VHS Melbourne Reptile Expo 2011.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been to all the melbourne expo's, long day as i like a chat, and a good look or three at everything, the hardest thing is trying to avoid all you APS nutters, who put stickers on hats or wear funny ribbons to identify each other, whats it gunna be this year,
snake earings or bells on the shoes

i have been to all the melbourne expo's, long day as i like a chat, and a good look or three at everything, the hardest thing is trying to avoid all you APS nutters, who put stickers on hats or wear funny ribbons to identify each other, whats it gunna be this year,
snake earings or bells on the shoes

I'll be wearing the tight short shorts lol

At this point ourselves; Black Snake Productions and matt Stockdale from Vic reptiles (I think he will be doing it) are the only ones permitted by DSE to display elapids. No other Elapids are allowed on the property due to safety and licensing regulations. But we will have a good range of snakes on display with a couple that are rare in captivity.

So IF I was to attend I would not be permitted to use my venomous snakes, even though it is part of my business, we have a perfect safety record, no complaints and NO escapes? So why would I want to set up a stand at the expo? The venomous snakes that I have a major part of my business.....is it the DSE or is it the VHS? It wont be the DSE as they are not permitted to place such competitive restrictions on us, we are licensed demonstrators too and they cannot favor one business over another! So if its the VHS is this due to the fact the the VHS support both you and Matt with the lost reptiles home?

Look out 4 the private breederz 4 a good price,as there will b a fair few shops there looking 2 make a quick mill.l was at the 09 expo & all l saw was ppl lining up at the shop tables that had heaps more 2 offer.My nephew couldnt even get a bluey at the prices there,a 10 year old kid has 2 save pocket money 4 a year inorder 2 get a pet lizard let alone a snake what a joke.

Snakehandler: It actually is the DSE that has an issue with venomous animals! I'm sure the expo would survive without your attendance.

I am sure it would too, despite the fact that I was the sole demonstrator supporting the original event at Camberwell with NO thanks from the VHS......this is not the point, there is more than two (for that matter if you include me more than 3) demonstrators in Victoria with permits to show venomous snakes, to exclude all others would not be fair, reasonable and would be against the whole idea of the expo, to show what people have to offer.......or is the expo to become a mates event where only certain groups are permitted to be there.....DSE dont have an issue with venomous snakes, they have an issue with the way in which they are displayed by some people! I have not committed to the event due to a number of other events that are booked for the day (please note I did ask that the expo be put on later in the year when more demonstrators are available), but if I cannot display my venomous snakes then why would I be there at all?

Last edited:
Maybe they offered their services at no cost? Seeing that the VHS is a non profit organisation after all.

We have done it for free in the past....again no thanks or acknowledgment from the VHS

Its simple....its called showing appreciation for what a person does, its called common courtesy.....and if you understand the concept of a business then you know that it was NOT FREE ADVERTISING it did cost money due to not taking bookings for that day, having staff and equipment used at the event, when a person does something for you at no cost, this is generally termed as "sponsorship" of a kind, this requires a simple response, but obviously Carpetpythons you dont agree......I have just been informed by DSE that it IS the VHS who nominated just one business to operate on the day with venomous snakes, it just happens to be the ONE that is operated by a Committee member of the VHS, no other business including Matt Stockdale is permitted to show venomous snakes on the day, and no other business can apply to be part of it.....even if they were doing it for free, no other company is permitted to use venomous snakes......

Did you ask them while you were on the phone, if there was a reason from their side to only have one person do a venomous display? Did you also ask them how they felt about a venomous display at a public event?

I think your perception of how sponsorship works is slightly warped. If you were not allowed to hand out marketing marterial for your company then I would understand your unhappiness? Is this indeed the case? I would have charged you for the day, as you would get exposure for your business. There is no thanks involved when your business is promoted at an expo. You should be thanking them.

You should really not help out with expos if you are going to complain about a thank you from the organisers afterwards. You should be thanking them for getting your companies name out there.

We will have a display at the expo, we are paying big dollars to be there! We also don't expect a thanks from them as they are putting the expo together so our company can benefit from it.

Given I do venomous displays at public events every weekend there is no issue, it is the permit given to the VHS for the expo, they have been asked to nominate ONE company to do a venomous display, it just so happens to be the ONE that is owned by a committee member, it was not offered to any other group....I agreed with the VHS to do the event for free for some recognition in the Monitor Magazine that existed at the time, this did not eventuate and even at the following VHS meeting it was not acknowledged, so before you shoot your mouth off know the details.

Donate 10 of your pythons, give them away anonymously, get no acknowledgment for your efforts and then you can comment....my assistance was sought out, I agreed to terms, they where not met, that is the complaint from then, you may be paying big dollars for your stall, but you will make big dollars from your stall, so why should you be thanked for your attendance. I received no payment from the event, yes I did get some bookings as a result of the event, but no more than had I done an event elsewhere, getting paid to be there.

When a group seeks your assistance, gets it for free, agrees to terms and then defaults, you have a right to be a little pissy about it don't you! I was willing to pay to be at the expo next year too, but when I am not permitted to display my product just as others within my sector of the industry then why should I, if you were not permitted to bring your pythons would you come?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back