Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Erin,
Lets see if I can put your mind at ease.
Some pythons can be a bit snappy as hatchlings, but get a toothbrush and hit yourself in the hand with it, thats what a hatchling biting feels like. After being handled for a few weeks 98% will settle down.
Ive attached a photo of my mates 6 year holding my coastal, He is 9 and about 10 foot, (about 8 foot in photo) If Mia can do it SO CAN YOU :)

She's so cute!

If you are going to handle a snake. DONT do it after holding one of your rabbiys. Thats just asking to get bitten.

just for some perspective I have a female bredli that is absolute satan spawn. Bites first and asks questions later. you're welcome to come over and play with her :)

Ok Erin,
Lets see if I can put your mind at ease.
Some pythons can be a bit snappy as hatchlings, but get a toothbrush and hit yourself in the hand with it, thats what a hatchling biting feels like. After being handled for a few weeks 98% will settle down.
Ive attached a photo of my mates 6 year holding my coastal, He is 9 and about 10 foot, (about 8 foot in photo) If Mia can do it SO CAN YOU :)

How much can/are you supposed to handle them as hatchlings?

See, I have this idea (which I may have just decided myself for no reason, I'm not sure), that you're not meant to handle them too mcuh, therefore how would they get used to being handled?

Like I said, I'm not totally against the idea, I'd actually like to overcome this fear, but I don't think forcing myself to live with a snake in a few weeks time is exactly the way to do it.

If you are afraid of them but do respect them, the best thing I can do is actually LET ben get one.

If its in a secure enclosure/tub, its not going to get out so you dont have to worry about that, its just a matter or gradually introcuding handling to you, im sure you will fall in it! :)

It is a phobia that you can get over!
Have a chat to JasonL on this site.
His wife was so bad even the thought of them she would wake up screaming!
Slowly and surely she has started to get used to them and now can actually touch one!
And lucky for Jason, she has allowed to let him get some!

LOL Erin-Jane I used to be worse than you - I would shudder if I saw the picture of a snake! I grew up with a mum who was terrified of everything - snakes, spider, grasshoppers, the lot.

I was determined my daughter wouldn't grow up to be scared because of my phobias so I have always tried to approach wildlife with a relaxed attitude - encouraging her to look but not touch with spiders, handle harmless insects etc. In this vein, I took her to the Australian Reptile Park for a day trip and they had a really great hands-on reptile show. The girlfirend I went with and I were having a great time handling the snakes while our kids ran around on the grass! I went home completely hooked and put down a deposit on our first python three days later.

We now have a Stimson's hatchling at home who is the most placid, docile gorgeous little creature ever. Our 3yo daughter handles her with no problems and even our biggest, blokeiest mate who is terrified of snakes handled her the other night for the first time, and he didn't want to put her down!

We are planning a Bredli next, and as much as you are worried about him getting a "huge and terrifying" snake, they are actually considered to be among the most placid and gentle snakes as adults. Although they may be a bit nippy as youngsters, a bite from a hatchy shouldn't really hurt and I imagine it would be similar to the teething nips you get from a puppy (not been bitten yet so can't compare it to anything!) They tend to settle down as adults, especially if handled regularly.

I would take Kane up on his offer, because once you have a chance to handle a few snakes, your attitude towards them changes completely and you can really appreciate their beauty and grace. If you approach it with an open mind, and try to overcome your expectations and preconceived notions of how a snake behaves, you may find that you are really impressed and quickly become hooked. Who knows, you might be on here in a couple of months asking for advice about your own python!?

Good luck!

EDIT: also, Tatelina is right. it would be very hard to forget to close a click clack correctly. You could keep a hatchy in there for a year, by which time you would have overcome any fear of snakes - or moved out! ;)

Or you could do a course with Taronga Zoo to get ovet your fear...it was on TV recently.....

I was laughing my head off. :)

I've had a few offers from people on here to come and look at their snakes so I think that's the best option for now.

Though I'm about 99% sure that Ben will get a bredli anyway regardless of whether I overcome this fear in the next few weeks or not!

thanx people, I think she's slowly coming round to the idea:D She's even willing to go have a look at some and maybe actually handle one...

Still got a bit of work ahead of me though, but i ain't gonna give up yet (if ever:lol:)

Ben

Hey Erin Jane I would suggest you get yourself tagged by a hatchy. I know it sounds odd but since i got tagged by a small python. i feel alot more scared of cats (not really scared at all) than pythons and that is because cat bites hurt alot more than a bite from a small python. You will probably bleed but it really, really in all honesty doesn't hurt, the teeth are too small or too sharp or something.

get a hatchie and handle it as often as you can, that way your confidance will grow, as the snake grows. btw i just go my first bredli hatchie, no one else in the family will go near it so if you dont want to touch it, just dont.

Thanks everyone. Ben & I went out for dinner with my family last night because my step brother has snakes and Ben thought that would help convince me... What he didn't count on was my dad's reaction to snake! hahaha... He can certainly see where I get it from and how much work it will take for me to overcome this fear!!

I know he'll get one whether I'm ready or not... Next argument will be over where it's going to live... or maybe where I'm going to live?! hahaha...

Mine kept stiking at me for the first eight months. When the bites start to sting a little they grow up and stop anyway - get an MD - real friendly!

Why do you even have to touch it......?

True but if they want to have fun when they take them off they have to be a bit considerate:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back