Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snake relocaters have other jobs too right? That isn't their sole source of income?

you are breaking the law and you call yourself a wildlife carer ,you sir ,are more worried about your hip pocket, then what should be done ..they charge very little for what they do, and you sir ,should appreciate that ,also you sir ,should learn to either cop up the cash and do the right thing or leave the snakes alone ...

Perhaps a less confrontational approach might have produced a better result? This does not advertise the cause of the snake catcher particularly well.

I don't think anybody is advocating the wholesale slaughter of snakes however there comes a point where maybe humans and snakes cannot coexist in the same space and, unfortunately for one of them, they have to part company.

I think that carbrooksilkies was looking more for a possible solution than to be told "you should learn to cop (sic) up the money or leave the snakes alone"

I don't have that solution but those who do know better (and apparently you do) could maybe be a little less forceful and a little more helpful.

Ciao

I used to live in Mt Beauty Vic Alps. When we first moved there just coming into spring there was a 6-7ft red bellied black snake at our back door. It was trying to hind in the handle of my large pot plant. We had been under the house doing stuff and the next door nieghbor had been ih her shed moving things around so one of us disturb it from hybinating. I called the police and the local national parks to see if they could help me get rid of it as i had young children. When the national parks guy got there he said there wasnt a snake handler in the area. He told me it was a small baby snake. He went and got this thing that had three sharp edges, he pulled it away from the pot and killed it. I told him i could have done that, his responce was yes u could have so y did u call me. I didnt want it killed i wanted it relocated to the bush which was less the 5oomtrs away.

when there is a service provided which we are on call 24 seven ..seven days a week ...we are permit holders ,and Jonno can tell you this they dont hand out permits like lollies,its a job that is taken seriously ,its a very low paying one for the amount of involvement and risk that is part of catching...we can travel up to 65km in one callout only to go home and get called again ..we can be in bed and get a call at 2am and have to drive 45kms to get a harmless green tree out of a ladys loo ...why dont you guys do your jobs for free?why dont you see if you can get a plumber to fix your broken tap or pipe and get him/her to come out at 2am ....how do you justify following some WILDLIFE laws with your captive pets but you seem to think its ok to over look the other laws? so its a have your cake and eat it too senario? most catchers will do a payment plan with people so you dont have to worry about cash up front ...I know Geoff Jacobs does not sure about Jonno...but what I am sure is these guys work hard at preserving and looking after snakes and you lot fob it off like its nothing and turn it around so us catchers should be ashamed at charging a fee ,and should be ok with people killing them even though a service is provided ...dont worry about calling an ambo next time or police take the matters in your own hands .........

I used to live in Mt Beauty Vic Alps. When we first moved there just coming into spring there was a 6-7ft red bellied black snake at our back door. It was trying to hind in the handle of my large pot plant. We had been under the house doing stuff and the next door nieghbor had been ih her shed moving things around so one of us disturb it from hybinating. I called the police and the local national parks to see if they could help me get rid of it as i had young children. When the national parks guy got there he said there wasnt a snake handler in the area. He told me it was a small baby snake. He went and got this thing that had three sharp edges, he pulled it away from the pot and killed it. I told him i could have done that, his responce was yes u could have so y did u call me. I didnt want it killed i wanted it relocated to the bush which was less the 5oomtrs away.

what a jerk!

Last edited by a moderator:
If my snake catcher had the same disposition as redbelly, I think I'd take my chances with EB in my bedroom... Scary!

I agree that snake catchers should be paid to do their work redbelly, but surely you agree that sometimes it is hard to afford the various expenses of life. Sometimes I will have to endure my leaking tap for a few weeks, or attempt to fix it myself, before calling a plumber. Wait for my cold to go away and self medicate before visiting a doctor etc.

Snake relocaters have other jobs too right? That isn't their sole source of income?

It depends...those who do it properly, do it full time so they are available all the time. Those who are only ocassionally available don't get much work as they get a reputation for being unreliable...

