Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another poor soul that doesnt understand snake behaviour.
The whole feed in a seperate tub thing is the biggest load of BS that keep getting perpetuated on this site by those that know no better!
+1

Drake84,
Use your bare hands to pick up your little guy, You will learn with time to read and understand the behaviour/body language of your snake.
A bite from that little fella will be barely felt.

Hey mate, just take a deep breathe and be gentle and calm. At the end of the day a bite wont kill you and if you plan on keep snakes a time will come when it is going to happen. My first snake i held was our olive python Olivia at uni and believe it or not i was soo full of excitement, getting bitten was the least of my worries. And mind you she was 9 ft!! With time you will get used to it. Lose the sock and interact with your snake bare handed. Once you get over the initial first time anxiety it wont be a problem...GL :)

ive used repti bark and aspen in my bredli's enclosure since she was a yearling and shes now 3, shes digested plenty of the substrate without a worry, she demolishes anything and everything....

ive used repti bark and aspen in my bredli's enclosure since she was a yearling and shes now 3, shes digested plenty of the substrate without a worry, she demolishes anything and everything....
Is impaction even an issue with snakes or just lizards? I'd never heard the word until I started reading more lizard related threads

Yeah sorry didn't meant to sound like a jerk. It's just a strange thing that people like to spread on here.
If it works for you then there's nothing wrong with it but just so you know you don't need to feed them in another container for those reasons

ive had her for 2 weeks.
ive fed her twice. no problems.
handling is a bit of a problem.
QUITE SNAPPY lol
i was thinking what was best for my snake with the idea of feeding her in another tub. i didnt even read it on this forum.
yeah it is a problem to get her back to her enclosure.
im just hoping in time she will calm down.

but then again it might just be because i have no experience in handling snakes.

Yeah they're vulnerable when they are full so extra cranky at that time. The advice in this thread should help in learning to handle it. What breed is it

There is no sure fact that feeding in tubs improves response to handling.
Snakes act on instinct... they see movement from a warm object (your hand) their first reaction is to bite or inspect with tongue flicking.
If you don't want a bite use a snake hook which IMO is much less stressful for the snake then been directly picked up by a creature 1000 times heavier then it is.

And this whole "I'll wait a few days to handle it so I don't stress it" is BS. If it eats and behaves fine then it's fine to handle.

I have some snakes that know whats food and what isn't and I have a few that enjoy chewing on my arm. Just depends on the snake.

Last edited:
I honestly appreciate this thread, im in tears, your (custom?) sack/glove is hilarious!

Haha! I'm glad I could be of assistance :) I spent a good 30 mins on that thing, most of that was spent trying to thread the elastic which is a lot harder than it looks or sounds :)

calm down guys..
first snake.
lessons are learnt that wont be repeated.
its just what i was told to do.

Know what you mean, sometimes when looking online people have such strong and differing opinions it's hard to sort out fact from fiction sometimes. We'll get there :)

Haha! I'm glad I could be of assistance :) I spent a good 30 mins on that thing, most of that was spent trying to thread the elastic which is a lot harder than it looks or sounds :)

Well it looks well constructed, ill give you that drake lol

so i fashioned a snake hook out of a coat hanger and picked her up from the tub.
it took a couple of goes. she was definetly trying to flee.
but all went well got her back in enclosure.
didnt show any signs of agression towards my arm lol

That's really good to hear. Hooks are fantastic no matter what other members say. Hopefully she calms down. Bredlis get big and have big heads

no after feeding i left her for 2 hours before attempting anything.
she still has a bulge but seems very calm and chilled on her branch.

This thread is quite disturbing - people buying animals they haven't got a clue about handling... the only casualties will be the snakes. learning on the job is not something you should with any animal.

Quite bizarre...

Jamie.

Howdy drake84.a bite is a bite, and better to get bitten while ur little guy is still little. how much can he eat anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back