Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon in a month or 2 ur little stimmie will start to be less flighty, as it gets bigger and more brave, plus used to handling. Thats how it went with our little childreni. Well with him it took a little longer then 2 months.

Yeh, i would handle him for 5mins each day until he starts to get more comfortable and used to it, as he does up the amount of time u handle him say 10 mins each session and so on. U can normally tell when they have had enough of handling.

I myself haven't made my own enclosure yet but alot of people on here have and say it isnt that hard and its much cheaper, if u wanted to do it that way i say go for it. There are some great threads in the DIY forum giving instructions on how to make them, what material/equipment is needed, how much the overall cost is etc.

Yeh Im gonna go home after work and have a read and see what I come up with..and I might get the snake after I build the enclosure so I can just put him/her in there straight away. That way I might be able to get both snakes I want :) hahaha

I found with my stimmies the only thing that made them less skittish was ages, they never used to bite but just didn't like being handled. Now they are my most placid easy going snakes.

Good thinking, click clacks can be helpful aswell when u want more then 1 snake, whilst one goes in the newly built enclosure the other can go in a click clack whilst u build the second enclosure. :) thats my way of thinking anyway lol

- - - Updated - - -

I found with my stimmies the only thing that made them less skittish was ages, they never used to bite but just didn't like being handled. Now they are my most placid easy going snakes.

Thats exactly what happened with our childrens python, as he got bigger, he bacame better with handling and wasn't so flighty anymore.

My stimmie is in his enclosure that I can keep for his entire life so I'm thinking if I get the bredli I might just leave him on that enclosure but I'm a click clack or might get a heat pad and keep him out of the other enclosure..yeh every time my guy sees me he goes n hides I reckon only one thing can fix that time lol :)

- - - Updated - - -

so i gave my stimmie food today around 20 mins ago and he still hasnt eatten it as in his mouth on it but its taking its taking a long as time for him to eat it what does this generally indicate?

- - - Updated - - -

Any ideas?

so i gave my stimmie food today around 20 mins ago and he still hasnt eatten it as in his mouth on it but its taking its taking a long as time for him to eat it what does this generally indicate?

Yup.... he is prolly waiting for you to stop gawking at him so he can get stuck in :lol: You wouldnt like it if the waiter gave you a big T bone, then stood there to watch you eat it :shock::lol:

I might suggest that if he is only young but is in the enclosure that you will be keeping him in for his whole life that it may be a little big for him at this stage? maybe he is a little intimidated and you should get a little click clack for him until he grows up a little.
could be that he was comfortable in the beginning but with little brothers tapping on the glass and antagonising him he has freaked out a little?
just my 0.2

Chris I can't remember if you have done this anywhere but how about a few stats... Age and size of the snake, size of enclosure and a few pics. How long have you had him?

Just a few things to consider... Don't spend too much time up close to the enclosure and watch from a distance. Handle him a bit more and see if he starts to calm down in your hands more. If your siblings are constantly at the tank that certainly won't be helping matters. Be patient it still sees you as a giant predator and as such it is fair and right for him to hide when he thinks something is hovering close by looking for a feed.

You'll get there, but if you aren't confident with what is going on I would suggest holding off before you get a second snake. When you feel confident with your handling and husbandry skills then consider your next snake.

And if you have siblings (terrors) make sure you have a lock on whatever enclosure he is in..... If he is too small for the enclosure.... maybe lock your little brothers in the enclosure and keep the snake in his click clack :lol:

Better still.... put his click clack in the big enclosure and lock the big one.;)

If you leave the lid open on the CC in the locked big enclosure, the snake can decide where he feels happiest.:)

Well I've had the snake since early October.... Amd his around 10months now well wen u look at the substrate u can see that he had moved around...he loves chilling on my hand...and start to wonder up my arm and what not his around just over 30cm I reckon yeh but do u reckon his like this cause I change the scenery of the enclosure??nah siblings not allowed in my room anymore... I'm thinking of keeping the second snake on a table...next to the current one :) he seems chilled out n wen I goto pick him up he never stricken at me he ate yday so I might not take him out tonight maybe tomorrow I haven't been handling him everyday maybe I should ay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back