What are the reptile laws in your country?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling the same goes for Qld feeding live that is.It is illegal as far as i know.I think it is frowned upon by ppl who think it is cruel.This is nature at work.You don't see a lion for instance saying to a deer,"Do you mind if I chuck you in the freezer before i eat you so it doesn't hurt and that way ppl think i am not cruel".I can not see the harm in in a animal being fed in it's natural way.Apart from the obvious risk of disease's etc.

If it is illegal to feed a live mouse to a snake is it legal to flick the mouse against a hard surface to smash it's skull in?

It is illegal throughout all of Australia.
All animals must be euthanised humanely.Whether native or exotic and whether culling or to be used for food.However I dont think this rule would apply to such things as mosquito larvae,feeder guppies etc.Perhaps it is just in reference to mammals?

feeder guppies (any small fish for that matter eg: goldfish), crickets etc dont not apply under this law. As Mystic_Herps said, it applies to any mammal. No, flicking mice and crushing their skulls isn't considered humane.

And Robert, they say it is inhumane because the mouse doesn't have a chance to run away etc. it is inevitable that it will be eaten where as in the wild they have a chance (although very slim) of escaping. This isn't my excuse, this is what CALM (Conservation and Land Management) say.

Amy

That's really strange that it's illegal to feed live. I personally don't feed live for various reasons, but with a picky feeder or when a snake goes off its feed (usually ball pythons) live is a quick way to get a snake feeding again. It's perfectly legal here. As an outsider it looks as though your country is more aware of it's animals. Things are alot different here.

Thats pretty darn stingy...Most of the snakes out there are venomus...If the mouse gets bitten and runs away....It kinda still gets eaten..

Kevyn: Australia does have really strict laws but as long as you stay within these, then herping is really quite unrestricted (from what I know here in sheltered WA anyways)

Belle: I agree, it is my opinion that if a herper wishes to feed live, they should be allowed, I have many reasons why I wont personally

I just watched a doco on feeding Elapids.
They were using frozen/thawed rats and would wiggle the item on tongs infront of the snake.After it had striked they would retreat the rat (about a foot away) and continue wriggling it to simulate the item dying before leaving it for the snake to consume.

I'm not sure what 'stingy' means. I hope you didn't take my post as a criticism. What I meant was that your country seems more concerned with animal welfare than we are here. I get really angery here. Where I live people often won't pick up the fruit off the trees in their yards and this ofcourse attracks bears. So those same people that were too lazy to pick the fruit that lured the hungry bear, are kind enough to shoot it. I'm also not sure if you meant that most snakes here are venomous? Most here in Canada are not. We have 2 species of rattlesnake and that's it. Both species are endangered here (northern pacific and the massauga). I'm also not sure how a mouse being bitten and running away would be possible with a captive snake. I've probably totally misunderstood your post so please forgive me. It's past my bed time. :wink:

Stingy= Pretty crappy

I meant most snakes over hear are venomous...but not all.

gotcha! That's what I thought you meant but as I said its past my bed time. Nice boa by the way. Where was the picture taken? It looks huge. To reiderate, I think you guys do alot of right things when it comes to your wildlife. There's this big debate happening in the city I live in regarding banning the ownership of reptiles. I've been screaming for some form of licencing system for years now. I think that's the way to go.

Yeah i agree Kevyn..... It was taken at the Australian reptile Park. I helped out at a demonstration on my 13th birthday.

G'day Kevyn, Have there always been so few species of snake in Canada or are some extinct? I imagine it is too harsh a climate for many species to exist?

Go Queensland laws,I have to say Nt and Queensland rule,.. Reptiles are living in our backyard

Oh sorry I have to say that the prices here in Qld of reptiles are the lowest I've seen in Australia.....That's what it should be....

The only species I know of for sure that has gone extinct here in Canada (besides dinosours ofcourse) is the timber rattlesnake. The climate in most of Canada isn't too too harsh but we can have so nasty winters. We have a fair number of colubrid species and a couple species of lizards but nothing huge. In terms of biodiversity we're pretty low on the list. We have quite a varierty of birds and birds of prey. There are quite a few mamalian species here (bears, wolves, mountain goats, moose, deer, otters, seals, foxes, cougars, lynx, big horny or big horn rather sheep) just to name a few. Most of the snakes where I live are endangered however. Our endangered snakes are the common racer, the pacific gopher snake, the rubber boa, and the northern pacific rattlesnake. That's just in the area where I live. People here a very ignorant when it comes to reptiles and really to most animals. Most people here would just assume kill a snake here, so the need for public awareness is every great.

Bit envious about all the species of large mammals you got in Canada, here we just have Kangaroos (plus the introduced horses, buffalo, camels etc. And I almost ran over a wild donkey on night). But we do have very large lizards who will visit your campsite and share your tucker

http://150.101.58.70/thumbnails.php?id=Goanna_Lace_Monitor_Goanna&num=10

(Mental note : Never, Ever feed a wild goanna again!)

And parrots, lots of parrots. Almost every places in Oz has five or six species of parrots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back