Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssnakeboyy

Reaction score
ok i need some help i am getting a snake for my birthday in april but i can't choose between a coastal carpet or woma python it will be my first snake so what do you guys think would be a better snake (and just to let you know I will be turning twelve and i would like it to be medium to large snake but not olive python big)

cheers Brodie

I agree with Red.
Coastals get pretty big.
Find one you like the look of and you have room for and then research all of it's requirements so you can meet them.
Set up your enclosure with everything you need and get the temp gradients right before you go out and get one. :)

Get which ever one appeals to you the most. Also make sure after much research that you can give it all it's requirements.

Personally - I'd go the Woma - amazing snake, most have an awesome temperament.

Weird thread, I am considering a new snake and also considering between the two.
Being in Melbourne, having to upgrade my licence to Advanced just to own a Woma is ridiculous....so maybe just stick with the Coastal.

Whatever you choose, make sure to post some pics and let us all know.

I've started my collection by getting a Woma as my first python. While I don't have any other pythons in which to make comparisons. I have absolutely no regrets. She is beautiful in both appearance and temperament and has never struck at me once or even looked like she was going to.

However keep in mind it's been said that the Woma can be very bitey while they are hatchlings and my Woma was about 6-8 months old before I purchased her, and she came from a breeder with a good reputation for getting them eating and accustomed to being handled.

I'm sure that you or your parents will have done your research, but when you do get your python make sure you give it plenty of time to settle in to it's new environment before you start handling (very hard to resist doing but so worth it)

Good luck!

thanks guys

im gonna get one of each i'll get the woma this year and coastal next year when we build the new house
and some of you may know simon from everything reptile he said i probably won't need a uv light is that correct for the hatchies as well?

I'm another Woma lover :D
I got one as my first baby; she was about 4-5 weeks old from memory. Poor thing has had to put up with me learning along the way, but she's been fantastic - never struck or shown any form of aggression.
She's my pride and joy.

ok so what size enclosure would i need for a yearling i know it doesn't need to be very high because there land snakes but how long and wide should it be?

hang on not land snakes ground snakes (but still land snakes) :p

thanks that should please my dad saving energy

Our Womas are in 120 x 60 x 60 cages. Even though they are classed as ground dwellers my little girl loves to climb, she is just not very good at it. She can get up no problems but has issues getting back down so tends to fall alot. We set up a bit of a ladder for her to use going from the bottom of one side to the top of the other side. She climbs around on it all night, real little monkey.

No need for UV just heating of some sort.

SnakeRanch are awesome to deal with, this is where we got our sons Tanami. He was about 2-3 months old when we got him & he was so placid & has never missed a feed.

thanks my dad doesn't want to put my woma in a click clack because he would like my snakes to be a bit of like a feature so what enclosure should i use and what would i put in it. i would like to use sand as a substrait it might not be easy to clean but i don't like the look of news paper and would not mind dealing with my snake and his enclosure

thanks my dad doesn't want to put my woma in a click clack because he would like my snakes to be a bit of like a feature so what enclosure should i use and way would i put in it. i would like to use sand as a substrait it might not be easy to clean but i don't like the look of news paper and would not mind dealing with my and and his enclosure

You'll have to get a bigger/older snake then. Small snakes don't tend to like big spaces and can go off their food. It tends to stress then out a little bit. You "may" be ok if you put plenty of hides in there, but all that'll do as well is make your snake hide either way most of the time it will look like an empty enclosure.

ok i think ill ask everything reptile to make me a custom enclosure. if its nessecary

and Carnelian how much did you get your woma for

Last edited:
To make it more cost effective you might have to tell your dad that the click clack is a short term option. You'll find like all of us with Woma's have, that it won't take long for it to grow to a size that will require a larger enclosure. Mine went from a click clack to a 4ft enclosure in only about 6 months.

Also I use Wild Crystal as substrate for my woma, mine loves to dig and bury itself so I find that good to use and easy to keep clean.

ok thanks

I've heard that the different locals grow to different sizes and i think the WA ones are the smallest and the tanami's are the largest is that correct?

wow just found a thread saying the SA locals can get to 9ft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back