What is a cape york carpet python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• nooshi2.jpg
    nooshi2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 67
  • nooshi1.jpg
    nooshi1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 66
Cape York is not a big place, but has a varied range of Carpets. Jungles on the South East corner, Coastal's below and above the Jungles range, Top Ends on the Western side, Cape Yorks up the middle and Wenlocks at the northern end of the Cape York's range. And just for some confusion, they intergrade between their ranges. One day the Cape Yorks and Wenlocks will probably be divided into separate sub species of spilotas

Norm, very nice and typical colouration of Cape Yorks. Very similar to mine which I am hoping to breed this season

Some people have their Cape Yorks and Wenlocks on their books as Coastals, some as Jungles. Doesn't really matter till they are recognised with new scientific names

I read a few weeks ago that cape York carpets could possibly be intergrades of coastals, jungles, and Darwins. Some look more jungle and are labelled as cape York jungles. Some look more like coastal, some Darwins, some a mix of two, and some a mix of all three.
Quite convincing and would account for the variety of colours and patterns.

Either way they are a spilota of some sort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back