Using tree branches in your python enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh, this is different. Driftwood collected on the beaches is saturated with salt and needs to be thoroughly washed / soaked in freshwater. Salt can do horrible things to snake scales and skin. For the same reason one should never use beach sand for substrate in a reptile enclosure.

In the past ive only ever given them a good hose down to remove any mangrove mud that may be on them and to also remove any sand and never had a problem.

i use a tree called a Golden Spray, its a native and looks like a sheoke and similar to the expensive reptile vines you can buy from petshops, over time they do flake and break down especially when you up the humidity but i have got 4 years out of the first one and have just lopped some more branches for some more cages.

I am in the process of building my next three enclosures. I have just gotten a few awesome native branches for use in python and beardie enclosures. I wouldnt have the resources needed to soak such large pieces in bleach/water mix, so I think I will just pour hot water from a jug and my massive soup pot... or open to any other suggestions.. what about using a steam machine? would that work?

Please keep in mind that is actually illegal to remove anything from the bush without a permit . lf everyone did there would be nothing left . A way around this is to go to new estates or new roads , they bulldoze lots of trees , hollow logs and bush rock , and you can take this without upsetting anyone as it will all be dumped anyway . l only treat old hollow logs , with a hot bath , l like to use freshly cut branches . Just look for a fork or something interesting , that is the right thickness . These can go in untreated .

That's news to me jungletrans, I think such restrictions only apply to NPs, reserves, etc.. You can collect branches on any private property or public land as long as you're sensible and not causing environmental damage. The same applies for driftwood.

I have a friend with 150 acres I just go and pick-out aged dead fall. I get branches that are not rotten, with no insect infestation and the bark missing or falling off. They have been exposed to the sun usually for several months so I just cut them to size and put them in the enclosure.
Why over complicate things.

Cheers Octane

That's news to me jungletrans, I think such restrictions only apply to NPs, reserves, etc.. You can collect branches on any private property or public land as long as you're sensible and not causing environmental damage. The same applies for driftwood.
jungletrans is right , in vic u need a permit even on public land but private land u can go for ya life .

ln VIC private land is fine as long as you don't cut down a tree , although most people just go ahead and clear their land , if they get caught it is only a small fine . Unless you park illegally then it will cost you a fortune .

Thanks M & Zoo, LOL you guys are the greatest!!! Makes me feel so much better after a hard day in the office and a wife that whips me to near death each night and kids that don't appreciate my 14Hr work days to pay for their Wii's and PS 3's and Foxtel etc and snakes that bite me when I try to kiss them after feeding the rats...;):lol:
I love APS friends...

Scott, sorry it's taken 12 days to comment on your post, I have only just stopped crying. You POOR POOR guy, and you are whinging about working 14 hour days. Something wrong with the younger generation these days.
If you send me your postal address I'll post you a few boxes of tissues................

Are you that exhausted from your so call 14 hour days that you confuse your wife with the rats and kiss the wrong one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In sunny Qld we have a power rate increase starting Thursday, about 15%....................

You should see the snakes in the wild...they have ppl following them thru the bush disinfecting everywhere they go....PFFT !!

Never disinfected any, I change them monthly and never had a prob in 11 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back