You know you are OLD when you can remember........

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
speedometers in cars were in MPH not KPH,
being a 'one car family' was normal, it did not mean you were on the brink of poverty
only having seatbelts in the front, and even then they weren't compulsory to wear.
chasing raindrops down the window and playing 'I spy' for entertainment.
'picinic' lunches on long drives. If we got fish and chips on a long drive it was an event, not expected.
No cargo barriers in station wagons back then - we used to dive in the back to find our books / toys
AM radio

4 wheel drive vehicles were a piece of farm machinery, not something commonly found in supermarket carparks

Car radio, optional extra, as was heaters and seat belts......air condt in cars was the window winder handle.

cross ply tyres....put a tiger in your tank petrol.....

Ampol petrol with boron...wow

:) it was the slogan for Esso if my memory hasn't faded too much, I definately remember it, just hazzy on the company.

It was only in recent years ago I remember pulling up at a servo in Cessnock and didn't know how to work the old fashion petrol bowzer. The guy came along and flicked some lever which triggered it into action.

Here in Kempsey we have a servo where you drive in and don't even have to get out the car. The guys fill ya car and if you got cash pay and drive off.

esso.jpg

LOL found it !!!

I remember when nothing mattered except playing with mates & getting into whatever we could.Nothing mattered except a good time.
Now I try to remember the important things so that I can pass onto others.

It is different as you get older/wiser.

Can you remember when APS forums were for fair dinkum.
Ian.

Here in Kempsey we have a servo where you drive in and don't even have to get out the car. The guys fill ya car and if you got cash pay and drive off.

A huge rareity that is now (not that I can really comment on how it used to be because I'm not old) :p But that is the only servo that my grandmother will go to as she wouldn't have a clue how to pump petrol for herself!

Last edited:
When Service stations actualy gave just that the attendand would fill your car with petrol watch the windscreen check the oil
Vcrs
Cassette players
Thanks Nev its nice to read all these posts life was not always faced pace and hectic as today

We should all have a 'back to basics' weekend. No sitting in front of the box all weekend. Get out & do something with the family. Hhmmmm........... sounding good.

when females think its cool to swear as loud as they can in public and carry on more discusting than males frighting and swaering and so on

Sitting nice and close to the kerosene heater.

Did someone mention the sawdust on the butchers floor?

No licence needed for a boy to "catch" a new pet snake or lizard.

At school , 20c for lunch would get you 5 potato cakes and more chips than you could eat . Everyone had cool cars [ but they didnt know it yet ] . 1975 got my first new bike , Norton commando 850 , $1775 on the road .

-mum would buy all the girls in the same dress in different colours. As the youngest, I usually got pink.
-curly whirly's were called crazy mazes.
- primary school kids could leave school at lunch time to walk to the shops without asking and 5cents bought the minimum chips, enough to feed 2-3 kids
- I was in love with David Cassidy
- we watched Little House on the Prarie even though it wasn't cool
- we watched The Six Million Dollar Man and Starsky and Hutch which were definately cool
- on school holidays we stayed at our nan's and she sent us out to play after breakfast so she could do the washing in an old wringer, and scrub the floors on her hands and knees. She used a wood stove to heat water so even in the middle of Summer there was a fire in the kitchen.
-Big M sella fella ads and milkbars using a steam nozzle to heat up your Big M in winter
-most of the lollies were 2 or 3 a cent so 20 cents got you a bulging bag full.
- you could buy half a loaf of bread at the milk bar. The guy would cut the one you wanted and wrap it in tissue paper then sell the rest to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back