Because it's only fair. We are on call 24/7, we have the appropriate experience, equipment and knowledge. We are dealing with potentially deadly animals, we have advertising costs, mobile phones, fuel, cars, business names, tax, insurance, accountants and bills to pay. It is a business and businesses charge money.

Exactly why i don't think i am going to bother renewing my damage mitigation permit again. Why spend all your free time helping when all they want to do is complain. We do have fuel costs to cover, the phone calls at 3am. Throw in the risk of getting bitten by a venomous snake.

Not all, there are a few that do it as their main source of income

Like i said, if its a full time job then sure, charge your fees, but understand this, not all people are willing to pay $150 to remove a snake. So you drive 45 minutes to pick up a snake, so what, most of us would drive that far to and from work everyday, and i don't get travel allowance, then have to stay there for 6 hours to get that much cash. I think it's a little much to ask for someone to pay what could be 10 hours worth of work. You would probably find you'd get alot more calls if the price was a little lower, maybe charge by the hour.

And as for the plumber, if i was able to do it myself then i would, would you call an ambulance for a scratch or would you take care of it yourself?

Is it possible you don't want people moving snakes because it means less $$$ for you?

its my full time job ...and i charge bugger all ...and what you fail to understand is if it wasnt for the catchers there would be alot more snake bites because more people would be trying to catch or kill ...we are there for a reason and like for the 100 000 0000 000000000 snakes are protected we are the only voice they have so as a voice for the snakes i will say again learn to live with them if you cant move away or call a qualified catcher ...

By the way, not having a go at you snake catchers but if someone already doesn't like snakes, good luck getting cash out of them to remove it.

Mudimans,

Please don't take offence to this as it is definitely not meant to be offensive - but everyone like you, who says that we charge too much, doesn't do call-outs.

My call-out fee structure is loosely based on a $50 call out fee and then $20 per 15 minutes I am on site. If it's further than 20km away, than $1/km is tagged on top. For corporate customers this is increased. So basically, a call out for a guy down the road with an easily caught snake will be $70 ($50+$20). I more so do call-outs for the fun of it rather than the money. My income from doing the couple of hundred call-outs a year is approximately 5%, so it's not for the money.

I'm a very hard man to offend Jonno :) you guys do a great job, but telling someone "it's illegal" doesn't mean squat when it comes to his familys percieved threat.

G'day Mudimans,

You are definitely right. I don't follow RBB's method of explaining legalities because those legalities mean nothing anyway. I try and instill a sense of respect, a bit of knowledge and almost an aspect of responsibility to look after these animals to those in a situation like Carbrooks. I also try and explain that the perceived threat is nowhere near as threatening as they first thought.

Cheers

I have to agree with jonno here

even if its not a wildlife callout...
Ive been called at 11pm on a saturday night being told that someone does not have internet and they wanted me to fix it...
when i then state its going to $150 for me to knock on the door they flipped out..
I then explained to them, Im currently at a birthday party and ill need to leave the party to go get my tools and software from home.. then drive to there place and then see if its even going to be fixable...

they said ohh.. well sure then cause its important i get internet back on tonight.

So arriving at the clients house.... i notice hes steped on the power cable for the router and pulled it out of the wall....
he ended up paying, and then i found out his important internet use was to chat to asian mail order brides....

So... its a bit bloody rich to say call outs should be free for relocating snakes... and to think this person has just come half way across town to relocate a venomous snake plus risk getting bitten in the process to ensure you and your family dont get bitten an remain safe.........AND you think that should be FREE....

As far as pricing goes for relocations, i always told people that if i didn't find the snake it was free as i wasn't really providing a service, if i do capture the snake then it is $40-50 depending on the location. I see that as a fair rate and most were happy with it, especially if i had to come back more than once to find the snake, some just run into the house once you have bagged a snake.

I don't know who has been charging $150 to remove a snake, i think that is a bit too pricey IMO anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back