Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

888lowndes888

Reaction score
Out of interest who here hooks their snakes out of enclosures and who here reaches in and picks them up?? Also what is the reason for your method? Just a curiosity question as you hear of people that hook and people who grab but I am interested to know peoples motvies as to why! Besides of course the obvious "its's cage defensive" or "its a ven" etc.

well ive got 3 childrenis and i just pick them up i have been bitten once but she dont do it no more

Depending on the mood of the snake. Most times I grab, but if some reason the python is a little fiesty or a bit unsettled for whatever reason (ie is hungry) I will use the hook. I only keep pythons.

I only ever Grabbed til the other day when i got my new pair of pythons now i use the hook for them and sometimes the others depending on mood.

i do the exact same as symbol.it really does depend on the mood of the python.i normally put my hand in there and touch him to let him no i m there and then just pick him up,otherwise i find it scares mine to much if i just scoop him straight up.

Yer they react so different from the hook and my hand, if i use my hand they usually jump a whole lot if i use the hook they casually come out, so really i prefer using the hook because of the fact it scares them less

I use the hook maybe once a month, just for the sticky situations.

most of the time i use a hook . just so they get used to the hook for when they get bigger.

Never used a hookd usually just touch the snake to let him know im there then grab him out most of the time hes wrapped on the perch but hes happy to come out

young ones that are a bit nervous or any trouble feeders get hooked out, everything that feeds well and behaves i use hands.

2 reasons for this:

1- no need to add stress to their day with a big hand coming in and grabbing them, especially trouble feeders.
2- little ones don't hurt, big bites aren't fun. Why bother being bitten if you can avoid it. I am looking into getting elapids when i have a bit more room so it's also good to keep that in your mind for all snakes and not get lazy, even if it is just an old python.

Hand, I let the snake see me then grab her [and plus I am yet to get a hook]

hook for my bigguns as my bhp is a bit flighty if I hand grab her but the littlies I hand grab

I touch him gently on the body first, then grab him slowly. I try and wait till he's in a position where he's not wrapped around anything or is likely to retreat, I do everything with him very slowly and gently. I hate seeing him stressed or frightened.

use my hands about 90% of the time,hook only wen theyr bein difficult

as several have said, just a touch on the body and then pick up, but I like to wake it up first by making a vibration around it so the inntial contact doesnt cause a fright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back