What amnesty?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the head on your guy is a little more slender but that would indicate that it is southern in origin, wheras the one i have posted is northen.

i was trying to show yo the paterning on him but it doesnt really come out in this pic

Peter,
Your snake photo is a adult rat snake, probably a corn from the photo, but it's not too clear.
Definately not a kingsnake though.

here is a pic of a rat snake the head looks a little to skinny to be one of these guys

a closer look ... (no more comments about the hairy arms ok... i know i know already :))

Hi Stockeh,
You snake photo does look like he has a big head, but I guarantee you that the snake in Peters photo is a rat snake, probably Elaphe g.guttata.
I have been keeping snakes for 20 years, 19 of them in the UK and have seen alot of both Kingsnakes and Rat snakes.
Do a search for albino rat snake or corn, you will see what I mean.

Neil

im not questioning you matey if there is anyone that posts on this site that i listen to it is you.... just looked a lot like a kingy thats all :)

Thanks Stockeh, That's quite a compliment!
Looking at your new Pictures Peter, I am thinking that it is a snow corn now or another type of Rat snake, I will do some research on it for you.
Peter, what are the markings like on it?, it's difficult to see.

neil's right, its a corn, u can tell from the markings in the clearer pics

The markings in the pics are easier to see than on the snake itself. Its about 1.5m
Peter

peterescue said:
scale count is 25 in the middle
divided cloaca
non venemous
no pits but holds on like a python.

Definitely not a Kingsnake, as they all have single anal scales.
The Corn and Rats have divided anals. According to my book, the Corn has 27-29 rows, but the Rats have 25-35, depending on the species. All the Rats appear to have very faintly keeled scales. In the Corn, the ventrals are "flat in the middle, with ends angled up sharply. Scales smooth or weakly keeled."

Wish there was an American equivalent of Cogger's, with dichotomous keys.

Hix

[quote="the ventrals are "flat in the middle, with ends angled up sharply. Scales smooth or weakly keeled."
Hix[/quote]

and that clinches it I think.
A snow it is I think.
Peter

Your old time herp friends didn't know this was a corn snake?
It looks identical to the one that I had once upon a time.
(ps.I only have legal snakes now.NPWS have checked my collection twice.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back