Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
I have a person I've corresponded with who is worried about getting bitten by their Python. I'm guessing to say the Python is only a yearling! I've given a bit of dodgey advice (something to do with chain-mail and a welding helmet) on how to settle both the Handler and handlee! Perhaps it would be interesting to hear about how others overcame their fear or apprehension of being bitten and some advice for new herpers in the field!

p.s Dear Kurt, I leave you to the masses!

get bitten a few times that should settle his nerves and he will realise that it doesn't hurt that much. just tell him to hold it as much as he can when ever he can it should settle down unless he is a real bugger, i recon with a younin 1 1/2 weeks of full on handling should get him used to it

How big is the biggest snake been bitten by sxe. I know yearling wont hurt. I got drilled by a big wild bhp some time ago and that hurt. Any one who says that wouldnt has a great pain threshold

Little fellas don't hurt once he finds that out he won't care.
I'll have to say i've been bitten by big BHPs, big olives and i'll tell you it hurts, getting feeding bites from snakes this size can do some damage.
The worst bite i've had was from a large Darwin carpet.

Leather gloves can be a really good way to go with snakes that are cranky. I have been nailed by my 9 foot Diamond during feeding and it DOES hurt.Up untill they are about 2 years old it doesn't hurt.

Having just got my snake a month ago am a little scared of getting bitten but nowhere near as much as when i first got her. Because she it most likely to bite me when i am picking her out of her cage i wear thinish gloves and then when she is completely out i take the gloves off.

i was a bit nervis the first time but now with time and pratice i have no worries stickin it in :lol:

I've been bitten by some small burms (6-7ft.) and it really hurt. They have some big a$$ teeth. The glove thing works well when 'taming' snakes. I used a glove when I was getting my female Amazon Tree Boa used to being handled and it worked like a charm. But most small snake bites don't hurt. They startel people more than anything. Keep a spray bottle of vinigar near by. That way if they bit and hold on give them a spray in the mouth and not only will they let go, chances are they'll never go at another person again. They hate vinigar. Any alcohol works too. I'm not sure about this with a small snake though.

Don't hesitate when going to pick it up to handle as they definitely sense you aren't comfortable.Regular handling generally settles them down and they should quieten down as they get older.Obviously this doesn't apply to every snake.........

I find that they will strike when initially getting them out but after a little handling they calm down.Gloves are a good way to start off slowly and get used to a snappy animal.......

I agree with the other advice already posted.
I always try to go for gentle, deliberate handling over time.
Only my Olive was ever bitey really, but she is a sweetheart now.
I always tried to take my time with her, and observe lots, get to know how to 'read' her, then steady confident moves, always gently. Also, I'd opt for times when she was most comfortable, not after a feed or before a shed, also she seems happiest at night, fair enough too, I also hate being woken up.

There is one piece of advice I read ages ago (possibly on Melissa Kaplin's site, but I'm not sure), that suggested getting the animal used to your scent as a way of 'taming' them. The advice was to put on an old t-shirt, excercise untill you get smelly, and then put this in the animal's enclosure for a few days to have them become accustomed to you and your scent.

I found this advice strange enough to remember it, but too kooky to try it.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else read it? Has anyone tried it?
Who knows, maybe it's not kooky at all and works a treat...

Adam said:
Leather gloves can be a really good way to go with snakes that are cranky.

Gloves freaked my boy out. He only ever struck at me while I was wearing gloves. I only used them the once. I've had him just over a year and he still hasn't bitten me (Looks like my first bite will be a big one :cry: )

Thats wierd your snake bit at the gloves but every snake is different. I have a couple of big snakes all over 6 foot that bite anything!!! One of my male diamonds bites about 3 times within the first 5 seconds of having your hand in there,but with all the other ones it actually deters them from biting.If I put my bare hand in there I always get bit but if I use the glove they don't even strike and then once they are out I take off the glove. 8)

I was using a makeshift hook to get my Darwin out just for the simple fact that she bit me 4 or 5 times before I could untangle her from her tree branch. The bites didn?t hurt but it was the anticipation of ?will she? or ?won?t she? bite. I suppose you kind of get spooked, and I swear she picks up on it. Now I just dive my hand in straight up to her when she?s not really looking, she turns to my hand, the tongue whips out a couple of times (I think she recognises human scent) and then all seems cool!?.Out you come Baby! Sounds like a dating technique I used to use! hee hee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back