Wild Mouse... Captured at last...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
After a week of setting up humane (home made traps) we finally cornered the mouse in the bathroom under a towel and a toy Barbie doll car.

Even nights of filming (like Paranormal Activity - Mouse version) we were unable to even capture much of the mouse's movements.

But like all criminals it made a fatal error and ran between the kids legs into the bathroom. The biggest mistake of its life.

Now I see no point in euthanising it just yet - even though small, surely it could be a feed for a snake?

Do I worm it? Feed it up? Then feed it to the snakes after gassing it?

Or...?

take it to a park down the road and let it go! :)

my local park has 3 of mine now! :)

Worms???

Not going to let a pest into the wild... I may as well release tilapia into the local streams....

So my question is:

Should I worm the mouse (somehow), fatten it up, sharp whack to the head, feed it to snake?

Obviously there's a hold-back period for mouse being wormed till the time I feed it to the snake... So no more release it options - it's a snack for a snake!

Safe bet is not feed it to your snake, you dont know what the mouse has eaten, Baits etc, keep feeding defrosted mice or if you must mice you know were bred specifically for reptile food.

Slimey i think feeding a wild mouse to your snake is unsafe, don't you care about your animals welfare? Perhaps you could catch this mouse a partner, breed them, grow the babies up until they are about finger size, whack them on the head and then insert your fingers inside them. If you catch yourself a partner for this mouse today you should have finger sized mice by the middle of winter which means you will have lovely finger warmers. Then you could put a finger puppet play on for your snakes and children. Atleast that's what i would do.

After a week of setting up humane (home made traps) we finally cornered the mouse in the bathroom under a towel and a toy Barbie doll car.

Make sure you give your Barbie doll car a bit of a wipe before you start playing with it again Slim :)
BTW why would you even contemplate taking the risk of feeding off a feral mouse,wormed or not?

I would not be feeding any wild mouse to my snake wormed or not.
Don't be a tight bum slim...let the moths out of your wallet!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought as much.... all you do gooders....

So now I have to keep the damn mouse as a pet! What a JIP!!

Perhaops you could train it to do circus tricks and make millions of dollars off it. Then it wouldn't be a pet mouse it would be a working mouse. Would that be less of a jip?

I thought as much.... all you do gooders....

So now I have to keep the damn mouse as a pet! What a JIP!!

Perhaops you could train it to do circus tricks and make millions of dollars off it. Then it wouldn't be a pet mouse it would be a working mouse. Would that be less of a jip?

I was thinking the same.Give him your barbie doll car and teach him to drive it.

I want to clarify something... just in case people think I play with stupid Barbie Doll cars....

It's a VW BEETLE... so it's not so stupid!

The funny thing for the mouse is - in order to keep it he's gone into an ex-snake enclosure... and the snake that used to live in that is really upset that a mouse is now living in there. She was watching all night last night - I think she's jealous!

Is the mouse just sitting there in the old snake's enclosure, frozen in terror?

The faint scent of snake sending cold shivers up it's spine. It feels like someone's watching......waiting. There's always someone watching. Slowly the mouse turns it's head, the fear has created the paradox of wanting to run yet being virtually paralyzed. The mouse's eyes slowly pan to the left, to the darkness in the corner.....AAARRGGHHH WHAT'S THAT! The mouse nervously chuckles to itself, realising it has glimpsed it's own shadow. Safe. For now. But who knows what could be lurking in that cold, dark shadow in the corner tomorrow. The mouse quietly settles down to rest, but rest does not come easy. Nightmares of cold dark eyes & rows of needle teeth filling it's thoughts. Tomorrow will be another day to confront the beast, the beast out there, & the beast in it's thoughts. Tomorrow.

"Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a constant fear that something's always there.
Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a phobia, that someone's always there."
-Iron Maiden

Well - Sock Puppet..... that story is just not true....

The strong scent of snake sending cold shivers up its spine, tingling to its tiny whiskers. He rubs his nose with his tiny paws carefully wetting his appendages with his sticky sweet saliva to clean that disgusting scent of death awaiting from his slender snout. The giant coastal carpet python, clearly visible through the clean, but cracked glass of his new goal. Before he was captured by the warmth of the compressor whirring at night under the fridge. Now he sees two cold, dark eyes staring down at him knowing that his heat and heart beat are giving away his every location. Even though there's a solid glass wall, 2.5mm wire (for $29.95 per 5m at Bunnings) and another set of 2.5mm wire in a newly fashioned, well designed, well built enclosure which the owner would sell for $1,000 to someone, but somehow, all those safety devices don't beckon sanity for a lonely mouse.

He hasn't seen Gertrude for at least 9 days now. Did she succumb to the dark evil yet golden shiny skin of PeeGee the destroyer?

