You know you are OLD when you can remember........

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when females think its cool to swear as loud as they can in public ......

:lol: When I was in primary school my friend and I use to walk home saying out loud.. "Bloody's in the bible, bloody's in the book. If you don't bloody believe me, have a bloody look." And we thought we were being very cool... lol

When I was in my early years of driving I had to stick my arm out of the window if I was turning right, wave it up and down if I was turning left and bend it up at the elbow if I was stopping. Now you would be fined by the cops for doing that.

Shops not only closed on a Sunday but also closed at noon on a Saturday.

You could buy "yesterday's" cakes at a penny each.

We got two mail deliveries a day during the week and one on a Saturday.

Thanks for starting this thread, it's great reading!!

-mum would buy all the girls in the same dress in different colours. As the youngest, I usually got pink.
-curly whirly's were called crazy mazes.
- primary school kids could leave school at lunch time to walk to the shops without asking and 5cents bought the minimum chips, enough to feed 2-3 kids
- I was in love with David Cassidy
- we watched Little House on the Prarie even though it wasn't cool
- we watched The Six Million Dollar Man and Starsky and Hutch which were definately cool
- on school holidays we stayed at our nan's and she sent us out to play after breakfast so she could do the washing in an old wringer, and scrub the floors on her hands and knees. She used a wood stove to heat water so even in the middle of Summer there was a fire in the kitchen.
-Big M sella fella ads and milkbars using a steam nozzle to heat up your Big M in winter
-most of the lollies were 2 or 3 a cent so 20 cents got you a bulging bag full.
- you could buy half a loaf of bread at the milk bar. The guy would cut the one you wanted and wrap it in tissue paper then sell the rest to someone else.

I love LHOTP!! :D

1. when Easter Show sample bags were free (or at least affordable)
2. When help desk personnel could actually help and didnt speak in a foreign accent from another country
3. when company loyalty meant something on both sides of the fence
4. When keeping reptiles was illegal

I remember when nintendo 64 was the new one :lol: My brother still has his super nintendo haha

I remember the Commodore 64 and you had to load programs via Cassette...then they brought out the Commodore Amiga 1000 and it was the most advanced computer anyone had seen... with graphics capability almost as good as todays.

In Crookwell (where I live) things are still very oldschool. We have a "Gasman" that fills up our gas bottles because we have no mains. The postman knows everyone's names and talks to you whenever he spots you. Our groceries are delievered for FREE and they know where you live without having to fill out forms etc.. Kids are ALWAYS out playing in the streets UNSUPERVISED (shock-horror!) and just have to be home by dark. Everyone knows your name and stops to chat no matter what they're doing. It's quite a lovely place, really :)

I remember the Commodore 64 and you had to load programs via Cassette...then they brought out the Commodore Amiga 1000 and it was the most advanced computer anyone had seen... with graphics capability almost as good as todays.

C64? You were flash. We had the Tandy TRS80.

I think this explains it all...! (great thread by the way! :))

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1920's, 30's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

hey took aspirin, ate blue cheese, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints...

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks some of us took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a Ute on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Red Rooster.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Fruit Tingles and some fire crackers to blow up frogs and lizards with...

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and cubby houses and played in creek beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video
games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape or DVD movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross buns at Easter time.......no really!

We were given BB guns and sling shots for our 10th birthdays,

We drank milk laced with Strontium 90 from cows that had eaten grass covered in nuclear fallout from the atomic testing at Maralinga in 1956.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

Footy had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

Our teachers used to belt us with big sticks and leather straps and bully's always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

Our parents got married before they had children and didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade'.....

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 70 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And, I too remember Hardie Ferodo... Getting up early with the Matchbox cars with my brother...
Parting with our old car - 'S' Series Valiant, push-button auto... to get a GL Galant... (I miss the valiant!)...
Going to school IN UNIFORM (and having to wear my brother's hand-me-downs)...
One dollar and two dollar notes with COMMONWEALTH of Australia...
Still have a jar of one-cent and two-cent pieces...
Change to decimal currency...
Taking your bank-book and 20cents to school each week...
Triangle milk at school...
1cent stamps...
Lawyers were rare, no-one needed them...
Respect was automatically given... (although sometimes not earnt)...
Memo books at school with spelling tests...
Maths tests and exams WITHOUT plastic brains (caluclators)...
Scraped knees when we came off our bikes - mother kissed it all better, no need for band-aids...
Bed-time when Fat-Cat went to bed...
Staying up late to watch MASH...
Baby-sitters when parents were away... (a very rare occasion)...
Christmas morning - take bottles of bubbly into your neighbours to share your goodies...
Pillow-Case on the end of your bed for Santa...
Christmas Pageant with a few floats...
Young Talent Time...
Bewitched...
Life and Times of Grizzly Adams...
Six-Million Dollar Man...
Bionic Woman...
Batman...

Lizard lady I remember the notes with Commonwealth of Australia printed on them but they were rare to find and were considered valuable if you did find one.

Stayed up late to watch Mash? I hated that show and its still on Prime of an afternoon.

Today I worked registers at work for pretty much first time and went to lick my thumb so I could separate the plastic bags. I stopped in time. Who ever use to worry about germs from someone licking their thumb, now we have a dirty damp sponge to wet our fingertips instead.

CHIPS - Littlest Hobo - Knightrider - The Henderson Kids

Christmas used to be 1 toy and then clothes and Christmas morning the streets were always full of kids playing with their one new toy (which they were grateful for!)

Mum heating up the baby's bottle on the stove - no microwave, and washing the cloth nappies in the twin tub washer.

Playing under the sprinkler or hose on a hot summer day with all the kids in the neighbourhood on any day of the week (no water restrictions)

CHIPS? OMG I remember them - two bikies wasn't it? I even remember just one scene from an episode where a fellow was chasing a truck when someone opened the tailgate of the truck and sent things flying at the bikies. One of them copped a bolt or something in his eye and crashed. Can't remember how he faired, though.

Littliest Hobo was a husky dog. Loved that show. Knightrider was that beautiful black car that could talk. I don't kow Henderson Kids.

you know your "getting" older when u can remember gettin lollies from the milk bar for 1 cent each lollie....not 5 for 20!!!!!!

When your kids say to you - "Mum/Dad, back in the old days, did you ....................."

(to which I reply "HELLO!!!!! I'm not THAT old! Well not yet anyway)

It wasn't CHIPS it was CHiPs (Californian Highway Patrol) - get it right if you're going to show your age... :)

Erik Estrada - I met him at a telethon in Auckland one year... as well as the dude from Hill Street Blues too...

Being able to carry a hunting knife on a plane in cabin luggage.
Spokey-dokes, wizz-fizz, fags, golliwogs, twisty straws, fluoro socks a'la Wham, Countdown, Lillee and Marsh, East and West Berlin, orig Star Wars on the big screen, playing in drainpipes, 1 lane each way from BrisVegas to Goldy.
Steve Irwin, AIDS, Bunnings and reptile licenses were unheard of.

Dad on his Indian motor bike.

Learning to drive on the Massey Ferguson tractor and later the old FJ ute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back