiming for and achieving the same end result. I fully see the advantages of both sides but choose to use only one.
Just to clarify one thing though I never use bulbs at night, all heating to sub adult/adult snakes gets turned off at night all year round.

Good one Dave
he he he
you deserve a medal for deplomacy ,
,i must say that it is a benefit living up here , i dont use thermostats in my cages ,
but i sure would if i lived down at Brissy or further south and would set them up to the best of my ability etc
prefferring to use as many 40 watt blue bulbs at one end to creat the thermal gradient needed etc and staying away from the higher watt bulbs ,
they cause too many burns,
but nothing is fool proof and accidents can happen ,
we all want the best for our reptiles and can have our own points of view etc ,
plenty of good points for and against the thermostats,
thank god they are 99% reliable, as all our incubators rely on them,
todays technology is great,
PEACE MAN
cheers
Roger

Last edited:
a healthy debate is good for the soul.

na na na, youd have to be the mother boa, hang on, no on second thoughts NO copulating at all. it just wouldnt work. haha.

ravensgait, why do you say that light bulbs are more dangerous, i find it the other way, heat mats and cord burn out from time to time and can burn the whole collection down in the process, a blown light bulb cant do any thing.??
Ive been using bulbs for nearly twenty years and have NEVER had a burn on a snake, so that is not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back