Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warm weather yesterday turned my small and usually placid stimmi into a nutter, and he bit me for the first time, struck the glass and generally didn't want me anywhere near him, but i had to remove some fuzzys he hadn't taken so i hooked him out to avoid stressing him. Whatevers best for the snake i reckon.

ummm even though my childrens is smaller then my little finger wide :lol: if he's being snooky 2/10 times then i hook him just to prevent stress (he'll tag me but not the hook) he's abit cage protective.. but mostly he's a angel he likes to show his devilish side..

my jungle no problems, just pull her out, she's 4ft at the moment and a angel with no apparent devil!

my coastal is 4ft as well and she's more likely to tag me outside the enclosure then in it :lol: shes quite good to get out.

usually just grab, but if it gets a bit much i just use a tub lid as a shield and then grab them :)

as a newbie with little experience I use the hook...it seems to be easier to let them know you are there rather than reaching in...as he gets bigger and more used to me I will see what happens.

my childreni is a slow lazy bastard who would care whats going on, so i just reach in and gently pick him up

im a hand man. i just stick my hand in and gently grab my olive as he is just too damn placid lol i love it. i do the same with my juv scrub she is more bluff than bite and is fine once the hand is near her, but hates the lid opening, things will change when she gets sum decent size on her then the hook will come out.

at the moment the hook, i'm still a bit wary of my bredli.
my first snake and still getting used to all of her behaviour.
my friends however just go in for the grab and pay the crap out of me for being such a wimp with my hooks.

I just grab them out hehe even if they try to go me. I've never used hooks or gloves with any snake.

I do both, depends on the mood they're in.

My bredli is tricky to get out but I use my hands because he doesn't bite.

The jungle I can get out with my hands sometimes, or I just grab the hide he's in and gently tip him onto my hand, if he's in a bad mood I just use the hook.

Gentle hooking, then a touch so it feels my skin......seems to work nicely even on the littlies

If night time when they are in hunting mode, I always use a hook so they know it's handling and not feeding time. I grab the Antaresia during daytimes, use hands (preferably coming up underneath a snake on a log or vine) most of the time for Morelia. The exception is my Darwin boy who has a favourite perch at eye level and has been known to hit the glass with a strike when I go by. I hook him off the perch onto my hand and then he's great. If my Bredl boy is on shed and needs to be handled, I use a hook because he's very cranky. I rarely have to do this - only for cleaning emergencies. After he sheds he's mellow again.

grab our diamond. she is not aggressive at all so we don't have to worry

for adult jungles and other morelia in enclosures - gently hook and use hand under body.. once out of enclosure.. just use hands..

for sub adults and younger in tubs - gently lift using hands

I never grab :rolleyes: I find that once they get used to you and your routine.. and if your gentle with them most relax and are very easy to handle.. theres always the exception though..

Do not use a hook for any of mine .
There is one or two i probably should hook out , but its quicker to just pick them up .

I tase mine into submission with my stun gun, then I zip strip their heads to their tails, after that it's as simple as moving a hula hoop..... But I always have a loaded shotgun within reach, just in case one gets free.....( And that's just for the hatchling pythons.....)

i just grab them but if they are snappy when i try to pick em up i put on a set of gloves....but is only my olive female thats snappy at the moment

I hook venomous and grab non venomous.
Hooks just stress them out especially if you cant hook them first go.
I f you just get in their and grab them you will not have a prob.
He who hesitates will get bitten lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back