What problems can you get breeding snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the moment, with the number around, do the hobby a favour... don't... even once...

J

@waruikazi bredli boy 4 foot tank, hes 5 foot, girl big "cat aviary" thing shes 7 foot and costal and spotted are in 2 diffrent 3 foot tanks

if your able to keep them all or at least most of them and mayb get rid of a few to your mates for free or just dirt cheap i dont see any issue in breeding them but as others have said there is a major oversupply of pythons so dont expect to get rid of them easily or at all if your do breed

Mate if you're going to do you're going to do it. Just be aware that you will more than likely have trouble moving hatchies on in the current envioronment.

If you think you know enough and have enough people wanting to buy the baby's go for it.Just work out all the costs etc beforehand.But centrals seem to be one of the less wanted pythons going around atm.

Sure, you may have issues getting rid of them. May. But if you are going to get some experience and learn a bit about your animals, as well as some new skills (like how to deal with problem feeders) then there really isn't a good reason not to do it, we all have to gain experience somehow, and they are a pretty solid species to start with. Don't expect to make money from it and if you do get a bit it will be a bonus. There is people in this thread telling you not to do it that have helped 'oversupply' common species in the past.....grain of salt....

So many people seem to think or imply that to become an accomplished keeper that you need to breed the stock you have. That just simply isn't the case. The only experience you get from breeding is... breeding!

If you want to learn how to deal with problem feeders (which i can't understand why
you would) then buy a fussy or non-feeder (it will more than likely be cheaper than breeding and feeding an entire clutch). If you want to learn more about your animals in gerneral, a good book on the biology of the species will be cheaper and tell you more than you could ever observe during breeding.

There are great reasons not to do it. The major reason being the welfare of the offspring. One reason I stopped breeding was because it was becoming difficult to rehome them.

Sure, you may have issues getting rid of them. May. But if you are going to get some experience and learn a bit about your animals, as well as some new skills (like how to deal with problem feeders) then there really isn't a good reason not to do it, we all have to gain experience somehow, and they are a pretty solid species to start with. Don't expect to make money from it and if you do get a bit it will be a bonus. There is people in this thread telling you not to do it that have helped 'oversupply' common species in the past.....grain of salt....

I've had some large female bredlis for sale and haven't had one enquiry. They are both great lookers, fat as mud and BIG, easily 30 plus eggs, but no takers. I'll end up keeping them 1) because they probably won't sell and 2) I like big snakes that absolutely smash their food.

Breed them myself? no way, not now.

Feeding them will cost you more then there worth.(Especially) in the last 12months ALOT of people are having trouble getting rid of last seasons-early this seasons hatchies..Ive seen some stunning snakes 4 sale recently and there still 4 sale,MOST wouldve sold quickly a few years ago,especially at the price there selling them...Bottom line is its YOUR choice,if you wanna end up with a heap,thats your problem,just remember 20+hatchies being fed every 7days is 80mice-rats x 6months+ is ALOT of rodents...

Yes i dont have have experince with BREEDING but i have had people say they'd buy them of me and i was thinking id sell them for about $150.... but yeah.....
$75 is probably a more realistic price these days!
Part of my first post in this thread was tongue in cheek, the other part was serious - breeding large clutches of pythons 'for fun' is not a responsible attitude in these times of oversupply. Unless you have something that people want, or that is in demand at a given time. The oversupply of particular species due to uncontrolled breeding 'just because you can' is becoming a major problem for the hobby/industry. Do the hobby a favour and forget the breeding thing...

Jamie

Does that mean you won't be breeding anything this season Jamie? I doubt it ;)
Funny how people who make a good wad each season from breeding snakes like to try and convince newbies not to breed!!

I say go for it, give em away, flood the market LOL!!

Interesting comment from you Bax155 - your insight into what I make (a good wad...???') is very cheeky of you, and quite inaccurate.

Just for your information, and to push you back into your box, I bred NOTHING this year, despite having mature pairs of GTPs (3), bredli (3), Gammon Range Carpets, and a few others...

As for your last comment 'I say go for it, give em away, flood the market LOL!!' you prove yourself to be a total goose!

Jamie

Interesting comment from you Bax155 - your insight into what I make (a good wad...???') is very cheeky of you, and quite inaccurate.

Just for your information, and to push you back into your box, I bred NOTHING this year, despite having mature pairs of GTPs (3), bredli (3), Gammon Range Carpets, and a few others...

As for your last comment 'I say go for it, give em away, flood the market LOL!!' you prove yourself to be a total goose!

Jamie

That comment was not only intended for you but others that like to try and stop people from breeding ;)
Saying you bred nothing does not mean you did not try but does it?
I find it hard to believe you would not pair up your GTP's when there was a thread a while back where someone had paid you a deposit for a GTP this season, or am I getting people mixed up??
I've been called worse LMAO!!! Name calling what a classic APS tactic when things are not quite going your way!
All the best Jamie, better luck next season with your breeding efforts!

Baxter..

hi guys, ive read all the comments on here so dont say not to. cause ive got that... i want to breed bredli's next season for my first time my only concern is if my female isnt big enough. she is 2 years old a it rounder than a 50c coin and 1 and a half meters to 2 meters long.... i want her to incubate the eggs. will she be ok to do it?

Gay snakes can be a problem, ive got a cracker woma here thats got the sex drive of a 90 year old Eunuch.

Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back