Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always been a fan of 'hot hides' :) if you are going to do one so low, just do one 'side' of the cupboard (behind one door not both) heat rises and if you do both sides you'll have trouble with a cool spot . Does that make sense ?
Yeah that makes sense. Was exactly what I was going to do. Great minds think alike lol.

Ok so, bit stuck on something, as a few posts above I was going to do a "heat box" idea, where the cupboards underneath was going to house a heat source, ie; heat map/cord, probably a mat as I already have one. But, I'm not quiet sure how to do it as your meant to have them under the enclosure. I can't exactly put it under my enclosure so what would be the best way of doing it?

Also, here is a pic of my enclosure so far. Run down: Top enclosure is desert theme which will house a bearded dragon, the bottom is going to house my spotted python in a jungle theme enclosure. The bottom enclosure has a hole at the back so my spotted can slither down in winter into his hot box. I have 4 vents. one located at the bottom right corner and top left corner (create a wind flow kinda idea) I still need to put a vent in my hot box just to let excess heat out. Probably put a decent sized one in there. The rockwalls aren't finished yet. Still need to do one more coat of render on the top one and paint some detail into it and then seal it. The bottom rockwall was my first one and its not very good but it'll do for now just need to paint it some more and then seal it. I still have to screw them in and use some expanding foam around the gaps.

Also not sure why the paint went yellow on the bottom rockwall. Very odd.

Also I'm painting the enclosure black. :)

Attachments

• IMAG0846.jpg
    IMAG0846.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 84
Why not do it like with the heat cord and build a frame and sit a tile like a slate tile above the heat mat and that way you achieve what you want. Have a look at the heat tile build I did in my cabinet thread.

Why not do it like with the heat cord and build a frame and sit a tile like a slate tile above the heat mat and that way you achieve what you want. Have a look at the heat tile build I did in my cabinet thread.

Oh yeah thats a good idea, I was originally going to do one like yours except I thought, I already have a mat so no need to buy a cord, your enclosures coming along good.

Thanks. I'm hoping that by the time Skittles sheds next week it will be basically ready for her to move into. :)

Yours is looking great so far too, a heat cord is pretty cheap and you can get a decent thermostat for simple regulation of a heat tile 24/7 for under $30. Even with a heat mat I would run a thermo in that situation.

Thanks. I'm hoping that by the time Skittles sheds next week it will be basically ready for her to move into. :)

Yours is looking great so far too, a heat cord is pretty cheap and you can get a decent thermostat for simple regulation of a heat tile 24/7 for under $30. Even with a heat mat I would run a thermo in that situation.

Wow $30 is pretty cheap. I don't really know much about thermostats but what kind (if you know) would you reckon I'd need for a bulb to make a basking spot for my bearded? A dimming one? I got a on/off Thermostat for my heatmat but I think it be different for a heat lamp as I wouldn't want the bulb turning on and off constantly..

I might look into getting a heat cord. Where did you get yours from? PM me if its not a sponsor. Also what kind of glass did you get? 5mm toughened?

Have a look in my thread, both of the thermos are pictured and I bought them on ebay. I have never used them so I can't give you much advice. The cheap white one is what I am using on the heatcord as it will be running 24/7 where as the more expensive one is what I am using on the halogen as it has a day/night function and I only want the halogen to work during dayight hours.

I'll have to search a bit as I have a blank on where I got the heatcord although it may coincidentally be one of the sponsors on here... :D

Been a while since I posted or done anything on my enclosure. But I've finally put all my vents in (except one which I need to feed a cable through when I get round to it), lighting for bottom enclosure and finally finished painting the damn thing. I started making a cave today for the top enclosure (cave/hide). I'm pretty impressed with it. Did a coat of render and it turned out really good. Another two coats and some detailing and it'll be done. Only things I really have to do now is find a better log, wait for rest of my plants to arrive (some vines for the jungle theme enclosure) buy and install a UVB light into the top enclosure and install my basking globe into the top one. Hopefully get my glass on Monday. I don't know much about tracks though. Are they expensive? I'm thinking of going 3/4mm glass (doesn't need to be toughended, only housing a spotted and bearded). I think I'll be done after that. Knowing me I'll probably miss/forget something.

Oh and I also got a sherrifs badge/star (also waiting on it to arrive) to half dig into the sand in my desert theme enclosure. Give it that bit more detail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

I know I right this in every post of my enclosure but the background down the bottom isn't actually yellow. Always comes up in photos no matter what kind of lighting it is

Attachments

• IMAG0888.jpg
    IMAG0888.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0889.jpg
    IMAG0889.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0885.jpg
    IMAG0885.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0887.jpg
    IMAG0887.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 54
Glass track will set you back ~$20 from bunnings. The track takes 5mm glass so thinner glass will rattle a bit and if its a hatchie spotted there's a chance it could get itself stuck in the gap.

Glass track will set you back ~$20 from bunnings. The track takes 5mm glass so thinner glass will rattle a bit and if its a hatchie spotted there's a chance it could get itself stuck in the gap.

Will they cut it for me or will I have to cut it myself? I'll go down to bunnings tomorrow check it out, hopefully they have some black tracking.

His about 8 months old and would be about 1.5cm wide in his widest part (not really to sure cause his in shed and hasn't come out of his cave for a few days so thats off the top of my head).

Brown or white are your only two options from bunnings. It comes in a plastic pack containing top and bottom track.
I've seen white on black enclosures and it quite striking !
2 choices of length, either 1800mm or 1200mm. My local store has to order in the 1200 and it only works out 60c cheaper.

It's easily cut with a hand saw.

Measure both openings, chances are you'll get both out of 1 1800mm pack

Last edited:
Brown or white are your only two options from bunnings. It comes in a plastic pack containing top and bottom track.
I've seen white on black enclosures and it quite striking !
2 choices of length, either 1800mm or 1200mm. My local store has to order in the 1200 and it only works out 60c cheaper.

It's easily cut with a hand saw.

Measure both openings, chances are you'll get both out of 1 1800mm pack

Has anybody told you how awesome you are? You've helped me out so much jax, really appreciate it.

I'll try the white and see how it goes. I'll have to get two 1800mm as I need 4 x 800mm.

Naw shucks ! You'll have me blushing if you keep that up :)

I'm glad I've managed to help you in some way, but remember one thing . You are the one who has put on the time and effort to complete it

Ok so today I went out a bought the tracks for my glass. Got the white ones and they look pretty cool with the black enclosure. Also screwed in a log today to make it more secure. Can't wait for my vines to arrive then I'm off again to the cheap shop to get some more fake plants.

Attachments

• IMAG0890.jpg
    IMAG0890.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back