? What's the difference between Atherton Jungles and Jungles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLANA

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi just wondering what is the difference between Atherton Jungles and Jungles. I purchase 2 Atherton Jungle Pythons, I thought that a Jungle Python was a Jungle Python. From what I've recently read it dosn't sound like they are. What is the difference between them. Ovioulsy Athertons don't seem to be as bright of yellow but is there anything else. Or are Athertons not jungles there just called Atherton Jungles for the hell of it and are really just coastals ?. Sorry I'm just really confused. I've attached a pic of my guys for you to see.

Also is there anything else you can feed Athertons other than rats as my guy dosn't seem to really want them.

(photo of female)
COPY4.jpg

Photo of Male
COPY3.jpg

i think the main difference is that theyre from different locations.
maybe try a chicken.

is there something wrong with the males skin ?

thanks
..<>brad<>..

Yeah he got burnt a couple of months ago when he was with his previous owner, he apparantly got stuck in the light cover when the light was off and coiled it and then timer went on and he got stuck. Apparantly he was in there for 40min getting burnt until he broke the bulb. Poor bugger, he's slowly getting better but his still a beautiful boy.

With the chickens do you take there beak of or do they swollow that ok, as I read that thread a white ago about the chicken beak that wen't through that snakes neck:? . And left a big whole.

Essentially it is a locality thing.

The Genus Morelia, encapsulates all carpet python species. i.e. diamond, jungles, darwins, etc.

An Atherton python is a Morelia spilota cheyni, which is the same genus and sub-species for a jungle.

no recent taxononomy has been done that suggests these are different species and so they remain under the same banner.

Jungles however, tend to be the smaller of the carpet family and are black and gold banded in colour.

it is thought that the larger animals, are low genetic intergrades of larger carpet species and "jungles"

But as i mentioned they are still under the same species banner.

Cheers

D

ok what size chicken would I need for a boy of his size, he's around 7 going on 8ft.

Essentially it is a locality thing.

The Genus Morelia, encapsulates all carpet python species. i.e. diamond, jungles, darwins, etc.

An Atherton python is a Morelia spilota cheyni, which is the same genus and sub-species for a jungle.

no recent taxononomy has been done that suggests these are different species and so they remain under the same banner.

Jungles however, tend to be the smaller of the carpet family and are black and gold banded in colour.

it is thought that the larger animals, are low genetic intergrades of larger carpet species and "jungles"

But as i mentioned they are still under the same species banner.

Cheers

D

Wow I still have so much to learn about pythons. Thanks heaps for the info. So pretty much a Jungle is smaller and brighter a Atherton is larger, and is though to be a intergrade between a carpet and jungle but there's no real proof of that yet, and until the study them they are still clased as a jungle. Is that right:? :)

Yeah they are still a "jungle" under taxonomy rules.

it isnt restricted to Jungles, each species of snake is thought to have several sub species due to locality. Each locality is different due to other snakes in the area mating and creating a sub species.

its like Bredli and Darwins for example. There is a few articles kicking around which talks of these being sub species of the same species group. It needs more research

Actually i am pretty sure Rick Shine is doing some work on brown snakes as he thinks there is seven sub species in the group.

My diamond for example, though a diamond, i am sure somewhere back in the "evolutionary" trail had a coastal carpet in there somewhere as his pattern is not the traditional "diamond" pattern. i.e. rosettes etc.

never the less, they are all nice snakes.

D

a small chook would down easy. jungles vary in colour and size depending on the localty.

Yeah they are still a "jungle" under taxonomy rules.

it isnt restricted to Jungles, each species of snake is thought to have several sub species due to locality. Each locality is different due to other snakes in the area mating and creating a sub species.

its like Bredli and Darwins for example. There is a few articles kicking around which talks of these being sub species of the same species group. It needs more research

Actually i am pretty sure Rick Shine is doing some work on brown snakes as he thinks there is seven sub species in the group.

My diamond for example, though a diamond, i am sure somewhere back in the "evolutionary" trail had a coastal carpet in there somewhere as his pattern is not the traditional "diamond" pattern. i.e. rosettes etc.

never the less, they are all nice snakes.

D

Hi thanks so much for that, you really are a clever cookie when it comes to snakes, hopefully one day I will have a head full of knowledge about them too. I've been looking at your hooks as well and might look at purchasing a larger one after chrissy if that's ok.

Does that also mean that Normal Jungles can breed with Atherton Jungles. Don't worry I have no intentions of this just was curious.

yeah there is no hassle there, an atherton will breed with a jungle. x breeding can actually occur among a lot of the species groups.

Which has other connotations attached to it.

A species is defined as, two individuals that can breed and produce viable offspring.

So all Morelia Spilota .... are the same species and will breed together and produce viable offspring.

However, Morelia Bredli can breed with Morelia spilota, suggesting that these too are the same species though they are classified under different species groups.

The best thing is that there is still plenty of research in this area, well in every area of biology, that jobs will be always there. Keeps me in cash for more pets.

D

Its seems that most Carpet sub-species are now a thing of the past, going by the latest research i think only Morelia Bredli and Imbricata have retained true sub-species status.

Although i still think people should stick to only breeding to locality/previous sub-species

Australis, totally agree, be good to see people locality breeding.

However, Morelia bredli are a species unto themselves, imbricata is a sub species. of Morelia spilota

This is something that i am sure to see change in the future and to become Morelia spilota bredli

Guess we will have to just wait and see

All Morelia can breed togeater... even green tree pythons and coastal carpets...

as weird as it sounds :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back