Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont like "Hots" remonds me of those unwanted emails I used to get when I opened my first account. They all referred to "Hotties"( I was curious, so shoot me).
Or is that what the Poms call hot water bottles.
Hots is so machismo.
You can always call them "vens". Thats easy to type and you vont convuse it vith over vords.
Though I kind of like Sxereturn's idea but perhaps we could build on that.
Peter

Why not just call them elapids. I think if you are going to call them a name like 'hots' or something that sounds scary for when you are talking to non-herp mayes you are just trying to show off to your mates and be a cowboy etc.. Which is the totally wrong reasons for keeping them. The venemous snakes kept in Australia by private collectors are pretty much all ELAPIDS, so why call them anything different?

I think if you are going to call them a name like 'hots' or something that sounds scary for when you are talking to non-herp mayes you are just trying to show off to your mates and be a cowboy etc.. Which is the totally wrong reasons for keeping them.

No, 'hot' is a accepted term here, and has nothing to do with showing off to anyone.

I personaly think Elapids is the best term, and you will find that most poeple that keep any number of them mostly refer to them as Elapids. But you must remember that not all elapids are dangerous to humans... so yes they can be refered to as venomous, but not dangerous in all situations. Poisonous can not be used for snakes as has already been mentioned. Poison is a small moleculed substance that can act on the body through absorbtion, ingestion and sometimes respiration and are made of chemicals. Venoms have larger molecules are are made up of proteins. Venom can not act through absorbtion and ingestion.

Just my thoughts, we need more elapid keepers and breeders!!!!!!!! The really can be very interesting and challenging. The risk of getting bitten simply depends on how much effort you are willing to put into not getting bitten. so its not an excuse in my opinion.

Craig

I saw an episode of the barefoot bushman where they were catching wild inland taipans. Anyhow when he and his mate picked one up venom went all over the dudes thigh and they washed it off reasonable quickly saying that if they didn't it was be absorbed through the skin and he would become envenomated.

womas4me said:
I saw an episode of the barefoot bushman where they were catching wild inland taipans. Anyhow when he and his mate picked one up venom went all over the dudes thigh and they washed it off reasonable quickly saying that if they didn't it was be absorbed through the skin and he would become envenomated.

Interesting. I'd have thought that it would be in case there were any scraches or lesions but perhaps someone could pm David Williams.
Peter

Washing it off just sounds like commonsense. Imagine if you accidentally rubbed it in your eyes because you hadn't washed it off.
I don't like the term 'hots' simply because it is an American term. Maybe it refers to the burning sensation from being bitten?
Does that make pythons "coldies"?
Sorry but it just sounds stupid.

Magpie,
re read my post,I mention nothing of our elapids being 'poisionous'
the word I use is VENEMOUS, which is a universally accepted way to describe an elapid snake.

Hey, that's cool splitmore, you obviously just quoted my post for the hell of it. I stand by what I said, better hots than poisonous.

Magpie said:
Quote:

Hots is better than poisonous

I'd have thought the fact that poisonous refers to something that can kill you if you eat it was also bad?

hey magpie, does that mean that if you are trying to eat it when it is still alive and it bites you it ceases to be venomous and becomes poisonous

cheers
matt :)

yeah, he definately is...i saw an episode where he was bitten by a black whip snake and he then started to 'suck' the venom out.

lol stockeh. I'm going to not sleep now trying to work that out. lol.

bredli is a darling.

when you keep red bellies or colletts or some other kind of elapid. Are there particular ones that are easier? and can be handled ocassionally? I keep seeing red bellies mentioned.
Are they too fast for a slow person? lol (me)

and, be honest who 'loves the glove' when it comes to elapids?

Mudmum :wink:

If you wear gloves when handling elapids, you shouldn't be handling elapids.

No Elapid should be handled like a python. They are not a "pet" like a python can be.

earthmother, you keep hearing about red bellies and colletts being easy for a couple of reasons. Firslty they are easy to maintain, nothing special to look after them. Secondly they have a reputation for being very placid, NOT always the case, however most are so quiet its scary. And lastly both snakes are considered the least dangerous of our "potentialy fatal" elapids. I belive the Colletts snake has been underestimated in the past, and is much more dangerous than commonly thought. I would definitly consider a bite from a reasonable size colletts to be life threatening.

As far as the other posts go with someone washing venom off, I would say its incase there was scratches or cuts that the venom could enter the sytem via.. remembering the unbelivably small about of venom required by an inland taipan to cause trouble, I have no doubt a small scratch or graze could do it, and as someone said, rubbing eyes etc. Venom can not for all intesive purposes be absorbed through healthy intact skin.
Also studies in the USA have proven sucking a bite and using most "venom extractors" (as talked about in the USA) to be completely useless in controling the effects of snake bite, and infact the suction created can cause other cappillaries and possably veins to rupture and allow the venom a faster route into your system. The practice of sucking venom out has been discouraged so long ago its not funny, I hope you seen it on an old video, or the guy is a tosser!

No Elapid should be handled like a python. They are not a "pet" like a python can be.
Uh oh!!
Anyone want to buy a tiger snake? Apparently I shouldn't have it.
Sorry Sxereturn but I always wear gloves when dealing with my Tiger snake and I don't treat him like a python.He has never bitten or struck at me but it only takes one time.
Tiger snakes are the fourth most venemous snake in the world and I never want to find out what that feels like.Chances are you will survive a tiger bite these days but you are virtually guaranteed kidney failure.
I would rather wear gloves for a litttle piece of mind and have 17yr olds make fun of me than end up on a kidney donor list.

I DO! I really, really, really really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really,reallyI really, really, really really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really,reallyI really, really, really really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really,reallyI really, really, really really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really,reallyI really, really, really really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really,reallyI really, really, really really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really,really want to buy your Tiger Snake. :D :D :D :D :D Ya I know I can't. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Greebo said:

Uh oh!!
Sorry Sxereturn but I always wear gloves when dealing with my Tiger snake and I don't treat him like a python.He has never bitten or struck at me but it only takes one time.
Tiger snakes are the fourth most venemous snake in the world and I never want to find out what that feels like.Chances are you will survive a tiger bite these days but you are virtually guaranteed kidney failure.
I would rather wear gloves for a litttle piece of mind and have 17yr olds make fun of me than end up on a kidney donor list.

The way I see it, is that if you're wearing gloves, you don't feel 110% confident in handling them. And if you don't feel 110% confident, you shouldn't be handling them...

Just my opinion, do what you want.

Gloves????? What sort of gloves? White cotton mickey mouse ones?
Excuse my ignorance but I dont follow but okay, How much are you selling for. Ive got some other things coming from down your way so maybe you could piggyback the frieght.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back