U.V Lights On dragons who uses it.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHo uses U.V lights on there dragon tank

• I do (They Need it)

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I don't (they don't need it)

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • To expensive

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • My tanks to hight it would do nothing any way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated, I also know a few 'large' breeders who do not use it.

They also suppliment.

Personally, I dont use lights, I think it is beneficial, but not 100% necessary.

Yes it helps the strong bones etc etc. But so does a lot of other factors.

Remember 5 minutes of sun light is about the equivelant to 8 hours under a UV globe..

I have mine in the sun once or twice a week for 20 mins or so. I kept adult beardies for a few years with no UV, there perfect. I also know of a 9 year old beardy which has never had UV, or even sunlight for that matter..

Yes there are always exceptions. But IMO its a benefit, not a necessity..

All I'll say is; don't expect a UV bulb to end any calcium related problems with your dragon. If you want UV, look at getting it from the ideal source...... and it's not a zoomed ar exoterra product ;).

All I'll say is; don't expect a UV bulb to end any calcium related problems with your dragon. If you want UV, look at getting it from the ideal source...... and it's not a zoomed ar exoterra product ;).

10.0 reptisuns at the apropriate distance, T-rex and Megarays have done wonders in solving MBD and other calcium porblems, its just you've never heard of it...

the sun does wonders, although with MBD unless you can spend hours every day its not going to do much, also not every day is sunny, the right temps, or weather..

the right products do the right thing. and just because a breeder doesnt use them doesnt mean they know what their doing or what it is right, or necessary for the animal... alot of breeders are in it for the money so of course UVB would be seen as expensive necessity, thus scrapped..

with beardies.. they are only in your care for a few weeks usually,(if your breeding them) some may think why bother.. seeign your not going to have to deal with furutr MBD problems, ingoring the fact, int hose few weeks they are still growing bodies who demand food and warmth and UVB..

the ignorance of some people is amasing..

Kirby, Im not sure who you are or your breeding experience, but the people I have seen breeding beardies have the BEST bearded adults in this state anyway.

None have UV. You can jump up and down all you like, it wont change the fact that they produce hundreds and hundreds of them each year without issue, or complaint from the next owners.

As for getting rid of them, wrong again. The holdbacks are kept the same way, and there outstanding.

Just cause it works for you doesnt mean everyone has to do what you do. Again, I agree its beneficial, but not essential.

I have a question for the more experienced beardie owners/breeders.

If I wanted to raise/keep my dragons without UV, how much natural sunlight should I be giving them each week?

Too hard to give an exact time I would imagine..

The hatchlings I have had I took outside once a week, sometimes twice, for about half hour. They got to adult hood fine. Still going strong.

the low light dilates (because they see the UVB as dull) and the UVC deos the damage..

I'm being pedantic but UVB doesn't dilate the pupil, I doubt they can even see the UVB, humans certainly can't. Regardless pupil size is related to the overall light reaching the retina, and not the UV component of the spectrum. So unless the visible light level is different during the first few days when UVC output is higher then pupil size won't have any effect.

If I wanted to raise/keep my dragons without UV, how much natural sunlight should I be giving them each week?

Impossible question to answer in detail but in short as much as possible. If you can, make an outdoor enclosure with a heat source (spot bulb) that can be used through the warmer months. You can take your lizards inside during times of extensive bad weather. As said, there are a few large scale breeders (myself included) who have kept raised and bred large numbers of dragons without UV or sunlight, though I am not recommending anyone do this, just saying it can be done.

I mostly have mine in natural sunlight, but when it's not outside it has a uv light on. I have also noticed it's happier when it's outside than under the light.
Until it gets bigger (he's only a few weeks old) then i'll keep the uv light off and stick with the natural sunlight

Last edited:

I'm not experienced but i have asked heaps of questions...Our vet who also keeps beardies let us know a min of 3-4 days a week for no less than an hour each time(any less than that they dont get enough uv), they'll get more from that than being under a uv light everyday, and if they get that there is no real need for a uv light.

Hello

Hello,

My problem with people saying that they can raise dragons without UVB is that a beginner that doesn't know what they are doing is going to read & think they can get by without. Has anyone that does not use UVB gotten a bloodtest done of the 25 hydroxy levels to determine the bone strength? If not, I suggest you have it done. Dragons can hold a hydroxy level of roughly 100 or +1 to +2 with a minimum of 50uwcm2 on a year around basis. Over time, if the UVB exposure decreases & their nutritional factors are not met, their bones can begin to weaken. This is something that you cannot see at first. It could manifest itself worst in some than in others. What about a female that is borderline low calcium & lays? She will be weakened & her babies might end up with weaker bones than they should.
My whole argumment is they bask in the sun in the wild, so, why would anyone want to deprive them of their natural light or provide it when they cannot be outside? It seems kind of cruel if you ask me.
I have already explained the dilation & constriction of the pupil. It is all lighting, & has nothing to do with strictly the UVC. It just leaves the pupil more vulnerable to damage.

Tracie

a couple of things i would like to add. IMO they do need UV as to how long they need to be outside depends on your locality temp and UV index for that day. 30min in the sun down here (vic the cold end :) ) does not equal 30min in the sun in QLD. but the more you can get them outside the better. also remember to have a spot where they can get out of the heat when out side...(had a bad experiance with a ackie which resulted in death).
as for the compact fluros i steer clear of them due to the price and how long they last before either dieing or falling out or the socket and leaving the metal peice inside the lamp holder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back