What problems can you get breeding snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys, ive read all the comments on here so dont say not to. cause ive got that... i want to breed bredli's next season for my first time my only concern is if my female isnt big enough. she is 2 years old a it rounder than a 50c coin and 1 and a half meters to 2 meters long.... i want her to incubate the eggs. will she be ok to do it?

Mate you wont be breeding Bredli next season!
Bredli are late maturing carpets and generally wont breed under 3-4 years old!
Plus you snake is way under weight for the size you have given in relation to diameter!
So no she wont be ok to attempt next year!

hi guys, ive read all the comments on here so dont say not to. cause ive got that... i want to breed bredli's next season for my first time my only concern is if my female isnt big enough. she is 2 years old a it rounder than a 50c coin and 1 and a half meters to 2 meters long.... i want her to incubate the eggs. will she be ok to do it?

Your Bredli seems abit small

How often do you feed her, as to breed she will need to be alot bigger

I dont get why people are against breeding snakes particularly easy to keep beginner species like childereni and morelia. The more people breed the lower the prices will fall, this will make reptiles more accessible and appealing to other non herp keepers. Whilst in the states recently I went to an expo and was shocked by the prices of quality animals but there were so many people buying.
This is just my opinion but i reckon you should breed your snakes but i wouldn't be expecting you will get $150 for them next season unless they are exceptional bredli.

hi guys thanks for your input... thats what i've been concerned about whether she will have the weight needed. i feed her a small to medium rat very 5 days. but she never seems to get bigger :/

hi guys thanks for your input... thats what i've been concerned about whether she will have the weight needed. i feed her a small to medium rat very 5 days. but she never seems to get bigger :/

When you feed her is there a good size bulge ?

Ah thank god - it'll be another 2 years before this one's ready to go.

Jamie

ohh ok then... but one other question im buying a hypo bredli male to go with her. can i put them in the same enclosure? they are around the same size...

ohh ok then... but one other question im buying a hypo bredli male to go with her. can i put them in the same enclosure? they are around the same size...

I wouldnt put them together, one day you will end up with a dead pet or maybe both.

It would be alright 99% of the time but its that 1% you have to worry about. Trust me I know about the 1%

I dont get why people are against breeding snakes particularly easy to keep beginner species like childereni and morelia.

in my humble oipinion the problem is that the oversupply ends up in the freezer.....just cos tom dick and harry all felt the need to breed just cos they could,..

snakey_boy, I know this may sound pedantic to you but you obviously know very little about keeping snakes, having to ask such basic questions here and you're rushing into breeding?

waterrat: yeah i know... i dont know much, thats why i joined this site to learn and get feedback from other more experienced keepers... ive read a bunch of books and surfed the web but nothing beats past experiences of others. i came on to get the opinions of others about what i want to do cause even thought ive been keeping snakes for 5 years now i still have no idea =)... please dont jump down my throat =)

so im breeding bredlis next season how do i start to do it and what are the problems that come with breeding???

Research, research, research and the major problem is heart ache when the incubation goes wrong even though you did everything right.

Joys of this great biological hobby we love. The best thing about it is there is always something new to learn.

But you wouldn't be dead for quids :)

I know I've been blunt on this thread, but my main concern is the selection of species, not the notion of a relative newbie breeding his/her reptiles. Despite the highly innaccurate comments made about me and the intent of my comments, there is no reason why a relative newbie can't succeed and gain a lot from breeding reptiles. It's the selection of bredli and the fact that they can have enormous clutches of eggs that is the problem for me. There are heaps of breeders around who have young bredli from breedings 12 months and more ago, and the increasing surplus can only be bad news for the animals in the short to medium term. I don't give a toss about the reduction in price because of oversupply, it's the welfare of the progeny which should be a major concern with some of these highly fecund python species. The 'market' just is not big enough to keep absorbing the results of poorly planned, or totally unplanned, breeding projects, with species that can produce 40+ eggs in a single clutch. And unless you are prepared to fork out very large sums of money for food, for an indefinite period of time, you end up with babies that need to be unloaded as quickly as possible, and with scant regard paid to the welfare of the babies. If you are stuck with the majority of them for any length of time, can you afford the $60-$100 per week to feed them, let alone the cost of 40-odd tubs and rack and the heating to get them going?

If you could find a species which has appeal for you, and which isn't already in huge oversupply, I'm sure that the people here who have appeared negative would happily reconsider their comments, and many, including me, would be prepared to offer whatever advice you may need.

I absolutely acknowledge that there are 'newbies'... and then there are 'newbies'... Not everyone who learns to ride a bike needs trainer wheels. Your last few words... "i want to learn"
may just put you in the latter category...

Jamie

If thats the case then WHY breed them in the first place when there is an over supply!
By keeping only the nicest hatchies out of a clutch you better your lines without flooding the market with average animals...its done with other animals all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back