Using tree branches in your python enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to sulk now... I have nothing more to say (I guess more than a few members will be relieved!)

J.

i 'double black bag' mine and leave it in the sun, no i'm not concerned about the snake picking up nasties, i'm more worried about ants and spiders invading my house..... nasty little crawlies they are,

Not to upset Jamie again (sorry mate), I go off the branches onto bamboo. :D

I use bamboo extensively but in humid conditions, it grows black mold like soot. Interestingly, the yellow GTPs don't get dirty when crawling over it, nor would they avoid contact with it. However, when it starts looking bad I replace it.
I sprayed the bamboo with F10, which suppose to kill fungal spores but it made no difference, the mold came back again.

.... your turn Jamie

You do use citronella to kill the pandas like I do... Don't you?

As for mould... It's the environment... You can treat your bamboo with a natural oil like linseed (to be honest I am not sure if it will work or not) mixed with 50/50 turpentine. So long the spores have no porous material to adhere to, then you could actually guard against them.

Or lower humidity....

Black Soot Spores - Just happen!

As for mould... It's the environment... You can treat your bamboo with a natural oil like linseed (to be honest I am not sure if it will work or not) mixed with 50/50 turpentine.

Wow! I am sure juvenile GTPs would just love to crawl over bamboo smeared with linseed oil and turps. I wana grow them, not kill them. LOL

Wow! I am sure juvenile GTPs would just love to crawl over bamboo smeared with linseed oil and turps. I wana grow them, not kill them. LOL

When dried... yes... dried... there is no residue. I have used it to treat hard wood (oak) on all my enclosures. None of my snakes are dead and none of my enclosures are mouldy... :)

Alright. I am just happy to replace it when it looks moldy. The neighbor is always happy to see me cutting his overgrown crop.

mite and mite eggs can lay dormant in logs and things of the sort, i once had a mite infestation from a log i had just thrown in with my skinks.

mite and mite eggs can lay dormant in logs and things of the sort, i once had a mite infestation from a log i had just thrown in with my skinks.

Was it African Snake Mite? I very much doubt it. Unless the log had been in contact with an infested snake. You may attribute the mite outbreak to the log, but if it was Snake Mite it came from a source much closer to home - a reptile, person or equipment used with an infested animal - could even be a bag previously used for a reptile.

perhaps it was a coincidence but, better safe than sorry. seems a bit dumb to trust the bush with our expensive animals.

So, the skinks ended up with the mites? In that case they were probably other, native species of mites. It the fists instance, we were talking about snake mites and snakes, not lizards. Bit confusing.

I only bother to bleach/soak/bake/scrub branches that i intend to varnish for a display enclosure. the rest just go in as is. i find the ones i have bothered to treat and varnish both look better and are much easier to clean, i dont like the way faeces and uric acid stain the unvarnished branches, look grubby. call me vain but it makes me happy :)

Last edited:
@ waterrat. just an example of the dangers of using things directly from the bush. any publication on captive husbandry says the same thing. that everything should be treated, even if only with boiling water, is that 5 minutes not worth it?

@ waterrat. just an example of the dangers of using things directly from the bush. any publication on captive husbandry says the same thing. that everything should be treated, even if only with boiling water, is that 5 minutes not worth it?

I don't argue against it. If a log / branch / rock I pick up in the bush looks sus, i.e. has holes in it, dirt, mud, etc., I treat it too but I don't think it's always necessary to do it as a precaution.

thankyou. natural branches beat anything on the commercial market as far as cage furniture goes and they are free! now that we have agreed on the ups and downs, i'd like to see some set ups!!!

i'd like to see some set ups!!!

71007-a.jpg

I think the biggest worry with picking up logs is termites, don't want those buggers in your house

just peel the bark off and pour the kettle over the branches its easy simple and gives you peace of mind

I think the biggest worry with picking up logs is termites, don't want those buggers in your house

Mate, termites are social insects ("eusocial" to be exact) and a few of them brought home would do no harm because they would soon die without their queen, other casts and their dark tunnels. But I agree, there is no need for them in a reptile enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back