Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justin91

Reaction score
Finally got my hands on a nice tv cabinet today. Its about 2m's tall and weighs a far bit. Thank god it was on wheels. I haven't attempted a D.I.Y yet as I'm not the best designer.

I was thinking of maybe removing the bottom shelf just to make it that little bit bigger. It's got cable holes in the back which is going to come in handy. I was thinking maybe trying to make a fake rock wall at the back but will have to find some guides on how to do it.

Any opinions would be appreciated..

Justin.

Forgot to put in, its a corner TV unit.

Attachments

• IMAG0734.jpg
    IMAG0734.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMAG0736.jpg
    IMAG0736.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 168
If you haven't done fake rock before I would make it on some ply and fit it in once done just in case it doesn't turn out the way you had hoped.

What are you putting in it? If I got my hands on something like that I'd make the top for my spotted and the bottom half for my jungle! Looks good, can't wait to see once you've started the DIY and finished!!!!!

What are you putting in it? If I got my hands on something like that I'd make the top for my spotted and the bottom half for my jungle! Looks good, can't wait to see once you've started the DIY and finished!!!!!

Yeah I was thinking maybe put my spotty up top and save for a gtp or a jungle for the bottom. Yeah hopefully have it done in a few weeks.

cool, that sounds awesome! That's going to make a really good display case in your house :)

hey justin my cabinet exactly the same as yours i went with a bark background and the cupboard underneath has a shelf in it so i am using the top half as his hide have built a bit of a cave in there aswell hope this gives you a couple of ideas...:D

Attachments

• DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 238
hey justin my cabinet exactly the same as yours i went with a bark background and the cupboard underneath has a shelf in it so i am using the top half as his hide have built a bit of a cave in there aswell hope this gives you a couple of ideas...:D

That is amazing. It looks really good. I love the idea of making his hide in the cupboard underneath. I see you have a door on the right hand side of the enclosure so I'm guessing the whole front is glass? I was thinking of maybe putting in sliding glass that could be removed for easy access to cleaning. How much did it set you back (not including any price of the cabinet itself, just the turning into the enclosure)? And what kind of snake do you keep it in it?

Gday mate its not finishe yet still need the glass think I'm going with doors on hinges rather than sliding doors made that decision after I put that door in lol I think the bark cost me about $30 lights and thermo got really cheap about $50 and I'm using sand about $15 the scull $25 cabinet $10 and I'm going to put my bredli in there when he big enough not long now

Looks good guys.
Have been thinking of doing one of these myself as these cabinets are everywhere in the secondhand shops.
Good starting point for people with some diy skills but not into full blown cabinetry.
Did I get all the spelling right Gruni ya .................;)

Don't really care Zanks, finished my reports today so I'm in a different frame of mind now. But thanks for the effort you went to. :p

The cabinet will look awesome. I nearly got something similar for my Mac but the depth was only 400 and I want one 500-600 deep and preferably close to 1m wide. I like the idea of doing the rock background first and then screwing it inplace, I'm still deciding how I want mine to look when it's finished.

Smileysnake: that's pretty cheap. You definitely have to post a picture of the completed project.

Zanks: Yeah definitely give it a go. I did woodwork and metal work through school so I have a little bit of knowledge but I'm nowhere near as good as others on here. Can only give it a go..

Gruni: Yeah definitely better screwing it on incase you don't like the look of it.

hey justin i think i am going to leave it the way it is i dont want greenery in there as it is a desert scene so i only need to finish the cave underneath then glass then i am done what would you suggest i put in there to add to as gruni said they are not real deep so not much floor space to work with but cos smiley the bredli will be going in there he doesnt spend too long on the ground anyway....there is a hide up high with a flat top for a basking platform its on the left great camoflage job lol and his water bowl bottom left so i think i got it all covered.....:D

hey justin i think i am going to leave it the way it is i dont want greenery in there as it is a desert scene so i only need to finish the cave underneath then glass then i am done what would you suggest i put in there to add to as gruni said they are not real deep so not much floor space to work with but cos smiley the bredli will be going in there he doesnt spend too long on the ground anyway....there is a hide up high with a flat top for a basking platform its on the left great camoflage job lol and his water bowl bottom left so i think i got it all covered.....:D

Yeah definitely no greenary. In my opinion I think you have it pretty much covered. You've definitely given me some ideas on what to do with my enclosure. Hopefully start my enclosure this weekend

Been ages since I have replied in this thread but I can say my enclosure is underway. It pretty much sat there as is in the garage for several weeks but now, it has vents in the bottom enclosure. One up high and one down low opposite sides to hopefully create a bit of a wind tunnel kinda thing. I removed one shelf to expand on the bottom enclosure. I'm going to be turning the shelf in the door into a hot box kinda thing. It will have its heat cord in there. I'll insert a small vent into the hot tub just so it doesn't over heat. I'm putting a tile basking spot (concealing the hole in the floor that is the access to the hot tub) at the back of the wall. I have nearly finished my fake rock wall, pretty stoked with how it turned out. I just need do some touch ups when its fitted into it as there are a few gaps....

Tell us what ya think, any suggestions and negative comments would both be appreciated...

Also, not sure as to why the rock wall when I painted it turned yellow as the paint was brown..

Also not sure on what kind of background I'll do for the top enclosure. So never making a fake rock wall again lol.

IMAG0785.jpgIMAG0814.jpg

why arent you going to do another rock wall ? - i think you've done a great job on it, and you say your pretty stoked with the way it turned out, just go back over the yellow spots (lightly) with a slightly darker brown, rocks are all one colour anyway, and by the time you get the added furniture in there it will only be noticeable to you.

why arent you going to do another rock wall ? - i think you've done a great job on it, and you say your pretty stoked with the way it turned out, just go back over the yellow spots (lightly) with a slightly darker brown, rocks are all one colour anyway, and by the time you get the added furniture there it will only be noticeable to you.

The more and more I think about it after reading your post the more it makes sense to do another rock wall. That's a good idea actually considering if I do another wall ill need more paint anyway. Do you think the hot box idea would be good? If I got the temps right it make a pretty good hide

Always been a fan of 'hot hides' :) if you are going to do one so low, just do one 'side' of the cupboard (behind one door not both) heat rises and if you do both sides you'll have trouble with a cool spot . Does that make sense ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back