VHS Melbourne Reptile Expo 2011.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He has also supported the VHS as a committee member over the last few years in his own free time? I think you should get the facts straight before you make allegations about the VHS without knowing the facts. I will not continue this discussion as it would lead to an infraction.

Black snake set up wonderful displays, some of the best that I have seen, I am not saying anything about the quality of his work, just that the VHS have been limited by permits to only one demonstrator with venomous snakes, there are 40 licensed demonstrators in Victoria, it seems very convenient that the one that the VHS use is also the one that has a rep on the committee.....if it is truly a expo of reptiles and to be reasonable to others within the industry, instead of having one demonstrator do it for multiple years, contact some of the others who may wish to display venomous snakes......again I ask you to anonymously donate 10 of your pythons to the VHS auction, no credit given to you at all......step up and show your true colours....or is it all about profit

So your day was worth $10000? You should know by know that its all about profit for us breeders!:rolleyes:;)

so your pythons are worth $1000 each.......I doubt it....I am sure you know the actual cost of your pythons!......make an anonomyous donation to the VHS for what you think we would charge....I would like to see that!

Interesting read
but looking forward to it regardless of who is there

Thanks for that Sean; we put a lot off effort into them so I do appreciate that comment :)

It’s pretty simple really, I put in what is 2/3 days of my time, pay staff to work at the event and other events, sometimes I hire a truck, and get any extra equipment if I need it and all in all I spend a hell of a lot of money and time to get sponsorship for advertising directed at people who keep reptiles for my services. The problem with that is people who keep reptiles are more likely to herp in Antarctica than to hire me to see animals they have or come into contact with.

Then why do I do it? I get some thanks from people and the VHS (and I don’t need to be told “thank you” to know that I am), but mostly I do it because people gave their time and supported me when I was younger to help me learn as much as could about these animals. I want to give something back to this industry/hobby and to be honest the VHS (Brian, Phil, Pete, Kevin and Andrew) work a hell of a lot harder than I do to do the same thing. Without them the reptile hobby and industry in Vic would be half of what it is. If anyone else wanted to or wants to in the future take my place spending over $1000 to do an elapid and reptile display for free then the VHS will be happy to look at them as well. The VHS is not going to go chasing people around asking for free displays and getting no after no when I was happy to stick my hand up again.

It’s easy for people to winge and complain about the VHS and the expo but it’s easier for people to forget that the VHS is run by volunteers who don’t get many thank you’s and do it all in-between jobs, family and what little of their lives they have to spare. I would never ask for a thanks though as I don’t think I have contributed enough over the last few years to deserve one but there are a couple of people who should be greatly thanked by every single Vic herper, especially those who run a reptile related business off of it.

Anyway that’s my say for the day, hopefully I have made it clear that the VHS only ever has good intentions and I think it’s clear I’m not gaining a profit from this so I don’t see where the problem lies.

Im really looking forward to the day though and hope to see you all there. Should be a cracker

Regards, Mike

(aka tall funny looking fella)

Yes, it would be nice if the p*ssing contest can be put away now. Just good to see an expo on again.

Well unless someone know's of a better one wally it may be The Quiet Man. Never heard of it but if the beer is cold i will be there lol.

Quick question Mike are you going to personally do some shows for us?

Thanks for that Mike. People tend to forget their past when they are up there on their pedestal. Very well said.

I suppose it would be different if the people within the VHS actually did give me the same as Mike received, but alas they didn't, I took a different path, I grew up in an area where there was no reptile group and knowledge came from people around you, teachers, parents, friends and family, and found my way to where I am today without their assistance....not grudges just fact. I had different teachers and show them the gratitude for what they taught me by sharing the knowledge and the experience they gave me.

People within the reptile community are not the only ones that can share knowledge or have knowledge about reptiles...in fact many people have have a great deal of knowledge stay away from reptile groups for various personal reasons, many of the people I know today and continue to learn from distance themselves from groups and clubs to stay away from the politics of reptiles and concentrate on the gaining of knowledge.

This event is a great way to get people into the keeping of reptiles, I would just like to see other groups get given the same opportunity to display their venomous snakes if they wish, the VHS should have approached other companies/called for letters of interest and then selected the company, not just given it to one of the committee members....as Mike said he gives up 2-3 days of work, wages, and costs him over $1000, so why not attempt to share the burden of such costs around the people who make a living from the display of these animals......especially when there is NO financial gain from it for Mike!

I have just become aware that the reptile expo falls on the same day as the big Melbourne pet and animal expo at Caulfield race course, what do people think about 2 big events falling on the same day? Good or bad??

think it might be a stretch for both expos to be one at once ....... but the other expo isn't that crash hot so might be a good idea

IMO let both expo's feed off each other ie: encourage interstaters to come see both may b e worth consideringextending the hours of which the reptile expo is actually on maybe an all day and evenning event. cross trade with both

I can see it being a problem for paying vendors that go to both.Roy Pails is one i can think of off the top of my head but i am sure there is others

Maybe Snakehandler could go there so he doesnt feel so left out!

Been there done that, its one that I would only go to if I was paid to go, whereas I would have paid to display my vens at the reptile expo!.......I dont think the Pet expo will impact on the reptile expo as it is a totally different crowd........Roy may be affected, however going on what we had discussed when I attended it, he would do much better at the Reptile expo!

The pet expo is not as good as it used to be, we have been employed there for the last three (2 or 3) and it didn't seem to have the same impact last time as the ones before.
They will be missing mad about pets, us, Roy and one or two more as well as maybe 50 to 100 people who would come to the reptile expo over the pet expo.

Agreed Mike.
I have been to the Pet Expo at Caulfield as a visitor & exhibitor for many years.
I don't think it is very strong. Seemed larger crowds in earlier days and yes, a very different crowd to what can be expected at the VHS expo. I know where I shall be...... with pockets full of money! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back