Wild Coastal Carpet Python behaving strangely

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkpy

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster.

I live in a bushland area in QLD, where we regularly see snakes around the home. Most common are the Coastal Carpet Pythons, which we respectfully share our home with - typically up on the roof, gutters, and in the carport.

We have a 2m python currently curled up on the deck perched atop a couple of stools. The python has been no trouble at all, but I am worried there might be something wrong as it has not left this spot and does not show much interest when I come close to it since it chose to park itself there last Saturday (10 days). I just thought it would move on after a couple of days, but it doesn't appear to be hunting at night and it is now looking thin, slightly bony.

Is this unusual behaviour? Is there anything I can do to help? Should I call animal rescue or something? There are no droppings and it appears to have very low energy. The weather is cold and wet at the moment, so maybe it just wanted to be somewhere out of the rain.

I am not a snake handler. I've only ever helped pythons cross the road to safety, and tend to prefer to just leave nature be. We don't have any pets and there are no dangers to the animal where it is.

Concerned and looking forward to some expert advice.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0538.jpg
    DSC_0538.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 0
Back