It's unlikely because she just swallowed a rat the other day. And Gerturde would be not more than a tea leaf in an ocean of boiling water.

Well, for now he realises he's safe inside the very hide the evil once lurked. But for now... he waits for his next meal - knowing his next meal might actually be him!

Munchkins
Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
- not Iron Maiden (I don't think)

[video=youtube;5gMzi7gR9xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMzi7gR9xo&feature=related[/video]

haha, gold, love the plug for Bunnings & the craftily concealed for sale ad.

You know, we might have this all wrong. Perhaps it could be like......(que dreamy harp playing & wobbly vision as we drift off to the next scene)

Bastards. They'd caught him. Even Barbies souped up VW was not quick enough to outrun the bipedal giants that have now trapped & jailed our rodent hero McGyver Mouse. Finding himself yet again in a seemingly inescapable situation, MM slowly takes in his surroundings, knowing that if there's any weak point in his new cell, he'll find it. The cell reeks of snake. MM hated that smell. MM also hated that most, if not all, of his species would freeze in terror at this point. Not MM. McGyver Mouse's middle name is Danger, after all (not to be confused with that insipid cartoon hero Danger Mouse) & MM loved a challenge. He could see the previous occupant across the room, safely behind glass & wire (MM absently realised it looked like wire from Bunnings). Taking joy in such a rare opportunity, MM slowly turns his back on the giant python, reaches behind him, & gives the snake a dirty big brown eye. Quietly chuckling to himself, MM sets to the task of looking for that weak point, the chink in the armour. Then MM spots it. There's a slight gap between the sliding glass doors of his prison, perhaps if he can just....squeeze....suck in the gut.......twist............stuck. Bugger.

Play McGyver closing credits track.
- Not by Iron Maiden, but I'm sure they'd do a cracking cover of it.

MM actually has one advantage....

The reason PeeGee the golden coloured coastal carpet python was actually moved from the said gaol was because of a terrible rip-stick accident.

Let me tell you the story... Come kids, gather round....

It was a dark and stormy night in the tropical land of Gordonvale. Nothing stirred or whispered except for the 40 knot winds that howled through the holes in the fence pilings and rustling the banana leaves shredding them, making them unusuable for a hangi. But standing alone, with two other young girls, was Pipi Pee (names change for annanomity). Standing on the glistening white tiles of the modern but modest decor of the new house.

She eyed up the shadowed grass, lit in the surrounds by 2 edison screw 100W spot lights now selling for $8.95 at Coles, but are so inefficient compared to the more modern energy saving light fittings for similar prices. The two orange sparkle wheels lay at 45' angles to the white tiles with her foot paused on the rear of the rip stick.

"You can do it..." they chanted. "You can do it..."

She knew she could. It was only 14 tiles to get enough speed to get over the small, yet dangerous edge where tiles meet lawn. She knew if she had enough speed the coefficient of friction between tile to lawn would be great enough to fling her off the rip stick hurtling towards a certain plummet to earth. Though she wouldn't have time to meet terminal velocity, she would almost certainly get mud on her knee.

"You can do it...." They continued.

Her foot now raised the rip stick perpendicular to the tiled floor, he other foot paused on the tiles pushing, but not moving, ready for the first thrust. The motion forward was anxiously waiting. She knew she could do it. She knew she could. She took one last breath, eyed up the grass at the end of the tiled runway, looked deep into the howling wind. Then with one last gasp of air her right foot pushed off....

The rip stick flew from underneath her. She squealed as the rip stick now without a rider hurtled towards the most vicious looking carpet python's enclosure. A glass enclosure with a wooden backing given to the owner by Stary Boy an ex-APS member for a long time. The tank housed the most ominous python. One that has never let a hand go unscathed when entering her dimension. One python has struck so much fear into the hearts of these young girls, knowing if this python should ever escape, the first thing it would do would be find kitchen utensils and inflict as much pain on the family as possible.

With the rip-stick now out of control, and hurtling towards the tank, Pipi Pee lay on her back, knees slightly bent as she heard the loud CRACK!

The girls scampered quickly, locking all doors and gasping with their hands over their mouths.

"What if she escapes.." one says

"She'll kill us all...." The other says....

Pipi Pee looks horrified as the python slithered around looking for the weak point in the now cracked glass. The glass glistened under the 100W bulb's light refracting light in unique angles and beginning to scatter the light because of the obtuse angles that now existed. But the glass held. Even though the carpet python nudged the glass, it appeared there was no real way out.

This time, Pipi Pee was lucky.

Some clear tape ($1.99) covered the star shaped crack.

And work on the latest enclosure began....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back