Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kris, you wouldn't be having a go at a bloke that breeds jungle localities where jungles aren't found are you?

Well ive always loved reptiles since i was about 10,and when i was older my brother who is a vet had a 7-8foot Diamond which was awesome,like alot of young kids,i keeped lizards,and little whip snakes,marsh snakes for a day or two and then let them go.Since ive left home 18years ago i nearly always had a python,fast forward i have 13 pythons,Port Macs,Darwins,BHP.I just love things that slither.Ive owned alot of animals in my time,but nothing compares to keeping reptiles,

Why do I like reptiles? I don;t, I just like to hang around internet chat sites trying to pick up girls.

Just last week I met this really cool 14 year old online. She was really funny, witty and from her pic that she sent me she was really cute. We decided to meet up at the local McDonalds after she finished work. When I got there she told me she was an undercover cop. How cool is that at her age?

Lmao!

So many reasons! I like reptiles as pets because i think Australia has some of the most unique and diverse wildlife on the planet. Australian reptiles are amazing and highly adapted to the aussie climate and conditions, and having them reminds me what a unique and fragile continent we live on. Having native australian reptiles as pets helps keep me connected to the great outdoors, and is a reminder that there amazing landscapes and ecosystems out there, which deserve our respect and protection. Plus, they have great little personalities, are low maintenance and are awesome conversation starters!

Good luck with the essay.

Living in the Perth Hills, I am fortunate enough to see 20 - 30 different reptile species on any given warm day/evening. Spending alot of time observing them in the wild has taught me more than any book or documentary could. Each species has its own unique behaviours eg. SW crevice egernia will dart into a hidey spot when it sees you, then poke its head back out to watch you - even the newborns. A Broad-banded sandswimmer will find a pile of leaves to hide in near an outside light in the evening, to more easily get a meal of the moths. If it is unfortunate enough to almost cross paths with you, it will stop, lower its body to the ground and pretend that you can't see it against the white sand around your home. You know that you have become a little obsessed with these creatures when you find yourself outside shooing the owls away from the nearest trees at night, and putting more hollow logs around your house to provide escape routes from the kookaburra's. When you go for a walk during the day and realise that your beloved dogs attention is on a huge monitor that is as big as she is, you have to respect, better understand & admire these unique critters - then spend more time and money "monitor" proofing your orphaned roo joey enclosure. Keeping a python as a pet has many benefits for us and the most important is to educate our visitors to respect and less fear the animals they are likely to encounter on our property.

Good luck with your uni essay and upcoming end of semester exams.

Hi Sweetangel,

I lived in my beachfront unit for about 10 years that had a "no pets" policy.

Keeping reptiles was easy, no noise, no smell, could hibernate them through winter and go overseas for work and did not need to have anybody elso look after them.

i was introduced to reptiles in high school by a classmate who is now a very prominent herpetogist in our community. he took us out in yr10 looking for herps in the outskirts of Mudgee and there was the first time had seen legless lizards,all sorts of skinks and we also caught in a creek bed a red bellied black.
I was in awe at the respect that snake commanded and the power it possesed and i have been fascinated ever since.
again i think i admire the power a snake posseses and respect it commands, the wow factor at feeding times. the fact that they always have that edge about them that you have to keep an eye on. whether it be the power of a python or the venom of a poisonous snake in varying degrees most snakes demand respect.
i think like that the most...

i always found them fascinating, but now days i just love their quirky antics, the beardies especially keep me well entertained! :)

They don't demand attention all the time like dogs and cats... You can make reptile inclosures works of art unlike gpigs,rats,rabbits ect who are kept in ugly cages and hutches... They don't get furr all over the house. You don't need to call a groomer everyfew months to clip hair/nails or spend money on random things available for our furry creatures...hair doo's, dog perfum, loads of junky toys and collars? lmao... pythons don't have claws and don't jump on your lap and scratch you up like dogs n cats...they don't jump up on you at all in fact lol.... they don't bark, whine and howl... They aint in every house hold and food is pretty cheap compared to alot of other animals (i.e dog cat rodent food is available very expansively because people want to buy the best even though its pretty much all the same). They don't roll in dead animals or foul smelling stuff. don't dig holes n so much more... also76 has a good point... why don't you own them? haha.... :p

haha personalty ...snakes, i don't think they have personalty ,their smart enough to kill rats and breed, that's it unfortunately ..there awesome pets :D but i think people should loss the idea that there snakes know them and are tame ...this would prevent alot of bites i think..

why do i like reptiles..
i like the snake genetics , morphs ect :D

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back