will my snake be ok

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhh. He should be ok mate, but in the future if his skin is stuck when he sheds, before you try and help him out of it it might be an idea to let him soak in his water bowl or even get dad to pop him in a pillowcase that's been wet and wrung out well and tie the top securely, making sure not to catch his head in it when it's tied. Be sure the room you put him in when he's in the pillowcase is nice and warm, snakes get colds too you know (well sort of) :wink: Sometimes it helps if they have a little sorbolene cream gently rubbed on their skin, don't put any on his head as you don't want to get it stuck in his labial pits (the little "vents" under his mouth)

Oh, I didn't see the last few while I was typing my response. Ummmm....how did he get sticky tape on him?

if it is shedding just leave it alone for now. check it again this afternoon. if it has not shed cleanly give your snake a soak in a luke warm bath.
cheers.

in future do not let your snake play with the stickytape. can you put up a pic.
cheers.

Not really, the water can loosen the sticky stuff, so it wasn't stupid at all. I wouldn't advise putting the paraffin on him as I've never used it, maybe someone here has and can offer advice on that one? Perhaps a little diluted betatdine.

Avoid using anything sticky in the snakes enclosure.
Use some luke warm water with some betadine in it. Make the water a light tea colour with betadine and soak the snake in it for a little while. Make sure the water isn't deep enough for the snake to drown in, keep an eye on the snake while it is in the water.

Cheers - Craig

i think some fool has told you to get any unshed skin off with sticky tape.is that right haydz

I'm glad you guys all know what he's talking about cause it sounds like jibberish to me. I'm still trying to work out if he has torn the snakes skin and has left a wound from trying to remove sticky tape, or if he was using sticky tape to remove an old slough or whether it got stuck on some sticky tape in the enclosure and they're trying to get it off or if....etc etc etc.

I would rather get an accurate story rather than offer advice without knowing it.

Haydz said:
a peice of gaffa tape will fix the problem for the moment anyway

MrBredli said:
What's gaffa tape? .. if it is (or anything like) sticky tape, don't use it, it's just asking for trouble..
.. especially with hatchies.

Kersten said:
It was nice to offer the idea Haydz, but snakes can become stuck to the tape, and little ones find it difficult to unstick themselves.

TrueBlue said:
they can also lose their tounges. Sticky tape and snakes DO-NOT mix.

Cris said:
tape can come of and its really nasty if it sticks to a snake.

shamous1 said:
Not a good idea. I thought I'd use tape once and found the hatchling had crawled under the tiniest piece that had not been stuck down. I was told once, if it does not dry - don't use it.

I don't think we could have made it any clearer Haydz.. and now the snake suffers.. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back