Vote yes or no $ should u feed pythons while there shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you feed if your snake is in a shed?

• Yes

Votes: 99 63.5%
  • No

Votes: 57 36.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fed a sub adult Diamond a nice sized rat a while back and didn't realize she was up for a shed until she already had the rat in her mouth (if i had've known i probably wouldn't have bothered feeding her). I checked on her a few hours later and she was in the process of shedding, the skin peeled back over itself (like those latex things the Pope hates) and it was stuck where the large lump in her gut was. The skin was very tight (like a rubber band) and i doubt she would have been able to get it past the lump without my help, whether this would have caused her any issues i'm unsure of. I was able to help her get the skin off, but as a result of the incident i now always err on the side of caution, and don't feed when i know a snake is coming up to a slough.

I fed a sub adult Diamond a nice sized rat a while back and didn't realize she was up for a shed until she already had the rat in her mouth (if i had've known i probably wouldn't have bothered feeding her). I checked on her a few hours later and she was in the process of shedding, the skin peeled back over itself (like those latex things the Pope hates) and it was stuck where the large lump in her gut was. The skin was very tight (like a rubber band) and i doubt she would have been able to get it past the lump without my help, whether this would have caused her any issues i'm unsure of. I was able to help her get the skin off, but as a result of the incident i now always err on the side of caution, and don't feed when i know a snake is coming up to a slough.

Thanks Mr Bredli. I`ve never seen it myself but i imagined it would constrict the snakes ability to feed. If you try to strech an already shed skin it doesnt, it has lost its elasticity. So it stands to reason it must be tight on the snake...

i usually do, majority of the time they eat. if they dont then i wait a few days and offer.
if there hungry they will eat it.
i dont think there is a right or wrong answer, its all down to the preference of the keeper and the snake :D

So far the votes are 7 for NO 6 for YES
warning if u do not say a yes or no answer your vote will not be counted u my say yes or no then post a comment or post a comment and say yes or no

yes..you know im not 100% sure the the skin looses it elasticity because if you feel a fresh shed it is quite moist and stretchy. isnt that why you dont measure the skin to try and get a measurment of the snake because the skin is longer. mine never miss a feed even while shedding never had side effects, in fact i think the opposite, i feel the that the rat may loosen the skin round the face, starting the sheddin process.

Yep. I feed my snakes when they are hungry, I have had snakes take a food item and just as they get it down they start to shed no drama's.

The issue I can see with Brendan's Diamond was that maybe the particular food item may have been to big for any skin to pass.

Why didn't you ad a poll to the thread?

The rat was a decent size, probably 1.5 times the width of the snake, however the main cause of the problem i believe was the fact the skin rolled back over itself, making a very tight 'ring' that had no chance of passing over the lump. I had to cut away at the layers of the 'ring' and once i had cut down to the layer of skin that was about to come off, i was easily able to pull it over the lump.

No as if the meal is too big the skin can get stuck and you end up with a bad slough or maybe other problems because of the stuck skin.

most of mine refuse food when in the shed process.
you should have made this a poll.
cheers:)

Completely agree with Brendan, has happened to me several times, although I'll still feed anything that's hungry.

The rat was a decent size, probably 1.5 times the width of the snake, however the main cause of the problem i believe was the fact the skin rolled back over itself, making a very tight 'ring' that had no chance of passing over the lump. I had to cut away at the layers of the 'ring' and once i had cut down to the layer of skin that was about to come off, i was easily able to pull it over the lump.

I got ya, I've had that happen before even when a snake hasn't got a large food item in it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back