Which do you trust more?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skitzmixer

Reaction score
So my Habistat Thermostat is set to 30 degree's. Thermometer A says it 35 degree's, thermometer B and it says its 29. Is it safe to say that thermometer A is broken? And I should trust my habistat thermostat over my thermometer? Thermometer A is only about 3 months old (ebay job, also does humidity).

Unless its a calibrated gauge its all just indicative of temp. I use a mercury type thermometer to set up enclosures for temp before occupants go in

If you want a second reference point, if it goes this low, crushed ice with salt poured over it (excess), and a tiny bit of water (really tiny), all mashed up should be -15 C

Salt is a solid, and when dissolved, it requires energy to dissolve, which it takes from the environment.
Salty water freezes at a lower temperature.
When ice goes from solid, to liquid water, there's actually a net decrease in the temperature of the ice (so ice needs to take energy from the surrounds to melt).

So what happens is the salt melts the ice (decreasing the temp), splits from the solid form to dissolved (which lowers the temp), and so the result is an icy slurry of brine at -15 C.

Machines that make slushies at home use the same method.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the positioning of the probes on all 3 instruments in relation to each other and the heat source. With my thermostat probe in the middle of my enclosure set on 28 degrees I maintain a basking spot between 32-34 degrees a central point around 28 degrees and a cool spot around 23-25 depending on room temps

You have 2 readings within a degree of eachother, one is atleast 5 degrees higher, which one would you say is the odd one out?

I'd trust the habistat, they're good quality and do what they do well

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the positioning of the probes on all 3 instruments in relation to each other and the heat source. With my thermostat probe in the middle of my enclosure set on 28 degrees I maintain a basking spot between 32-34 degrees a central point around 28 degrees and a cool spot around 23-25 depending on room temps

Yeah i should of mentioned that, they're right next to each other, just because i wanted to get an accurate reading.

You have 2 readings within a degree of eachother, one is atleast 5 degrees higher, which one would you say is the odd one out?

I'd trust the habistat, they're good quality and do what they do well

Yeah its a bit like that. It was more which would you trust more the Habistat or the thermometer, but as you said habistat are good quality so ill trust that the most :)

If you want a second reference point, if it goes this low, crushed ice with salt poured over it (excess), and a tiny bit of water (really tiny), all mashed up should be -15 C

How many typical thermometers and thermostat go down to -15C?
Not very practical.

Should be -18C which is near enough to zero F.

Most if not all thermometers can measure that low.

So my Habistat Thermostat is set to 30 degree's. Thermometer A says it 35 degree's, thermometer B and it says its 29. Is it safe to say that thermometer A is broken? And I should trust my habistat thermostat over my thermometer? Thermometer A is only about 3 months old (ebay job, also does humidity).

I bought 1 of those laser temp guns because of different temps from different thermos.Best investment ever,$20 odd from ebay.I've got 8 enclosures and growing so I need consistent info

I bought 1 of those laser temp guns because of different temps from different thermos.Best investment ever,$20 odd from ebay.I've got 8 enclosures and growing so I need consistent info

I have one of those as well :) You're right they are fantastic. The thing i like about the prob thermometer is that i can measure the air temp, but i havent worked out a way to do it with the laser one yet. Unless you know a way?

I have one of those as well :) You're right they are fantastic. The thing i like about the prob thermometer is that i can measure the air temp, but i havent worked out a way to do it with the laser one yet. Unless you know a way?

I don't worry too much about air temps,I just spot different parts of enclosure.I hit the basking spot,a cool spot,a middle spot and the feeding spot but having said that I just bought a bunch of combo hygro/thermo gauges off ebay for about 6 bucks each and will be fitting them into all my wooden enclosures

Fair enough, personally i need to worry about the air temps a little bit just because of my GTP. I've got a few more of ebay so we'll see how they go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back