What will I do now.....?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a my opinion.
Hitting a kid should be alright if they did something wrong AND you tell them what they did wrong, if you don't they/we think you just want to hit them/us. I was smacked once or twice when I was younger.
BUT if my step dad hit me these days... Ill hit back :shock:

Thats just because he over reacts tho.

pffft, i've got smacked with rattan palm sticks (the stuff they use for wicker baskets n stuff) if i scored anything below 60% on any test. Grew up fine, got great marks back in school, and nothing more. If anything i grew up to respect anyone older, and i also understood after awhile that my parents meant the best for me.
I don't see how that could help you score higher on a test... I wonder what your parents were thinking. 'He didn't get good marks? Smack him, it'll make him smart.'

OK my 2 cents :))

What kids those days are missing is : respect!!! Excuse me if I come across as old fashioned but when I walk into someones house I expect the child to say hello to me after I say hello to them, instead of looking me up and down and continuing with whatever they were doing. What hope do they have at work when they are told what to do!

I was smacked when I was younger and I must admit the fear of getting belted made me what I am today. I knew that, when my friends wagged school and if I went with them my parents would have killed me. When friends drank alcohol and smoked cigarettes - I knew better!

I love my parents and not for once do I hate them for the fact that they smacked me (well I am sure I felt differently at the time) but I guess they had the right idea about smacking. There is a difference between smacking and beating the s out of a child.

Do I smack my kids??? **** yeah! From very early I have implemented the one - two - three theory. I am going to count to three and if you don't do as you are told you get a smack on three! I can honestly tell you - my daughter is 10 and I can not remember the last time I had to smack her. Yet as soon as I get to 2 ...she ****s herself :)))))

Recently I have watched a program on TV about some 10 year olds that are smoking and running wild in small country towns till 1 / 2 am and the reporter asked well, where are the parents??? As I agree with this statement to some point...I then ask myself....the government tells our children that smacking is not ok, that it is ok to do what they don't want to do. You don't feel like going to school today - well your parents can't make you! At 14 they tell you that its ok to leave school, move out of home and even pay you money to do so!!! Like really???? And then when this child plays up - ITS US that is to blame!!!

I think I have 2 beautiful children, that listen have respect but most of all understand consequences! I am not saying that smacking is the reason they have turned up like this but because I did it my way and if anyone has a problem with it - tough luck!!!!

One thing to note is this whole 'image' being promoted about what constitutes a perfect parent. It's terrible, because it puts a hell of a lot of pressure on people these days; what constitutes a perfect mum? Well, media and social analogies tell us that a perfect mum these days isn't far removed from the 50's, not emotionally speaking. A perfect mum (or dad, for the single dads out there), must at all times be emotionally stable. They must keep a perfect house, tidy at all times, keep their temper under control, never smack their children, never yell, swear, drink. They must divide their time evenly between a career (how many at home parents here have heard "Oh... you're only a parent? Is that all?"), their children and apparently must have time to perfectly manicure their image to having that media body/makeup/clothes/lifestyle everyone dreams of (and most people fake, come on; let's be honest).
It doesn't matter what you do somebody's going to be judging your parenting methods, judging your children's behaviour (EVERY kid has bad days where they'll throw a tanty in public or do something outrageous), judging your appearance, judging your lifestyle. I had a woman who turned her nose up at my housekeeping; it used to make me feel awful. For the record I'm not a bad housekeeper at all, but my two major sticklers are usually a pile of clean washing waiting to be folded and last-night's dinner dishes sometimes while their way out 'till morning, it's not a crime. One day I went to her house and holy crap: It was like hoarders! We were walking through rooms sideways, and I vowed never to go there again.
As far as children's behaviour goes... well I'm not backing letting your kids run wild but come on, be reasonable! A child is not a handbag; they're a little person with all the emotional pitfalls and individuality that comes with it. Anyone who expects a perfect stepford child has either never had children or is completely deluding themselves.
I guess what I'm saying is that I take anyone who tells me they've got this image down pat with a grain of salt: they're either lying or there's something lacking. The charade should stop! We're all human, we all make mistakes, get frustrated, lose our cool, forget or can't be bothered to only vacuum one day, or fold the washing, wear sweats or undies around the house and not brush our hair one day when we're not even going out.
I'll go first: I'm a real mum. I breastfeed in public (apparently a major crime these days, but I cover up to save the argument), sometimes I forego folding the washing or leave the dishes till the morning, days I don't go out I wear trakkie dacks and there's days on rare occasions where I'll leave the pantry open and let my kids eat cake for breakfast. I've smacked my kids and I've yelled, but that doesn't make me bad, it makes me human, and I know where the line is and when to leave the kids with my husband and go for a walk to the back of the backyard and cool off. Who's next?

Well now I feel like a bad mum... lmao :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back