What problems can you get breeding snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see a first time, proud breeder popping 75% of his clutch into a freezer... of course he will, that's why he breeds them! And with bredli, you'd have to keep them for at least 12 months until they start to colour up.

And that's without the ethical issues raised by your rather silly comment...

Jamie

Wow, breeding to euthanase. That sounds like fun (not).

It would be just as well for potential breeders to know that A) it is a risk to the female. Female snakes can become egg-bound - a condition which will kill the female unless quickly identified and treated by a vet (ie surgery). Doesn't happen too often, but it is a risk every breeder takes. and B) the burden of developing, carrying and laying eggs taxes the female considerably. They lose around 30% or more of their body mass in one lay - think about that.

Then weigh all of this up against the potential upside. Sure, in a normal situation, the risks are probably worth it; but if the market is flooded with bredli, then is it worth it? Either you need to be prepared to euthanase most of the young, or you need to lay out quite a lot of money to hold onto them until one day, maybe, you sell them. Neither of those is a very palatable option.

Welcome to the hobby! We are advancing by the day.
...wasn't it you who stated the hobby was on a downwards spiral?

And that's without the ethical issues raised by your rather silly comment...

like i said this already being done with other animals...heck even zoos are doing it.

I know I've been blunt on this thread, but my main concern is the selection of species, not the notion of a relative newbie breeding his/her reptiles. Despite the highly innaccurate comments made about me and the intent of my comments, there is no reason why a relative newbie can't succeed and gain a lot from breeding reptiles. It's the selection of bredli and the fact that they can have enormous clutches of eggs that is the problem for me. There are heaps of breeders around who have young bredli from breedings 12 months and more ago, and the increasing surplus can only be bad news for the animals in the short to medium term. I don't give a toss about the reduction in price because of oversupply, it's the welfare of the progeny which should be a major concern with some of these highly fecund python species. The 'market' just is not big enough to keep absorbing the results of poorly planned, or totally unplanned, breeding projects, with species that can produce 40+ eggs in a single clutch. And unless you are prepared to fork out very large sums of money for food, for an indefinite period of time, you end up with babies that need to be unloaded as quickly as possible, and with scant regard paid to the welfare of the babies. If you are stuck with the majority of them for any length of time, can you afford the $60-$100 per week to feed them, let alone the cost of 40-odd tubs and rack and the heating to get them going?

If you could find a species which has appeal for you, and which isn't already in huge oversupply, I'm sure that the people here who have appeared negative would happily reconsider their comments, and many, including me, would be prepared to offer whatever advice you may need.

I absolutely acknowledge that there are 'newbies'... and then there are 'newbies'... Not everyone who learns to ride a bike needs trainer wheels. Your last few words... "i want to learn"
may just put you in the latter category...

Jamie

ok like no offense soo doesnt apply here... are you telling be that because i want to be knowledge able and experienced keeper that im a total newbie that doesnt know what to do? and quite frankly what you just said was unbelievably rude i have the money and the means to keep 60+ hatchlings and i am prepared to hold on to them for as long as it takes. so please if you have nothing other to say than "your world may put you into the latter category" then get lost...oh and btws im sure you didnt just pick up a 2 wheeler and start riding it when you were 5

ok like no offense soo doesnt apply here... are you telling be that because i want to be knowledge able and experienced keeper that im a total newbie that doesnt know what to do? and quite frankly what you just said was unbelievably rude i have the money and the means to keep 60+ hatchlings and i am prepared to hold on to them for as long as it takes. so please if you have nothing other to say than "your world may put you into the latter category" then get lost...oh and btws im sure you didnt just pick up a 2 wheeler and start riding it when you were 5

Hey - keep your hair on snakey_boy... if you read my post properly, I was actually suggesting that you may be one of the few who can do this with few problems, who DOESN'T need trainer wheels... BECAUSE of the last few words in your post - "I want to learn" - was, I thought, a commendable attitude and onw on which I was actually COMPLIMENTING you!

You've grabbed the wrong end of the stick lol! BUT... I was suggesting that the species choice is not a good one. Believe me, even if you have the resources and time to look after 40+ hatchies, the thrill of breeding will wear off very quickly when you have so many hard to move babies around for months or even longer.

Jamie

You should breed Black & White Diamonds instead of Bredli.
I havnt seen them for sale for a while just the high yellow ones.

Lol at Jamie. Even when being nice you manage to raise hackles.

Snake Boy you have been given some vary sound advice all you need to do now is decide what you wish to do with it.
GOOD LUCK with your decision.

"Lol at Jamie. Even when being nice you manage to raise hackles."

Yup - even when filled with the warmth of the Festive Season, I still can't crack a compliment :). I try soo hard to be popular too, but I have no idea where I go wrong lol!

And I totally acknowledge that it's snakey_boy's decision... but he asked for advice. And my only advice is... find another species. And don't get me wrong, I love bredli, but there are just so many very handsome bredli around looking for homes right now, I just wonder why one would add even more into the system.

But... it's not my decision...

Jamie

J

Yes, yes, Jamie, I remember it well - but back then, when in the employ of the WA Museum, you were heavily under the influence of volatile preservatives, so maybe it doesn't count?

Ahhhh.... THAT'S IT!!! Formaldehyde on the brain...

J

The dehydration is taking toll though, Jamie has to top up regularly with red.

You should breed Black & White Diamonds instead of Bredli.
I havnt seen them for sale for a while just the high yellow ones.

I'll be trying when the time comes. :)
Adult male on my display pic, lots of black not much white. And I have similiar but not quite as good looking female.

The dehydration is taking toll though, Jamie has to top up regularly with red.

It's the only way to keep my cheeks pink these days Michael - formaldehyde does terrible things to your complexion :(!

J :)

Hey - keep your hair on snakey_boy... if you read my post properly, I was actually suggesting that you may be one of the few who can do this with few problems, who DOESN'T need trainer wheels... BECAUSE of the last few words in your post - "I want to learn" - was, I thought, a commendable attitude and onw on which I was actually COMPLIMENTING you!

You've grabbed the wrong end of the stick lol! BUT... I was suggesting that the species choice is not a good one. Believe me, even if you have the resources and time to look after 40+ hatchies, the thrill of breeding will wear off very quickly when you have so many hard to move babies around for months or even longer.

Jamie

omg im soooo sorryy... i feel like such an *** lol. thanks or the compliment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back