Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pardon my ignorance but where was "hots" derived from ???

to hot to handle ???

cheers, jono

I keep 3 Western Taipans, 2 Eastern Tigers, 1 spotted Black and 2 Lancasteri Adders. Recently got rid of a few Common Adders, Red Belly Blacks, Spotted Blacks, and Mulgas.

Im very keen on Eastern, Western and Speckled Browns, MORE Western Taipans, Black Tigers and i should be getting some Colletts very soon.

sxereturn will be very capable of keeping almost whatever he wants when he gets his licence, he has been putting in alot of time helping to maintain a mutual mates collection. I really dont know if any of us are capable of keeping some venomouse snakes all that safely, but we do anyway :) eg, 6-7ft angy browns... just about the most scary snakes alive!!!! and im sure big angry coastal taipans are just as bad!

I think it is good that he is doing the getting experience before hand. I think it would be a good trend for others to follow, but having said that we didn't know that at the time I made my comment and as I later stated I was only offering some friendly advise. I know him and he is a good kid just didn't want him to ever get hurt that's all. Read into or out of it what you will

Hots is better than poisonous
With all due respect to our overseas members the term 'hots' is an American reference to venemous snakes, surely we don't have to copy everything the yanks come up with?? 'venemous' is the way we describe our elapids I can't see why it can't stay that way.
Regards,
Chris Wienholt

Yep, can't stand the term "hots". We should start calling them Death Snakes.

Just curious. What is the go with keeping venomous snakes on a personal level. Sure you can get experience with handling etc etc but they will never be a pet. Unless contributing to a milking program for anti venom or undertaking educational display's what is the purpose in keeping a tiger snake or a mulga etc. I am not attempting to get anyone upset here but i just don't see the benefit so please enlighten me. Different strokes for different folks maybe.

I won't be keeping them because they are venomous. I have a few "pet" snakes which are super tame. I only handle most of my collection when I have to, so that's not a big deal to me. Have a look in my photo gallery, look at the colours of that Death Adder or King Brown...that's the reason.

I would keep them for their colours and pattening, Once you get a sizeable collection of pythons I find you dont handle them all that much anyway.

I keep venomous snakes not because they are 'pets" but because it is a hobby. It is about trying to acheive and learn things about them that others havent. It is about talking, visiting, and swaping progeny with other hobbiests and perhaps learning more about the species or the whole elapid group as a whole.
Other reasons people might enjoy elapids instead of pythons are that they generally are much more active and are very interesting to watch in an enclosure. Pythons you almost have to get them out and handle them just to make them move most of the time. Pythons are much more widly kept and bred than elapids and some people like the challange of keeping and breeding a species that not many people have bred before. being a bit of a pioneer. The python gene pool is small, most of our pythons are very closely related and behave/ look and breed in the same way. There is much more variation in australian elapids and much more to be discovered by the interested hobbiest. Really at the end of the day, to sucsessfully keep and breed an australian python, get a good book and read it, and you cant fail.... you wont find the same kind of help with elapids. Its more about your knowledge, skill and learning from mistakes.

People that want pets, should not keep elapids, in my opinion. It is about being interested, keen to learn and love the thrill of being involved in a close nit society of people with the same goals and interestes.

craig

Quote:

Hots is better than poisonous

With all due respect to our overseas members the term 'hots' is an American reference to venemous snakes, surely we don't have to copy everything the yanks come up with?? 'venemous' is the way we describe our elapids I can't see why it can't stay that way.
Regards,
Chris Wienholt

So you'd prefer people to refer to them as poisonous rather than hots purely because hots is an american slang term? I'd have thought the fact that poisonous refers to something that can kill you if you eat it was also bad?

Craig that post i think sums it up with elapids. Is the reason that there is not much info around because it's not getting put on paper, only passed on through the small keepers groups verbally or by email, or is it just difficult to find. Elapids have such a variety of colour morphs ( take the gwarder for instance where there has been 7 different colour morphs in one clutch ) and there is alot to learn I agree. Thanks

if youve ever seen a death adder strike youll know why i want one.

talking to some people who have had close shaves with adders i found out they are fast enough to bite u the moment after u drop them. now thats fast

cheers, jono

So you'd prefer people to refer to them as poisonous rather than hots purely because hots is an american slang term? I'd have thought the fact that poisonous refers to something that can kill you if you eat it was also bad?
Magpie,
re read my post,I mention nothing of our elapids being 'poisionous'
the word I use is VENEMOUS, which is a universally accepted way to describe an elapid snake.

i must say before i joined this site i had never heard the term hots. i have always just called them vens, elapids or just venemous snakes. also a little off topic i finally posted some pics in the photo gally.

Cheers rick

i think its better on a snake site like this it is better to make the terms and words shorter like BHP or BTS. i think we shoud think of a term for venomous snakes. i think either vens or hots

check out the site kevyn suggsted. there is a picture of the wierdest snake. its a rhino viper on 2 hooks

I think that on a site like this we have a responsibility to encourage the use of the proper terms so that slang doesn't become the "norm" in the hobby.

I apologyze to people who don't like to use world Hots. I am naughty and I like hots . It is easy to type and short. Now I am in trouble . Afro forgive me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back